Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Thunder Tiger 60/70/90

Thunder Tiger 60/70/90 Raptor 60/70/90 Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 06:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Fair Price?

Looking at getting a larger size heli. I currently have a Trex 450 and 500. I have a friend I fly with that has a TT raptor 90SE that I have flown and really like. I don;t know much about them but he has offered to sale it to me. Trying to see what it is worth and if this is the way I should go. The engin is a ys91sr with a kasama header and Hatori sb19 pipe. It has jr8717 servos and a GY520 gyro and brush less tail servo.

This would be my first nitro.

So any input on what its worth?

Would this be a good way to get into a bigger heli?

Last edited by K-Dog; 07-04-2012 at 03:00 PM..
K-Dog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2012, 09:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think it would be mostly up to you keeping in mind that the Raptor is old. You have a few other heli's so I assume you know how to fly. Bigger heli's are easy to see but much more dangerous.If your friend set it up get ready to learn the setup on a raptor. I personally like my raptor with a os 70 but think if I had some better upgrades (like a 90 size engine) it would only get better.
I have seen video's guys doing everything with raptors. I am a want to be hardcore 3D pilot.
Hard to decide what the heli is worth do to electronics and upgrades.This stuff cost cost money. I always look on ebay to get prices on used combined with shipping of course.
Raptors are heavy and stable oldies but goodies. YS motors are supposed to be good as far as what I read.
How much does he want for it? What kind of blades,? type of blades, size,? Tail servo? Receiver? Whats the history on it?
Ask yourself what you will need to fly (igniter, glow wrench, starter. flight box ) How much in your budget for these items?
Just my opinion
My friend at the field just gave me his broken Raptor 70 free and I put about $200 into it and I am now flying it. Most other good heli's of this size are gonna be more expensive than a raptor.
djaypro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 11:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

He is asking $700 and I have flown it so I know it flys well. I will have to put a receiver on it and get a starter. The history is it is brand new I help him get it ready and fly in the first time a week ago. The tail is a futaba servo but I will have to chech witch one.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Personally, I dont think I would pay that much. Raptors are pretty old. No ccpm. Ys 90 is worth $200 used, not sure on the servos or the gyro, Good Carbon fiber blades roughly $150. I dont like to upgrade as my flying style gets better I would rather start with good 3d parts (servos and gyro in this case that Im not sure about). A 90 size heli should be ready to do hard to do backward circles, Tic toc's huricanes etc,etc..I would investigate used prices on the gyro and servos.
Im still not the best opinion, I dont have mine flying right at the moment. Where I fly there giving these heli's away.
I love my Raptors though my 50 is a great flyer. I would also look here in the classifieds for priceing.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It seem they are going around the $500 price range. It being old would it still be a good heli for a few years?
Old 07-06-2012, 06:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

i own a r90 with a ys91 st and futaba servos and a 611 gyro. it also has a gv-1 governor. i love the way it fly's.it will do anything, just a little bigger than some.i got it used for about 700 about this time last summer. now just my opinion, but i would not sell it for 700 now.i coundn't replace it and the equiptment for 2x that
rcflier1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2012, 06:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I again wouldn't own one if I didn't think that. Raptors are the best heli for the price in my opinion. I never had enough $ to put into my heli to really make it great. Honestly used these are going for cheap. Like RCflier1 says "when you own it you won't want to sell it" cause as you already know there great flyers with the right equipment.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

All things old are not by description ripe to be abandoned (me included!)
The Raptors are great helis - stable, easy to repair, relatively cheap, adaptable, solid and they have great flying characteristics - excellent to learn on once you can do basic FFF etc!

