Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Skookum Robotics

Skookum Robotics Skookum Robotics SK-360 SK-540 & SK-720 Digital Flybar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2011, 06:20 PM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

dpelletier, thanks for the photos. My setup should be essentially the same, except I won't need to supply power to the Rx straight from one of the batteries. BTW, what is that black capsule shaped gadget encircling the BEC output wires? Thanks.
Amain Team Pilot
jhamel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2011, 09:00 PM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnahamelv View Post
BTW, what is that black capsule shaped gadget encircling the BEC output wires? Thanks.
Ferrite ring... I don't if its really needed, but I've read more than once on here that the Western Robotics BECs cause interference... SO why take a chance with $2000 worth of gear.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:42 PM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok, my question on the SK is to find out if the field terminal LCD display thingy is capable of tuning every single parameter that you could using a laptop/ pc?
seemore74 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2012, 01:40 PM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpelletier View Post
Ferrite ring... I don't if its really needed, but I've read more than once on here that the Western Robotics BECs cause interference... SO why take a chance with $2000 worth of gear.
Where did you buy the ferrite ring from, i put 1 on my WR bec but the ID wasn't big enough to pass the servo plug through. I did steal it off a old mini titan esc.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:03 PM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathy View Post
Where did you buy the ferrite ring from, i put 1 on my WR bec but the ID wasn't big enough to pass the servo plug through. I did steal it off a old mini titan esc.
I bought it in an electronics store, a chain called Radio Shack in the US.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:06 PM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cool, did some diggin here and found a whole load of clip on bullet style ones like yours, i'm going to put some round the phase sensor too. Then more testing
Old 01-04-2012, 06:40 AM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can also try taking the actual plastic plug off then putting the ring on then click the pins back into the plug.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:57 AM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpelletier View Post
I bought it in an electronics store, a chain called Radio Shack in the US.

all u have to do is pull the pins out of the servo plug then wrap the wire as many times as u need to the put the servo plug back on. its not too hard just be gentle. i found an exacto knife or razor blade is and easy way to do this. just lift the little black tab on the servo plug (gently and with ease) pull on the wire attached to that pin while lifting black tab and it will come out.

hope this helps some one
jake
CHIEF-X is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2012, 01:16 PM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'll ask again, is the field terminal LCD display thingy is capable of tuning every single parameter that you could using a laptop/ pc?
Old 01-30-2012, 01:46 PM   #70 (permalink)

=] Yes except upgrading!

The SK-LCD Field Terminal allows you to set up your SK-720 or SK-360 Flybarless System at the field, without a laptop computer. It will give you access to all the functions of the PC-based GUI, except upgrading the Flybarless System's firmware.

georgi UK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2012, 02:40 PM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks G, nice flying on your G5 in that vid, that just made me charge up my 6s packs on mine. I've forgotten how great that heli flies.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:17 AM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Any one have luck with CC Phoenix ICE 100 w/ SK720 (FAQ sticky)

I'm absolutely pulling my hair out trying to get this combination to work. I see a number of threads that talk of problems with CC working (I know the governor part doesn't work yet).

I've got a 6S setup with the CC Phoenix ICE 100. For the life of me I cannot get the controller into setup mode with the SK720 to set the throttle endpoints. I can program the ICE 100 if I use a simple Spektrum AR8000 receiver. I have no idea as to what I might be doing wrong when trying to do this with the SK720. They just don't seem to play nice with each other.

I'm considering just eBaying the CC unit if I can't figure it out. From this forum, it sounds as though a HobbyWing Platinum Pro 100A might be a better fit. Before taking that road, I thought I'd check if anyone here had suggestions for getting my existing CC Ice 100 to work.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:58 AM   #73 (permalink)

=] have you set the ESC end points first?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF7VTrs_hsI&feature=related[/ame]

georgi UK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2012, 03:29 AM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorax2 View Post
I'm absolutely pulling my hair out trying to get this combination to work. I see a number of threads that talk of problems with CC working (I know the governor part doesn't work yet).

I've got a 6S setup with the CC Phoenix ICE 100. For the life of me I cannot get the controller into setup mode with the SK720 to set the throttle endpoints. I can program the ICE 100 if I use a simple Spektrum AR8000 receiver. I have no idea as to what I might be doing wrong when trying to do this with the SK720. They just don't seem to play nice with each other.

I'm considering just eBaying the CC unit if I can't figure it out. From this forum, it sounds as though a HobbyWing Platinum Pro 100A might be a better fit. Before taking that road, I thought I'd check if anyone here had suggestions for getting my existing CC Ice 100 to work.
I'll keep this short and easy to follow.

1 - Within your DX8 ensure you have a linear throttle from 0-100%.

2 - Within your DX8 set both throttle end points to 150%.

