Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Thunder Tiger GT5 FBL System

Thunder Tiger GT5 FBL System Thunder Tiger GT5 Flybarless Electronics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2014, 11:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Align 550E V2, GT5.1 and Taranis

I am migrating across to Taranis / FrSky from Spectrum (Currently have a DX8 and AR7200BX)

Only bummer is not being able to reuse the AR7200BX due to the integrated receiver in it... but I do have a GT5.1 floating around from a previous project.

Anybody have some working GT5.1 configurations for an Align 550E V2 (DFC)? I have stock servos (so a bit nervous of the tale after reading here).

Any tips for the Taranis setup? Was thinking of using the S.BUS, and am going to have a play tonight.
Jones791 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2014, 05:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Spektrum DM 9 Module will make it bind to Spektrum stuff.
http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...rodId=SPMMSJR7

I'm wanting the Taranis as well. The module is cheaper than buying a bunch of new RX's probably.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I'm keen to get across to FrSky, the telemetry is much better, and I don't want a 2nd antenna!

You get signal strength and receiver voltage straight out of the box, can add battery voltage for about $10. To do that in the spectrum world it will cost you about $200
Old 06-16-2014, 02:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Can somebody explain the relationship between the Total Gain (CH7 for me) and the P values for Tail and Swash? I am a little confused.

Have the 550e flying pretty well, to be honest I am surprised how nicely it is flying with pretty much straight out of the box settings. My only problem is a reasonable tail wag on spool up, as soon as the head speed comes up, or I start to hover the Tail is pretty solid, no wag and very strong. I am playing around with the Tail P setting, so will keep you posted.

My config at the moment:

Total Gain = 100
Swash P = 70
Swash I = 70
Swash ID = 100
Swash D sense = 25
Swash Feed forward = 85
Swash hover = 4
Tail P = 70
Tail I 30
Tail D sense = 22
Tail D-DB = 10
Tail Sym = 0
Tail stick dyn = 25
Tail cyclic = 0
Tail pitch = 0
Tail smooth stop = 0

The only other issue I had was the Swash zero point. on the AR7200BX at mid stick the servo's were perfect, zero degrees pitch, 90 degree arms etc. The GT5.1 I have had to use Pitch trim to get the swash to zero degrees at 50% stick. I am reluctant to adjust mechanically until I understand this as it was absolutely perfect before, and I would have thought 50% servo was 50%! Could be a spectrum to Taranis thing or a AR7200BX to GT5.1 thing???

Anyone got any ideas?
Old 06-17-2014, 08:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Align 550E V2, GT5.1 and Taranis

Total gain is the "base" inside which all other gains work. As such you should run your total gain as high as you can, then tune the PID gains.
I have a GT5 on a Trex 450 Pro running stock servo with no dramas, so no need to worry about it once setup correctly.
I found the tails on Aligns to lack authority in general, but any idea of the headspeed before the wag goes away? Have you checked your mechanical setup & made sure you have a few degrees of pitch to counteract torque?
Hit Google & look for the GT5 tuning guide by Gary Wright, it should help you out. If you still have questions re-post & you'll get the help you need.
Like you I was surprised how well the GT5 flies straight out of the box, it's a good little unit.

Citizen #186
mr_squiggle is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2014, 04:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jones791 View Post
Can somebody explain the relationship between the Total Gain (CH7 for me) and the P values for Tail and Swash? I am a little confused.

Have the 550e flying pretty well, to be honest I am surprised how nicely it is flying with pretty much straight out of the box settings. My only problem is a reasonable tail wag on spool up, as soon as the head speed comes up, or I start to hover the Tail is pretty solid, no wag and very strong. I am playing around with the Tail P setting, so will keep you posted.

My config at the moment:

Total Gain = 100
Swash P = 70
Swash I = 70
Swash ID = 100
Swash D sense = 25
Swash Feed forward = 85
Swash hover = 4
Tail P = 70
Tail I 30
Tail D sense = 22
Tail D-DB = 10
Tail Sym = 0
Tail stick dyn = 25
Tail cyclic = 0
Tail pitch = 0
Tail smooth stop = 0

The only other issue I had was the Swash zero point. on the AR7200BX at mid stick the servo's were perfect, zero degrees pitch, 90 degree arms etc. The GT5.1 I have had to use Pitch trim to get the swash to zero degrees at 50% stick. I am reluctant to adjust mechanically until I understand this as it was absolutely perfect before, and I would have thought 50% servo was 50%! Could be a spectrum to Taranis thing or a AR7200BX to GT5.1 thing???

Anyone got any ideas?
The only way to get those servo arms back to a perfect 90 is to take the arms off and try a bunch of different arms at center stick regardless of the reason for them being off center. Chances are you can switch the 3 you have around and find a truer 90 on each of them. When I find one thats perfect I mark it R aileron, L ail or Ele.

Last edited by Bladecpnitro; 06-25-2014 at 08:48 PM..
Bladecpnitro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in