Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Kontronik Drives

Kontronik Drives Jazz and Jive ESC's and other Kontronik equipment support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2014, 02:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default ProgUNIT Picture

I am I the only one who has seen this?

http://www.goblinhobbies.co.za/s-eed...he-future.html
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2014, 03:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes that was posted a few days ago here. Very cool.

My question is, how does it work - I mean hook up?

The Kosmik already has a USB out port. I thought it'd be as easy as hooking a cable up to the PC straight from the ESC. I guess the ProgUnit is some sort of driver?

I'm just confused as to how it physically hooks up, given it has a male and female servo lead. My assumption is that it goes between the ESC and master port, passing signal to this ProgUnit and then your USB hooks to the unit onward to your PC. My guess is they did this too allow one to keep the unit attached while flying and not have to add and remove it each time. I dunno maybe not.
OXY rep
DCflyer is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2014, 05:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCflyer View Post
Yes that was posted a few days ago here. Very cool.

My question is, how does it work - I mean hook up?

The Kosmik already has a USB out port. I thought it'd be as easy as hooking a cable up to the PC straight from the ESC. I guess the ProgUnit is some sort of driver?

I'm just confused as to how it physically hooks up, given it has a male and female servo lead. My assumption is that it goes between the ESC and master port, passing signal to this ProgUnit and then your USB hooks to the unit onward to your PC. My guess is they did this too allow one to keep the unit attached while flying and not have to add and remove it each time. I dunno maybe not.
Its just like the program disc hooks up to the master cable. The USB port on the kosmik is for Kontronik service.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

At $91 it is not cheap either! Currently only firmware update possible with it, waiting for the release of the Windows software.

As WA has posted it connects exactly like the ProgDisc.
Old hand at Planks
Peter
Vinger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2014, 06:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinger View Post
At $91 it is not cheap either! Currently only firmware update possible with it, waiting for the release of the Windows software.

As WA has posted it connects exactly like the ProgDisc.
Its not $91 its 71.

Go check helidirect...
Old 10-14-2014, 09:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wh1teAfr1can View Post
Its not $91 its 71.

Go check helidirect...
In the link it is the equivalent of $91 in our country, maybe cheaper in other countries, but I have learnt to buy local, much easier with warranty claims.
Old hand at Planks
Peter
Vinger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2014, 09:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Picked one up last night from Helidirect. Along with the BT module. I know they do basically the same thing, but having live data on my phone and the ability to program things at the field made me grab one.

Can anyone tell me what apps I need to download and where to find them now-days for the BT? Was it Klog and Kview?
OXY rep
Old 10-14-2014, 09:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Picked one up last night from Helidirect. Along with the BT module. I know they do basically the same thing, but having live data on my phone and the ability to program things at the field made me grab one.

Can anyone tell me what apps I need to download and where to find them now-days for the BT? Was it Klog and Kview?
k-prog and k-view the prog app is currently only available for android as the apple app is being re worked.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
k-prog and k-view the prog app is currently only available for android as the apple app is being re worked.

Ok cool. Any ideas on its re-release and what they are improving? I saw this video a while back showing some issues. I'm assuming this is why they are reworking it?..........

Kontronik Cool Kosmik bluetooth module problem (14 min 19 sec)

Really looking forward to see what Kontronik comes up with as far as software.
OXY rep
Old 10-14-2014, 09:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Ok cool. Any ideas on its re-release and what they are improving? I saw this video a while back showing some issues. I'm assuming this is why they are reworking it?..........

Kontronik Cool Kosmik bluetooth module problem - YouTube

Really looking forward to see what Kontronik comes up with as far as software.
its going to be quite a radical change they were not happy with functionality and the issues it had.

No re-release schedule yet
Old 10-14-2014, 03:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Its just like the program disc hooks up to the master cable. The USB port on the kosmik is for Kontronik service.
I was expecting this new software to allow a normal usb interface to the Kosmik.

The fact that they have created yet another device is typical.

ProgCard II - never used it.
ProgDisc - only used it to tweak my Jive 100LV
BT Device - Used to configure my Kosmik.

Hopefully the ProgUNIT works well, but based on history, software is not their strong point. The BT Android software was a step in the right direction, but still pretty clunky.

I love my Kontronik hardware, and they seem to understand firmware well, but they just don't seem to understand anything with a user interface.

That may just be par for the course. I know a number of very talented ASICS/hardware designers who "claim" to be able to write software, but other than firmware and software to be used by other engineers they tend not to do so well. Kontronik seems similarly afflicted. They probably need someone outside of their core development team working on this software.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkovalcson View Post
I was expecting this new software to allow a normal usb interface to the Kosmik.

The fact that they have created yet another device is typical.

ProgCard II - never used it.
ProgDisc - only used it to tweak my Jive 100LV
BT Device - Used to configure my Kosmik.

Hopefully the ProgUNIT works well, but based on history, software is not their strong point. The BT Android software was a step in the right direction, but still pretty clunky.

I love my Kontronik hardware, and they seem to understand firmware well, but they just don't seem to understand anything with a user interface.

That may just be par for the course. I know a number of very talented ASICS/hardware designers who "claim" to be able to write software, but other than firmware and software to be used by other engineers they tend not to do so well. Kontronik seems similarly afflicted. They probably need someone outside of their core development team working on this software.
Would you want your customers to be able to get to board level programming? Through the boot loader interface?
Old 10-20-2014, 05:31 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I received mine on Friday. The price in Australian $ reflected the exchange rate, but there was no local German tax applicable. What's more, there was no extra postage charge, which I was dreading from Germany, especially by slow, ordinary DHL.
I was most impressed by the Kontronik service, and speed of delivery, and from what I was expecting to have to pay by price too - thank you Kontronik, I was pleasantly surprised!
Regards,
Andy
AndrewJHawes is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in