3 - Within the Skookum software set your idle and max throttle limits. The Skookum will no longer limit the throttle so it will now pass 150% output to Castle Creations ESC.

4 - Within your DX8 set both throttle end points to 50%.

5 - Within the Castle Link software, ensure the ESC is setup in heli mode, fixed end points with auto-rotation enabled.

6 - Continue Castle Creations ESC setup to calibrated both low and high throttle end points with your DX8.

7 - Setup throttle hold within your DX8.

7 - Once the throttle end points have been calibrated, within the Skookum software, reset the idle value with throttle hold on and set maximum throttle with throttle hold off.

8 - Within Castle Link, setup the ESC governor.

NOTE - The Skookum governor can NOT be used until Castle Creations release their new digital phase sensor and firmware to support external governors.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:43 AM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you so very much rceccleston! It was a piece of cake with your instructions. I think the part that made the difference was setting DX8 endpoints initially to 150% and then using the SK720 software to set those as idle and max throttle inputs. I would have never thought of that on my own.

Without your help, I would have never figured this out. I hunted all over the Skookum and Castle Creations forums and couldn't find your simple procedure. Hopefully this can be a sticky somewhere or others can find this thread with a search.

As always, I am so grateful for the helpfulness and sense of community here at Helifreak!
Old 04-29-2012, 10:55 AM   #76 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Thank you so very much rceccleston! It was a piece of cake with your instructions. I think the part that made the difference was setting DX8 endpoints initially to 150% and then using the SK720 software to set those as idle and max throttle inputs. I would have never thought of that on my own.
Yes, you are correct, the 150% throttle end points is the key.
Quote:
Without your help, I would have never figured this out. I hunted all over the Skookum and Castle Creations forums and couldn't find your simple procedure. Hopefully this can be a sticky somewhere or others can find this thread with a search.

As always, I am so grateful for the helpfulness and sense of community here at Helifreak!
Good luck with the maiden, I luv having telemetry within the Skookum, ESC and DX8.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:37 AM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi,

Im preparing for the arrival of my ice 50. Nice procedure, but I have a few questions please.

Will the method be the same for a dx6i?

Can I do this without the castle link(which i dont have yet)?

Why do we set end points first to 150% and then to 50%? Do we leave the end points at 50% following the setup?

Thanks,

Nick
nickyd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2012, 08:59 AM   #78 (permalink)
Registered Users

IIRC from my DX6i, the procedure is the same. You are able to set both throttle endpoints to 150% through the Servo section by using the Travel section. After that, set those endpoints in the SK720 as described by rceccleston (setting max throttle and idle throttle). Once you've done that, follow his instructions by setting your travel endpoints at 50% in your DX6i and go higher (i.e. towards 100% until the beep) for both the upper and lower limit.

To answer your why question, the initial 150% for the SK720 is so that the full throttle range is available for programming the Castle. The 50% starting point in your TX is for the Castle ESC so that there is a weaker "signal" from your transmitter so that as you increase from the 50% endpoint in your transmitter to roughly 90% or more in most cases, the ESC will recognize the stronger signal for the throttle limits. So no, you do not leave the throttle endpoints at 50% in your DXi. You must increase the throttle travel within programming mode until you hear the beeps indicating the ESC recognizes the throttle limits.

You must have the Castle Link to do it this way for a helicopter which is stated in Castle's user guide as using the throttle programming will not work. Consider purchasing Castle's Y-adapter for the Castle Link to wire more neatly.

Another issue with Castle Link is that you must have a 32-bit operating system to update the firmware in most cases (I don't know if any "new" Castle Links have been updated by Castle prior to shipping to stores for retail sale) for the USB connector. I have 64-bit Windows 7 which did not work for using the Castle Link until I found an old XP machine to do a firmware update. Unfortunately, Castle has not put a proper explanation of this in their FAQ section.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:20 AM   #79 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the explanation zorax2.

Does this really mean I cant get my heli up and running without the castle link. I was hoping to hold off buying this till next month or wait and get it cheaper from the US.

I couldnt find any instructions on setting the throttle calibration for heli mode in the user manual.

If you can think of a work-around until I get my castle link, then please let me know.

Cheers,

Nick
nickyd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2012, 12:16 PM   #80 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry, there is no workaround without CastleLink. You cannot program the ESC properly for a helicopter without it.

The instructions provided by CC aren't the greatest, however, if you use Castle Link and follow the earlier instructions you'll have no problem as the software is fairly intuitive.

As the CC ESCs are fairly common, you may want to check with fellow pilots in your area or perhaps add a post requesting someone to mail one to you to borrow for a short time. Most people in the Heli Brotherhood are very nice and I'll bet someone would be willing to help you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in