Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Warp 360

Warp 360 Compass Warp 360 Model Helicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2014, 07:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default "Non driven tail"

Explain this to me please. I know the Warp has a belted tail, but I've seen videos where the tail can stop spinning independent of the main rotor.

So how does it work? I really like the look of these helis, so I may pick one up. I just hate not knowing what everyone is talking about.

Lynx Team Pilot
Pitch-Itch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2014, 08:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's only non-driven during autos. Any time the motor is under power, the tail is being driven.

The easiest way to explain it is that the tail is driven off the motor. When the motor stops, the tail stops. Other designs have the tail driven off the main shaft. So, when doing an auto, the tail still spins because the blades make the main shaft spin. This doesn't mean that if you hit throttle hold, the tail immediately stops. When I baby auto down from 3-4 feet when landing during a normal flight, the tail usually stops just as the skids are touching down.

The non-driven tail makes auto performance better. However, there are tricks to get the tail to still spin during an auto (depending upon your setup).
GravityJunkie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2014, 03:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

in addition to above: non-driven tail makes it a lot easier to land as there's literally no threat of tail strike. I've been landing in pretty high grass without an issue - try that on a regular 450...

it's also cool way to scare fellow pilots - few times I've seen funny faces when the tail just stops in the air before heli hits the ground - not a lot are used to such sight.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I just need to figure out a way to get the tail to stop at 1 O'clock and 6 O'clock so it acts as a rudder when doing autos.
maarset is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2014, 10:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maarset View Post
I just need to figure out a way to get the tail to stop at 1 O'clock and 6 O'clock so it acts as a rudder when doing autos.
Without spinning it wouldn't influence the heli at all.

Think of a boat's rudder. Unless there is water moving across it, it will not influence the position. Sitting still in water without props turning renders the rudder useless. Same thing with the heli.

Lynx Team Pilot
Pitch-Itch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2014, 11:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

If the heli is moving down and forward then yes, they may actually have an effect, not sure how much thou

If the heli was dropping straight down, they would need to be at 3/9 position to have an effect.
Doom Buggy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2014, 11:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

just don't worry about where tail blades stop - FBL will do all sorts of funky business with it's pitch. You just have to admit that you won't be controlling tail too much - what helps most I guess is overall forward speed, at least looking to those that have the balls to do a real auto on the Warp.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I was trying to be funny.

But I do try to drag the rear fin sometimes to keep the heli straight before I come to a stop.
maarset is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2014, 12:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiron View Post
in addition to above: non-driven tail makes it a lot easier to land as there's literally no threat of tail strike. I've been landing in pretty high grass without an issue - try that on a regular 450...
Do it all the time on my trex 450 pro. Just make sure the headspeed has bled off as much as possible before touchdown (yes mini-auto, ofc). Haven't stripped a TT gear yet (at least not with this as cause).

My 250 has more trouble though, if it would have a driven tail I would have stripped quite some gears. Happened a couple of times that the blades catched grass and stopped spinning immediately. Luckily the inertia of the blades didn't keep the tail rotor going .

I can see that the performance of autorotations of a non-driven tail heli is better than one that has a driven tail, BUT... You lose tail control.

Currently I'm practicing my auto skills on a trex 550, converted the tail to a belt drive especially for this

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in