Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > nano CP X Brushless Mods

nano CP X Brushless Mods Blade nano CP X Brushless Mods Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 08:18 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just got back from the field and a tiny bit disappointed, but only due to the weather changing and it getting very very breezy.

Managed to fly 5-6 packs (300mah) but then gave up as the wind just got far too strong, but when the wind dropped it flew awesome & I'm very impressed, even if I do say so myself. & now hopefully I won't have to buy a nano motor every week. ( already been though 2)

In flight you could feel the extra weight a bit so it maybe felt a little bit heavier/sluggish than the stock Nano (but not by much) but you could certainly feel the extra power when you need it & had really good power for a full 5+ mins, although the first 2-3 felt the best.

Hopefully another Nano should arrive tomorrow which I intend to keep stock for practice inside and if the weathers improves then I can also fly them both to feel how they really compare outside.
Strangedaze is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2012, 12:20 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Brushless Nano CPx

Hello all,
Well, I finally finished my Brushless Nano CPx mod . Ran into a few problem with the esc set-up but was able to correct the problem thanks to all the help and tips from here. To give a few description of my project here all the parts I used:
1. Nano CPx frame
2. MCPx frame
3. XP3A esc
4. HP03S 15800kv Outrunner (replaced with 1mm shaft from C05 motor)
5. MSRx Landing Skid
6. 8T pinion

The final result was a BL Nano with a fully loaded weight of exactly 29 gram. I tested it this morning and it flew beautifully with much more power. I got 3.5 min of IDLE up flight from stock battery which is good but will also try a 7T pinion to see how it is. Anyway, I've attached some pictures and a digram I made for modifying the Nano frame using part of the MCPx frame. Enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2873.jpg
Views:	1590
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	356490   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2874.jpg
Views:	1488
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	356491   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2882.jpg
Views:	1541
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	356492   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2883.jpg
Views:	1371
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	356493   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2884.jpg
Views:	1985
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	356494  

Name:	IMG_2885.jpg
Views:	1199
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	356495   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2879.jpg
Views:	1165
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	356496   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2880.jpg
Views:	1225
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	356497  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BL Nano CPx Frame Mod.pdf (251.9 KB, 632 views)
Hellimod is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 01:18 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey there forget the brushless what's that head spring mod about???
stuhomer71 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 01:24 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

I like it. How long did it take you to mod the frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellimod View Post
Hello all,
Well, I finally finished my Brushless Nano CPx mod . Ran into a few problem with the esc set-up but was able to correct the problem thanks to all the help and tips from here. To give a few description of my project here all the parts I used:
1. Nano CPx frame
2. MCPx frame
3. XP3A esc
4. HP03S 15800kv Outrunner (replaced with 1mm shaft from C05 motor)
5. MSRx Landing Skid
6. 8T pinion

The final result was a BL Nano with a fully loaded weight of exactly 29 gram. I tested it this morning and it flew beautifully with much more power. I got 3.5 min of IDLE up flight from stock battery which is good but will also try a 7T pinion to see how it is. Anyway, I've attached some pictures and a digram I made for modifying the Nano frame using part of the MCPx frame. Enjoy.
kpod is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 02:12 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuhomer71 View Post
Hey there forget the brushless what's that head spring mod about???
Thought someone will notice. The head spring is used for applying a little tension between the swashplate and head blade to stop the plate from vibrating due to the amount of play from the connecting rods. This will stop the vibration with pitch changes. If you try this mod, make sure to use really soft spring as to not put too much pressure on the servos. The spring I found best is the ones where they used in an led bouncing ball where when you bounce the ball, the spring vibrates and cause a short that turns on the flashing led. This spring is just the right softness .
Old 10-10-2012, 02:17 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpod View Post
I like it. How long did it take you to mod the frame.
About 30 min. but will be quicker if you already have an mcpx frame that has been trim to fit the brushless motor.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:25 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Update:

I noticed late yesterday that I had cracked one of the front canopy supports on my modified Mcpx/Nano frame. Now I don't want to go from having to replace nano motors every other week to now having to replace a Mcpx/Nano frame when I break a canopy pins (which I will) so thought I'd have another go at modding the frame but this time make the front canopy supports replaceable.

Now after attaching the Nano 3-n-1 mount to the mcpx frame and removing the mcpx canopy supports completely I then used a soldering iron to melt away some of the plastic where the carbon tube would need to go & when I was happy with the placement I CA glued the entire thing solid.

