Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Skookum Robotics

Skookum Robotics Skookum Robotics SK-360 SK-540 & SK-720 Digital Flybar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2014, 03:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default DMSS satellite support

There is an issue with the DMSS RAO1T satellites.

I have had some minor success with the older black version & SK540 (ie. not flown, while setting up on the bench), but there are other folks on here who have problems with random control inputs from this setup.
Also, the newer white version of the satellite is not recognised at all by the 540.

This is using the DMSS option & the modded cable.

Art, Georgi, are you able to shed any light on this problem & maybe a possible solution ?

Thanks.

Ken.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sat b&w.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	532324  
JR XG14
Rotary Lad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2014, 07:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bump.
JR XG14
Old 08-31-2014, 11:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

=] not quite sure here, see what I can find out?....

georgi UK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2014, 12:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Please do georgi as I am currently at an xg8 to replace my dx7s
Old 08-31-2014, 12:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks georgi, Xbus works a treat but the option for sats only would be great for my Warp, or anyone who want a simple setup using their existing (cheapish) sats.

Ken.
JR XG14
Old 09-03-2014, 11:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bump.
JR XG14
Old 09-03-2014, 12:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Options are limited to major radio brands
Inkslinginmofo77 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2014, 10:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hmmmm, no news in this case is not good news. Doesn't seem like Skookum will be doing anything in the near future to rectify this situation.

Certainly is disappointing that we can't just upgrade from an XG8 to and XG14 and not have to change the entire receiver setup just to run the SK540, but I guess you can't please everyone.

Are there any known FBL units that will work with JR XG14 & DMSS standard sats (not xbus)? I haven't found anyone talking about this.
meherenow7 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2014, 10:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I too would like to know as well...As a new owner of an XG14 (DX8 is sold) I'd really like to know if the new DMSS JR Sats will work without adding an additional RX to my Forza 450EX.

I was about to pull the trigger on another SK540, as the small bit of research I've done shows that by modifying the wires on the satellite that it would work. Judging by this thread, I was mistaken and the DMSS sat will NOT work as a direct replacement for the Spektrum sat? A real shame, as that basically limits my options to the TAGS/TAGS Mini as far as I know, at least if I want to use the FBL Gyro as a RX w/ sats.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have been following this thread as well hoping I could use my XG11 with the DMSS satellites only on my SK540's & SK720's with my small helis but it does not look like I will be able to for now.
ceewraps is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2014, 09:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here's what you should all do to try and get some action on this.

Unplug your motor wires and Test your updated SK540 with your DMSS sats only while plugged into the computer first. Look at the inputs on all the channels and see if any of them are jumping around. For me it was the collective input was moving on its own whenever the stick was anywhere other than neutral.

If you experience some glitching like I did then you have a problem and don't want to go flying for real. Now make sure you have Logging enabled on your SK540 software and then unplug it from the computer (still making sure you have the motor unplugged).

Turn on TX and Power up your SK540 as you normally would so that the servos have power, activate full ST1 mode on TX, and then follow this test as advised by Skookum.

1) Let collective sit at minimum for 10 seconds, then move it up to 1/4
stick, wait 10 seconds, 1/2 stick, wait 10 seconds, full stick, 10 seconds
2) Move collective very smoothly and slowly up and down several times.

After completing the test, power down and connect your Sk540 back to the computer. Look at the SK540 in my computer and find the Log file. Now copy that on to your computer and send an email to Skookum support, info@skookumrobotics.com, with a description of the problem and attach the log file.

The more people that can do this and show them we need it fixed, the more chance of getting if fixed in the near future. Let me know if you need further instructions for any of these steps.
Mat
Old 10-23-2014, 09:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

OMG! There's an update to the SK540 software with the following listed as a upgrade point:

* DMSS receiver mode now works for the XG6 and XG14 JR radios.

http://www.skookumrobotics.com/updates/

Can't wait to give this another go and hopefully use my XG14 finally for my heli's!
Old 10-24-2014, 02:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have just finished trying the 4.05 dmss setup on my warp & the results are much better.

The sats with the black board are working fine. I have 2 on my warp which are operating with none of the random control inputs which they had on 4.0.

This is just on the bench though, It`ll probably be next week before i get the chance to fly it.

The sats with the white board though are a different matter. They light up but there is no movement from the servos at all & there are no inputs showing on the sk software.

Hope this helps.

Ken.
JR XG14
Old 10-24-2014, 07:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Ken,
I unfortunately had the opposite result with my testing. I seem to be having the random inputs still and are as bad if not worse than before.
I started thinking it was maybe it was a dodgy pot on my throttle TX, so i changed from Mode 1 to Mode 2 to swap the throttle over, but the same thing occurs on the other stick. So it definitely seems to be a prob with the SK540.
I'm hoping now i'll be able to re-bind my XG8 and that it works ok still.
I'm sure we r not the only 2 on the planet to have this issue, so beats me what everyone else with this same combo has done. Do they just spend the bucks and buy all new gear
Old 10-25-2014, 07:06 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My new solution. Jr have released a new RX, JR RG712BX, which is Xbus but no sats.

For some reason there's a store in Australia with them super cheap at the moment, so I'll grab myself a few of them and use the cable mod to run them through the SK540 sat port.

Best I can do at this stage to get flying with my XG14 and SK540.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:44 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I guess I didn't need to start a thread after all. I have a new SK720 BE here next week. I have a JR 8XG also coming next week. I did not do the research and did not realize I would have issues with this radio and the SK720. What do I need to do to make this work with my setup?

Thanks for your help
Paul
Old 10-26-2014, 10:37 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok, so now I'm a bit concerned again. I've got two RA01T sats sitting here ready to be used with my 720BE on a Goblin 500 build I'm about to start - they're the older RA01T's with the white board...

After talking with Skookum, I was under the impression that the new 4.05 firmware made it possible to use these DMSS sats with the 720BE and my XG14. Now I'm wondering if this is still going to cause me issues? What if I just run the full size 731BX RX - will that be an option?

I'm a bit bummed that I went with the new JR radio seeings as there's hardly any FBL units that are functioning well with DMSS. About ready to just order a DMSX TX and be done with it, but would really like to get the XG14 working well with the Skookum units.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:57 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

You could try the sats with the white boards on your 720BE, it may work better than on the 540. If not, try the Xbus. You should have room on your goblin for the 731BX. I have Xbus running on my protos with a 540 & it`s fine.

Ken.
JR XG14
Old 10-27-2014, 11:13 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Perfect, so just to confirm, problems are arising while trying to run sats only, but if using the full size RX (731BX in my case) it should work just fine? I'll test sats only with my 720 as soon as I can, like you said, perhaps it's only the 540 having issues at this point.

Thanks
Old 10-27-2014, 03:30 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, it's the sats only option which is still having issues. The 731bx works fine as either a traditional rx or as xbus.

Ken.
JR XG14

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in