Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 03:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default KDS crap

The KDS Flymentor is a piece of crap; positioning mode is useless above 6 feet, so what is the sense in the whole thing? Who flies at or under 6 feet!
The so called "balance" mode may work in total calm wind conditions, but then any properly set up machine can fly with hands off the cyclic (in total calm), so the KDS becomes only one more piece of the puzzle that can crash you into the ground! Why bother with it?
I bought one cheap, new in a box, tried it on a Trex 450 and the above are my conclusions
Capt. Joe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2013, 04:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Each to their own but not my experience at all. The up to 6ft position mode is a useful tool and a great help for the novice learning the first steps in hovering especially in all orientations. If you require a technology to fly the heli for you, there are many other more expensive alternatives. But yes I agree it is only a cheap basic system that does a job of work.
pril250 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 04:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1
alchemy66 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 05:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by pril250 View Post
Each to their own but not my experience at all. The up to 6ft position mode is a useful tool and a great help for the novice learning the first steps in hovering especially in all orientations. If you require a technology to fly the heli for you, there are many other more expensive alternatives. But yes I agree it is only a cheap basic system the does a job of work.
+1
ece31316 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 05:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Joe View Post
The KDS Flymentor is a piece of crap; positioning mode is useless above 6 feet, so what is the sense in the whole thing? Who flies at or under 6 feet!
The so called "balance" mode may work in total calm wind conditions, but then any properly set up machine can fly with hands off the cyclic (in total calm), so the KDS becomes only one more piece of the puzzle that can crash you into the ground! Why bother with it?
I bought one cheap, new in a box, tried it on a Trex 450 and the above are my conclusions

I can certainly understand your frustrations.
"Flymental" is a @##$^ to set up.
However, yesterday, after setting it up, i flew hands free (for about a minute, wind blew me sideways.)
Then I flipped the switch turning flymental off.....
It makes a difference. A solid difference.
It was worth the cash to me.
I hope you get yours set right. Like i said, it is a pain in the a@@.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I guess non of the electronic control systems on the market today are 'plug and play' and they all require setting up with a sufficient amount of learning curve.

When one starts off on building and flying helis a simple task like setting up the tail and gyro seems complicated. As one progresses and acquires a greater understanding things do become easier.

Anyone following this forum and the countless threads pertaining to any new system introduced can see the widespread of trials and tribulations which constitute part of the joy and enjoyment of this hobby.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I guess non of the electronic control systems on the market today are 'plug and play' and they all require setting up with a sufficient amount of learning curve.

When one starts off on building and flying helis a simple task like setting up the tail and gyro seems complicated. As one progresses and acquires a greater understanding things do become easier.

Anyone following this forum and the countless threads pertaining to any new system introduced can see the widespread of trials and tribulations which constitute part of the joy and enjoyment of this hobby.
I agree!
It's all about LEARNING.
The joy is in the accomplishment.
I have spent endless hours here learning to set up and fly.
That's why I very seldom ask questions.
I love reading all the posts!
Thanks guys!
Old 02-13-2013, 05:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I will say this though............
A lot of the flymental problems can be resolved with one simple solution.

When you set it up, take the flymental gyro in HAND. Move it around, and watch the relationship between the control surfaces and the gyro movement.

That is the key and will resolve most problems.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thumbs down

I have Flymentor on three of my helis and DJI products on three other more expensive helis, altogether 6 helis. For the price, the FM is well worth it as it is much cheaper than DJI products but the capability is not that far behind. But the FM is not designed for flybarless birds (I know some one has managed to tweak the system to work in flybarless helis) and that is big downside for me. If your need is to have a self-leveling system in a heli that you can fly like a co-axial or a 4-chanel heli and don't mind flying a flybar heli, no need to look elsewhere. The FM will suffice. Luckily for me, I have an expert to install the unit in all my helis so I don't have the headache in setting it up. I only need to do some trimming where necessary. If I have a big problem, just take it to him to fix it.

Regarding position holding, mine works only up to 2-3 feet but I don't use it anyway. What I like most about FM is the self-leveling feature. It lets me concentrate on the direction, height and speed in my flying and less tension during flight. I don't do 3D.

Last edited by kittiwat1; 02-14-2013 at 08:32 AM..
kittiwat1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 08:13 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

OK, I did not mean to badmouth to a degree of anything other than where my purpose is, which is flying around people in public places and the benefits of the FM do not outweigh the fact that it places one more, not really necessary, weak link between a pilot's control and the machine behavior. I just did not think I can trust it.
I actually did not find the setting up all the cumbersome. Except for the fact that I could not get my laptop to recognize it and I had to bring it back inside to my desktop for every little change..... now, that sucked the big!
I am going to eventually get into a system that is more expensive - boils down to getting only what you payed for.....
Old 02-14-2013, 08:26 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
OK, I did not mean to badmouth to a degree of anything other than where my purpose is, which is flying around people in public places and the benefits of the FM do not outweigh the fact that it places one more, not really necessary, weak link between a pilot's control and the machine behavior. I just did not think I can trust it.
I actually did not find the setting up all the cumbersome. Except for the fact that I could not get my laptop to recognize it and I had to bring it back inside to my desktop for every little change..... now, that sucked the big!
I am going to eventually get into a system that is more expensive - boils down to getting only what you payed for.....
For my 10p's worth, FM helped me so much when I first started trying to fly heli's. It's brilliant for those first baby steps when practicing hovering and slow forward circuits. I don't use mine now as I have advanced a little bit but I do have another FBL controller with a bailout that I trust to do what it says on the tin (and it does) . I am now trying to master some loops and rolls and I know for a fact I would not be anywhere near this stage were it not for Flymentor. Yes it's not the best but it certainly is the cheapest and for what it costs it does the self level really well.
alchemy66 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 10:54 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

i agree with pril250 and alchemy66 , its got its place and use .. and it is value for money for just that purpose .. maybe capt.joe you are just too advanced as a pilot to be playing with these aids?
munkymush is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 11:29 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by munkymush View Post
.. maybe capt.joe you are just too advanced as a pilot to be playing with these aids?
LOL, thanks but no! I can't even fly nose in. But, I only fly scale-like and no tricky stuff...
Check out my videos here: http://www.marinesupportonline.com/heliflight2.htm
Old 02-14-2013, 04:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice videos and heli. I don't know on which of them you tried Flymentor but it looks like your type of flying could actually benefit greatly with a well setup system as long as it is used on an electric rather than a nitro heli.

With a setup flymentor you could divert more of the effort to camera work without worry over tipping your bird. My 2c.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:58 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
,,,,,looks like your type of flying could actually benefit greatly with a well setup system as long as it is used on an electric rather than a nitro heli.

With a setup flymentor you could divert more of the effort to camera work without worry over tipping your bird. My 2c.
That's what I thought, but as I sad, I did not find the benefits worthy of an additional, possibly weak link that could cause a crash if it fails. I have to save up for a more sophisticated system with GPS.....
Old 02-15-2013, 08:44 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I agree that with a GPS driven system you will be much better of. There are no known brake downs or failures with Flymentor unless of course it gets damaged by a crash. For the years I had experience they proved reliable with only setting up issues for those who found it daunting initially in getting their head round it.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:17 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

All I can say is that it takes one heck of a lot of guts to fly around all of those ship's masts. For me, that would be a recipe for guaranteed disaster.

Quote:
LOL, thanks but no! I can't even fly nose in. But, I only fly scale-like and no tricky stuff...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in