Also, I've now managed to remove about 2-3 grams weight from the rest of heli and it's starting to feel a little bit quicker, although the canopy still wieghts 2.3 grams just need to try to get that nearer to 1g if at all possible... Just now waiting for weather to improve so I can go outside and give it a blast.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00066.jpg
Views:	906
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	356655   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00072.jpg
Views:	827
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	356656   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00076.jpg
Views:	889
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	356657   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00077.jpg
Views:	786
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	356691   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00078.jpg
Views:	800
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	356692  

Name:	DSC00080.jpg
Views:	705
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	356693   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00082.jpg
Views:	784
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	356694  

Last edited by Strangedaze; 10-11-2012 at 04:18 PM..
Old 10-11-2012, 09:09 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hi
What glue did you use to glue those frame parts together?
sbarro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 04:58 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhmx233 View Post
Finally after working all night, my brushless nano was born. I used a spare c05 that I had laying around, a walkera esc, and multiple other parts I had laying around. With the signal wire in the same spot as above my throttle was reversed. I found another place on the 3in1 to solder my signal wire too and everything worked correctly. YAY!!!! since I stayed up all night working on this it is still dark out (6:00am) and I cannot test the heli in real flight. When gluing on the motor I made my gear mesh a little too big for the 7t pinion that came on the heli but perfect for an 8t pinion from an mcpx stock motor. Hopefully this will be ok. I will post how it flies tomorrow after I get a few hours of sleep.
Hi,
The walkera esc only takes in neg (-) signal. You can get the negative signal at the soldered location shown above but the throttle is reversed. Just a curiosity, can you post a picture of the location that you use for your signal? I like to try this new location out since I have a 5A esc with converter that takes in neg(-) signal only. Thanks
Old 10-12-2012, 05:24 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Green arrows point to the negative PWM solder points. (both are the same)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Img_0.jpg
Views:	1766
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	356946   Click image for larger version

Name:	NanoCP%20.jpg
Views:	2250
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	356947  
Dylwad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 05:32 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarro View Post
Hi
What glue did you use to glue those frame parts together?
I'm pretty sure I used either medium of thick CA clue to attach the Nano 3-n-1 mount and the carbon tube to the mcpx frame. Once dried I then applied 2-3 light coats of thin CA glue over the whole section just to firm it all up & now it's rock solid.

QuESTion: ?

I'm current using the following motor and ESC with this build.

1. Airbase Brushless Converter with 10A Built ESC for mCPx AIRMRXV2-10A

http://www.fast-lad.co.uk/store/airb...a-p-17857.html

2. AEO M5 Brushless Main Motor for mCPX (11000KV, 1.0mm shaft) MM104-M

http://www.fast-lad.co.uk/store/brus...m-p-19060.html

3. 8T pinion

I currently know very little about Brushless motors and ESC'S so still got a fair bit of learning to do, but I bet I could reduce the weight by another 1g+ by using a lighter ESC, would I be able to use a 7A ESC or maybe Even a 3A ESC with the above motor and using the 300mah (MCPX) batteries?

Thanks
Old 10-12-2012, 08:09 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylwad View Post
Green arrows point to the negative PWM solder points. (both are the same)
I'm not really knowlegeable in the field regarding the pwm and ppm signal aspect, but does anyone notice that the signal (at the original location) from the 3in1 of the Nano CPx feels like it is not as consistent (like the motor might sometime spin really fast even though I'm not at full throttle in normal mode and the esc gets really hot sometimes and fine other times.) as the MCPx 3in1? I don't know if this means anything in term of ppm brushless signal, but I used a voltimeter to measure the voltage for the Nano and only gets neg(-) voltage increases with throttle movement but the increase in voltage vs. throttle is reveresed. If I measure for pos (+) voltage at the signal, I don't get any voltage no matter what thottle position I'm at. Whereas, with the MCPx, I get pos(+) voltage increase with throttle increase. To sum it all up, I'm trying to look for a signal location, pos (+) or neg. (-) on the Nano CPx in which the voltage increases with the throttle increases and test it out hopefully with better results. Thanks and sorry to question the original signal location if this is only a me problem and my lack of knowlegability in this area.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:20 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

I havent noticed any difference at all compared to the way an esc works on the mcpx.

Ppm cant drive a fet, its a pwm signal.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:16 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question Thrust ratio stock and BL ?

Sorry duplicated post!

Last edited by The.K; 10-13-2012 at 10:22 AM..
The.K is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 11:32 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Thrust ratio stock and BL ?

any significant improvement on the thrust? how is the tail holding up with the BL conversation?
the stock nano thrust to weight ratio seems to be pretty low, about 49/29=1.68!?
is it worth to do the BL conversation for mild 3D?

as far as i can remember: the mCP X's stock thrust was around 90g for a gross weight of 45g, if im not wrong. this was improved to 110g for 43g with the C05 BL conversation, and the stock tail was holding much better.