I can't comment on US prices as we all get stuffed in the UK where everything is more expensive, but $700 doesn't sound too bad for what you are getting.
1) you know the heli and its previous owner; you've even flown it - a good start.
2) assuming you stay friendly, he will help you with set up, advice and repairs when you crash (as you will)
3) in the UK, using a second hand airframe and engine but new electronics and blades, it cost me £850 to get my 90 airborne, but as I say, remember there's a premium price for living in the UK

My 2 cents worth.
mCPX V2
KeithT is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2012, 06:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflier1 View Post
i own a r90 with a ys91 st and futaba servos and a 611 gyro. it also has a gv-1 governor. i love the way it fly's.it will do anything, just a little bigger than some.i got it used for about 700 about this time last summer. now just my opinion, but i would not sell it for 700 now.i coundn't replace it and the equiptment for 2x that
Before a month ago a guy was selling an r90 SE and i was interesting to buy it for 700 usd.I allready have 2 R90 se and i convert them to gassers that's wy i need that heli just to keep it for nitro.So i ask this guy if he have any pictures to see this heli,that guy promise me he will email to me the pictures of this heli after two days because he was not in home at that time.
I accept and i was waiting for 2 days but the guy he didn't respond back, so i pm him again and he told me i'm sorry my friend i took this morning the heli to the field just to fly it and cheq it if everything is ok and i change my mind i don't want to sell it anymore i'm going to keep it because it flyies excellent.I was very sad.
gppms is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2012, 10:50 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks for all the input I am going to get it even if it is a little high I have been looking and the electronics are top notch as well as being able to know that it flies and the help he has given me and will give me balances it all out in my mind. I am sure I will love it as all I read is people love there raptor.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:40 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just converted my Raptor 90SE to FBL. I plan to convert my other Raptor 90SE soon.
Pretty easy to do. I will use the Align DFC head for the 2nd one.

"Old" doesn't equal "Obsolete"
Parts are still easy enough to get, and the flying weight is pretty close to the Align 700.
The TT uses higher quality material than Align, so parts are a little more expensive, but they last longer too.
ticedoff8 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2012, 08:01 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

wait till you try an auto with the 90, it doesn't want to land, it just floats in
rcflier1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2012, 02:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Congratz K-dog I think you'll be happy with it. I taco'ed mine over the week not sure if I lost signal or what took some hard damage surprisingly being I was just wanting to pump a little fuel through it. "didn't even flick the mode switch" Just cruised around was flying great when it happened no response from my elevator stick move. Not haveing the canopy on it didn't help . Spektrum 7000 onboard battery and tray ripped off in the ground. Blades, boom, supports one pitch servo, all bad. Clutch bell has no sides on it anymore being the reciever and battery came off had to let the engine just burn out. Im sure the main gear is toast and torque tube. I had plenty of time to hit throttle hold when it went into a dive but could'nt do anything to save it.
Guess Im gonna be working on my 50 for a while til I get the $ for new parts.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:24 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Dog View Post
Thanks for all the input I am going to get it even if it is a little high I have been looking and the electronics are top notch as well as being able to know that it flies and the help he has given me and will give me balances it all out in my mind. I am sure I will love it as all I read is people love there raptor.
A little high?

You are getting a great deal. Just check the prices of the individual items you mentioned in your first post....it's all top gear.... That's really a "good mate" price!

I don't understand djaypro statement "pretty old". They are proven design and they work and that price is less than half the replacement cost.
Burt37 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 09:41 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Raptor 90 trex 700 trade

Seeing this Post,
I just traded a guy a couple of trex 500's all basically stock for a raptor 90 with top end electronics, os91 with cline mod, gv-1 and a trex 700n still brand new never fired up.
I ended up just giving him all my 500 parts and items for these two heli's. All electronics are very upper end.
What do you guys think? It has been over 12 years or so since I have done nitro's. been an electric guy for awhile. I still have my trex 600E electric though
bergen flier is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 01:21 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you were tired of the 500s, then this was an okay upgrade.

Get used to paying $30 a gallon for fuel and expect to get 5 to 6 flights per gallon. Oh, and I hope you kept that old starter from 12 years ago. And keep a roll of paper towels in your car - they drip oil all over the place.

Is the R90 & the 700n both flybared? If so, you should look into mod'ing the R90 to use the Align 700LE head - I did that to my R90 and it made a big difference.
The R90 either had the all plastic head or a mix of plastic & metal. Before you blow any money on upgrading the head, keep in mind that if you convert to the all metal Align 700LE head, you get more collective and more cyclic without binding.

Good luck.
ticedoff8 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in