Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Night Flying

Night Flying Night Flying Helis Info

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2015, 12:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default LEDs without resistors

So I made some incorrect assumptions and didn't order all the correct stuff. When I was reading through the diy blade thread, a couple guys said that the 0805 LEDs could be wired directly to a 1s lipo with the exception of red. This is apparently not the case since I just burned up a few during testing. Is this just not true at all? Or do some 0805's have a higher forward voltage that can be run directly without a resistor? I just figured since I have to order more stuff anyway, it would be nice to not have to deal with resistors if thats possible. Thanks!

Btw, I bought white and green, both with forward voltage of 3.0 to 3.2
RCHN #232
quinn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2015, 01:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My experience is that some can be wired that way, but they do not last very long that way and will need to be replaced. What seems to happen is that some of them end up taking more current than the others and burn out very prematurely. The whites seemed to go first for me and the greens and blues lasted longer. Anything that was yellow, pink or orange just didn't work at all.

I'm sure that this all depends on which LEDs you buy and their manufacturing specifications as well.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ok thanks, so I guess it's just right at that limit where some work for a while and others don't at all, so probably better to just do it right with resistors. No big deal, its just that today is my first day of my 10 day holiday break from work and I was planning on entertaining myself building night blades and flying them. Is it likely I would find the proper resistors at a common electronics store? Or most likely need to be ordered?
RCHN #232
Old 12-23-2015, 02:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I also did not have the right resistors when I went to build mine. A single radio shack resistor was soldered in line then trial and error for LED placement to yield proper intensity.

TRM Power
CAUTION - my posts are based on my experiences, yours may be different.
fastflyer20 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2015, 04:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I read a write up about this, from memory it was along the lines that without a resistor to limit the maximum current you will typically see them blow. The problem is that as the LEDs run, they heat up, and as they heat their internal resistance drops, so more current flows through them, so they heat up more, etc.

The end result is a runaway effect which will ultimately break the LED. And if you have several LEDs connected, after the first goes, the effect begins again with the next.

The gist of it as I understood was that you need a resistor in the circuit. And so I plan to keep soldering 0805 resistors to each LED.
myxiplx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2015, 02:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

So here's an idea, what about life for the batteries? You could get a 200mah 2s and split the cells. That would give a 200mah 3.3 volt battery for each blade. That should work perfect for LEDs with 3.2 forward voltage right?
RCHN #232
Old 10-27-2016, 03:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

i used nte 30024 and 30019 bought at a local electronics shop. both 0603 package white 4.2 forward voltage max and blue 4v max respectively. I charge 160mah lipos to 4v. seem to be ok, ran them for a few hours on my bench supply before using them as well. I'd say they have 30 or so flights on them.
zzyzx_cm is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in