Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2009, 10:34 AM   #221 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Well Carrado was suppose to send me the CF frames and new canopy. I guess he got busy or something but I was going to do a mini build video / review of them just so people could see what they look like and any pointers on putting them on if needed.

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2009, 12:11 PM   #222 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post
Well Carrado was suppose to send me the CF frames and new canopy. I guess he got busy or something but I was going to do a mini build video / review of them just so people could see what they look like and any pointers on putting them on if needed.

Bob
If you do receive the carbon frames please let us know.

Daniel
dswitkin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2009, 06:38 PM   #223 (permalink)
Registered Users

I got my Protos500, and ref. to your video while building the heli, it's very useful! Especially about some washer's thickness
minority is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2010, 07:21 AM   #224 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you for the great work, Bob! I'm a beginner and without your videos, it would not be possible for me getting a good result!
straesso is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2010, 10:23 AM   #225 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hi,

Did the carbon frames ever arrive? After so many months how is the helicopter holding up?
davidgts is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2010, 01:22 PM   #226 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

No I never got the frames but thats alright. Heli has held up fine until a crash in November. Just havent ordered up the parts yet.

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2010, 10:18 AM   #227 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hi Bob,

The plastic frames might be more forgiving, like flixing, in a hard landing. I was planning on taking a larger electric (500) with me on deployment and was wondering how durable it was.
The sand and grit are very harsh of all bearings and gears. My little Trex 250 needed a complete rebuild after a few months. It will be the same no matter what I fly over there, but maybe with a lower head speed, like on a larger heli, things might not wear as fast.

Thanks again for these build videos!
davidgts is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2010, 11:44 AM   #228 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm finishing my build now. and I'm noticing a lot more link adjustment is required to get zero pitch than I expected. I've already put two turns on the links between the swash and servos, and two more turns on each of the links between the swash and the blade grip mixing arms, and I still have negative pitch at center stick.

I am trying to avoid turning out the short links between the flybar cage and the mixing arms as recommended in Bob's video. Did anyone else encounter this in their build? I'm using JR3517 servos on the cyclic, and dubro arms with the ball at the exact distance recommended in the manual.
tcprogrammer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2010, 12:54 PM   #229 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcprogrammer View Post
I'm finishing my build now. and I'm noticing a lot more link adjustment is required to get zero pitch than I expected. I've already put two turns on the links between the swash and servos, and two more turns on each of the links between the swash and the blade grip mixing arms, and I still have negative pitch at center stick.
I just finished my protos 500 with carbon frames - and have the same problem. I use savox SH-1250 ditigal servos and mounted the servo arms with the ball at the exact distance recommended in the manual. I took it as it is and adjusted the sticks until i got zero pitch.

Regards

Olaf
straesso is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2010, 02:54 PM   #230 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by straesso View Post
I just finished my protos 500 with carbon frames - and have the same problem. I use savox SH-1250 ditigal servos and mounted the servo arms with the ball at the exact distance recommended in the manual. I took it as it is and adjusted the sticks until i got zero pitch.

Regards

Olaf
The measurement from swash to servos is only good for the servos listed in the manual.

If you use anything else, you are on your own. The distance between the servo arm and swash will be different for each model of servo.

VControl, Neo, Hobbywing, Goblin 570(s)
povern is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2010, 05:19 PM   #231 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Swash to collar

Swash to collar should be the same for all servos though right? What are you running for that?

-Eric
Old 03-01-2010, 02:15 PM   #232 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by povern View Post
The measurement from swash to servos is only good for the servos listed in the manual.

If you use anything else, you are on your own. The distance between the servo arm and swash will be different for each model of servo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmohead View Post
Swash to collar should be the same for all servos though right? What are you running for that?

-Eric
Easy method is

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_2RJ9YS7dA[/ame]

I know the guy who makes these, I have one and it is very good.

Gary
gmhelo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2010, 12:41 PM   #233 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks to Bob,
Building the kit with the videos and instructions side by side is a real pleasure. watch the video before starting and then build along with it. This is the first finless video that I have used..amazing.

Thanks also to GMhelo for the swash levelling video, very informative.
400driver is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2010, 02:38 AM   #234 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Okay Okay

Maybe it's late, but I am having problems with the tail boom. I have the tail case on with the hole on one side, the front of the boom is slotted. I can't tighten the belt to the main gear without pulling the housing whhich holds the tail into the back casing. If i pull the boom, it is no longer being held by the slots and will turn...anyone else havinng the same problem or can help? I followed Finless Build several times....
Dark Poacher is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2010, 03:14 AM   #235 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Poacher View Post
Maybe it's late, but I am having problems with the tail boom. I have the tail case on with the hole on one side, the front of the boom is slotted. I can't tighten the belt to the main gear without pulling the housing whhich holds the tail into the back casing. If i pull the boom, it is no longer being held by the slots and will turn...anyone else havinng the same problem or can help? I followed Finless Build several times....

Not sure what you mean by "into the back casing," but if you're finding yourself needing to pull the belt "too far" to get it tight, then you need to move the motor forward, "advance" the belt a few teeth along the main gear towards the motor, and then you'll have less slack on the tail side of the main gear. The belt does go around the motor pinion, right?

If that doesn't do it, make sure you don't have a stretch kit belt.

Both the tail rotor casing and the tail boom block should be locked into place on the boom; no adjustment, motion, slack, wiggle. Nothing. The only motion should be the boom block along its slotted holes.

Also make sure the idler pulley in the tail is in place (unlike a T-Rex 450, you want to keep that baby on there). It takes up a little slack.

Make sure your belt is running through all the pulleys it's supposed to be and the belt hasn't slipped off the main gear.

Good luck
Old 09-29-2010, 09:25 AM   #236 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Washout

was you washout 90 at center stick after build? I am setting my Proptos up a second time as I cut the wrong arms off the horns, but I would like to know if your center stick also had washout at 90? I followed the build videos, but I ma using align 520 servos fro cyclic
Dark Poacher is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2010, 08:55 AM   #237 (permalink)
Registered Users

The tail on mine will not lock in. If I bring the gain down, it wags slowly. If I bring it up, it seems to lock in until I put the power to it. Then it is pretty violent! Not sure what to do...head speed is up around 2700. Using a Spartan 760 on it.
pmikeyg is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2010, 01:09 PM   #238 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Cut away the tailrod guide eye (don't need it and possibly makes contact).
Review and re-assemble the tailcase and the complete tailpitch assembly.
build it up part by part and check play and smoothness on every stage all the way to the tailblades.
If it turns out to not be a mechanical problem, check your tailservo (strong/fast enough?)
Old 11-10-2010, 06:50 PM   #239 (permalink)
Registered Users

you have used the supplied ball link reamer on the tail slider links right?

If you havent, theres your problem.

What tail servo?
Old 11-10-2010, 08:43 PM   #240 (permalink)
Registered Users

I used the reamer on the tail. I am using a 9257 servo on the tail! Thanks for the input guys.
pmikeyg is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in