Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography

Aerial Videography and Photography Aerial Video/Photo from R/C Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2014, 01:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Vibration mitigation with TT for video

Threw the "video" in there to keep it topic correct. After all thats all I do. Stills and video.

I learned this from a guy named Ray. As in Ray's Authoritative DVD series. Great bunch of copter wisdom and techniques.

Get out an old torque tube, the tube, and cut a square out of the end. I wonder if there is a PVC size that would do?
Now the TT bearing, only one is needed and should be super glued to the TT shaft in the middle. I have heard many positions but like $eks maybe its a personal preference.
Looking into the front gear box make a sharpie mark on the umbrella gear. That will be your witness mark as it were.
There are four splines on the Align TT shaft. Make a mark on one of the splines on the opposite end. That will be your second witness mark. Turn the TT shaft and look into the little square box you cut out. You may or may not see a slight wobble. Do all four. One will be the best. Ray suggests buying about 4 or 5 TT shafts and one will be dead nuts.(I think that is an integer without minutes in surveying). Correct me if I'm wrong.
Carefully mark your best position of the four. And which side is which. I just had to redo it myself after having my copter apart for a couple months. Like which end was tail and my notes that were so clear two months ago were undecipherable. Age.
Do the same for the tail gears. Uncouple the ball link and take off the tail assembly and do as with the front.
I've struggled with vibration for years and this is a real heavy hitter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	L1020282.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	558873   Click image for larger version

Name:	L1020281.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	558874   Click image for larger version

Name:	L1020283.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	558875   Click image for larger version

Name:	L1020284.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	558876  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2014, 11:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Have had incredible footage since I started with stock 700 trex and a PS1 mount. All my problems have been the servo based gimbal just not being fast enough and the gains too high on the brushless gimbal.

As for the torque tube mine has been golden. I've added 3 bearings in the 700 boom and went with 4 in the 800 boom. I turn the gyro gain to 0 with main blades off and tail blades off and spin up. I've never had bad vibrations from a torque tube. Do you get any skid shake? If my frame or skids are vibrating I'll have vibes. I went to titanium turn buckles from SWB and used that to nail the tracking. I didn't do it visually, but I use the skid shake as a guide now. My 800 blades have a nasty bad static cone and if I track the blades visually it's really bad shakes.

Would love to see your current rig and throw any ideas your way.
Mapoff is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2014, 01:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Never had the skid shake. I use these Vario Canada skids made for heavy copters. They are inj. molded nylon.

Static cone? What is that?

I have a PS1 pan and tilt gimbal.
Yeah the turnbuckles are the only way to go to dial in blade tracking.
I take maybe too much time going through the set up of my copter. But it is damned near perfect. I use F1 Rockets advice with HC3sx and set up. He is a virtuoso with copters.
I use a digital pitch guage. Its alot faster finding zeros.
Just dialed in the Head speed again 1600.
The tail pitch is a little too nose right at zero stick. Gotta dummy that down a bit. Then the front mount tube assembly. Then the video downlink wiring, battery. Then what I always dread. The first flight after assembly, again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in