Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Engines and Mufflers

Engines and Mufflers Having problems or need advice on Engines or Mufflers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 07:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default ys 56 will not tune right ...

hi guys,
i have this engine in my evo50 useing a hatori pipe running 15% cool power with 2oz of castor oil.

i cant seem to tune this engine it starts to bog full throttle when i land to tune the high and try spooling up again to stops running. so i did the pinch test im getting about 4-5sec before it dies. i dont get it. i think the mid is ok now if i go any leaner the engine over speeds in a hover. im wandering if its not the pipe?? im not sure this pipe is for a 56.

does anybody run the outrage 56 pipe?? do you like it??
hirobo fan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2012, 01:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

The outrage 56 pipe will work on the 56 pretty well. I would suggest you try a pipe made for the 56 as it just won't breathe right with the smaller pipe. Also try 30% heli nitro fuel, Cool Power or Rotor Rage, and forget about the castor. You should have better results.

Tom M
exfokkerflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2012, 09:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by exfokkerflyer View Post
Also try 30% heli nitro fuel, Cool Power or Rotor Rage, and forget about the castor. You should have better results.

Tom M
The regulators on YS engines seem to like low viscosity oil packages in the fuel. Adding castor may be causing some of the troubles you're experiencing. Try the fuels Tom mentioned. I personally like Rotor Rage 30%, but Cool Power is also good stuff
Old 12-04-2012, 06:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadL View Post
The regulators on YS engines seem to like low viscosity oil packages in the fuel. Adding castor may be causing some of the troubles you're experiencing. Try the fuels Tom mentioned. I personally like Rotor Rage 30%, but Cool Power is also good stuff
How about power master 15? 18 percent of oil.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

I tried an EVO pipe on mine at first and didn't like it. I switched to the Hatori pipe exclusively for the YS 56 and with the needles set right it runs great. I found that the hover needle (main) plays a big part in the final tuning. My idle needle is set at one full turn open; the main or hover needle is set at almost two full turns open and the high speed is open approximately 1 1/4 turns. With these settings my motor temps after a flight are around 180 degrees. I'm running Wildcat CY 30% nitro with 23% synthetic oil. Hope this helps.
Bobs is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 10:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobs View Post
I tried an EVO pipe on mine at first and didn't like it. I switched to the Hatori pipe exclusively for the YS 56 and with the needles set right it runs great. I found that the hover needle (main) plays a big part in the final tuning. My idle needle is set at one full turn open; the main or hover needle is set at almost two full turns open and the high speed is open approximately 1 1/4 turns. With these settings my motor temps after a flight are around 180 degrees. I'm running Wildcat CY 30% nitro with 23% synthetic oil. Hope this helps.
What hatori pipe?
Old 12-14-2012, 11:21 AM   #7 (permalink)

Hatori Sab 55 for YS 56 motor.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
What do you use to measure the temp?
Old 12-15-2012, 04:19 AM   #9 (permalink)

Raytek laser temp gun. I take several readings off the head and record the highest reading.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Raytek laser temp gun. I take several readings off the head and record the highest reading.
Cool how about those temp gun sold at harbor freight? This one: http://www.harborfreight.com/non-con...ter-96451.html
Old 12-16-2012, 06:10 AM   #11 (permalink)

The one at Harbor Freight (Cen-Tech) looks very similar to the Raytek and is a little less expensive. I've had mine for over nine years and it's a great tool for measuring temperatures on everything, even the oil temp in turkey cookers.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
The one at Harbor Freight (Cen-Tech) looks very similar to the Raytek and is a little less expensive. I've had mine for over nine years and it's a great tool for measuring temperatures on everything, even the oil temp in turkey cookers.
To be honest. I love Harbor Freight store. I bought many things and it works decent. What is the model of you'rs. And also what the temp for breaking in the engine suppose to be? And when it's already broken in? Do we tune for smoke or temp? It's my first 3 needle engine. On os 50 hyper I tune by feeling the back plate.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in