thanks for the help.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:06 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellimod View Post
I'm not really knowlegeable in the field regarding the pwm and ppm signal aspect, but does anyone notice that the signal (at the original location) from the 3in1 of the Nano CPx feels like it is not as consistent (like the motor might sometime spin really fast even though I'm not at full throttle in normal mode and the esc gets really hot sometimes and fine other times.) as the MCPx 3in1? I don't know if this means anything in term of ppm brushless signal, but I used a voltimeter to measure the voltage for the Nano and only gets neg(-) voltage increases with throttle movement but the increase in voltage vs. throttle is reveresed. If I measure for pos (+) voltage at the signal, I don't get any voltage no matter what thottle position I'm at. Whereas, with the MCPx, I get pos(+) voltage increase with throttle increase. To sum it all up, I'm trying to look for a signal location, pos (+) or neg. (-) on the Nano CPx in which the voltage increases with the throttle increases and test it out hopefully with better results. Thanks and sorry to question the original signal location if this is only a me problem and my lack of knowlegability in this area.
I havent noticed anything odd on mine and it is consistent as far as speed in normal. But as you know as far as signal diagnostics I havent a clue...Its like a game of pin the tail on the donkey for me If Dylan didnt post his conversion i'd still be stuck in the brushed nano dark ages

Quote:
Originally Posted by The.K View Post
any significant improvement on the thrust? how is the tail holding up with the BL conversation?
the stock nano thrust to weight ratio seems to be pretty low, about 49/29=1.68!?
is it worth to do the BL conversation for mild 3D?

as far as i can remember: the mCP X's stock thrust was around 90g for a gross weight of 45g, if im not wrong. this was improved to 110g for 43g with the C05 BL conversation, and the stock tail was holding much better.

thanks for the help.
From my thrust tests i get 51 grams stock and 70 grams brushless on a 7T using a stock well cycled batteries

I will do another thrust test later with both a 7T and 8T pinion and new stock and a 180mAh nano batteries.

Here is my latest vid of a stock and a 7T brushless nano. BTW Do not buy Maddog 180mAh 25c batteries they are crap
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddByvJq-LSg[/ame]
indoorheli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2012, 07:39 AM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Exclamation

Hey thanks for the reply indoorheli and btw nice flying, you're flippin' even the stock one pretty much on the spot

1. did the BL conversation affect your durability (blade crack and spindle bend in crashes)?
2. may i ask what your setup is (Motor,ESC,converter and tail length)? since the mCP X was much more fragile after the BL conversation

i measured my stock mCP X's thrust again today, and got these results:

!it has about 50 flights on and the 300mAh Nano-Tech packs are not the freshest!
gross weight: 48.2g (coz of, longer full CF boom and some reinforcements on the LG & canopy pins and the 300mAh Nano-Tech)

fully charged 4.209V:
peak measured neg. thrust (for a little less than 1sec): 86g -> 1.78
average measured neg. thrust (for about 3-4secs): 78g -> 1.62

half charged 3.861V:
peak measured neg. thrust (for a little less than 1sec): 84g -> 1.74
average measured neg. thrust (for about 2-3secs): 74g -> 1.54

3. was your 51g an average over like a couple of secs or only a short peak value?
4. some people unplug their tail or give a rudder command to the left to have more power on the main motor for thrust measuring, did you do that for the 51g?

5. since it seems that the mCP ([78to86]/48.2g=1.62to1.78) has kinda the same amount of power than the nCP (51g/29g=1.75) outta the box!? which confuses me a lot!
i've heard about the better tail authority, but will it hold on 3sec full pitch?

6. May i ask you about your opinion on buying a nano, even though i have a mCP which i'm not that happy with its performance and durability also stability (in normal pyros it always runs away to the back, even from a perfect hower point and a correct CG)?

7. is it necessary to do the BL on the nano for mild 3D like indoor flips, funnels and rainbows (no constant alt tic tocs)?

sorry for the long post and the amount of questions and thanks a lot for the help, i do appreciate it very much.
Cheers
Nick
Old 10-15-2012, 11:31 AM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here you go

1) I have still crashed pretty hard and I have not noticed an increased damage rate.
2) I am using a hp03s with a modified mount and a xp3A esc with BLHeli code and the stock tail. Though I would suggest waiting for Dylans modified hp03 as it will be easier to install.
3) 51g stock thrust was about 4-5 seconds at full charge
4) No I measure as stock would fly with tail left plugged in
5) While the numbers of the mcpx and nano seem to be comparable the big difference is full power doesn’t strain the system like the mcpx main motor did. Soon as I got rid of my mcpx main and went brushless my tail became stronger. I did not notice the same on the nano and the tail authority was solid anyhow unless my battery is crap or I have vibrations somewhere.
6) IMHO the nano is the best indoor heli I have ever flown for capabilities and durability
7) Stock it has no problem doing basic 3d and I am sure a real pilot can rock it and even do sharp tic tocs. My timing isn’t the best so I need more power to do certain maneuvers. But for rainbow’s, flips and funnels it can easily do all of that stock
indoorheli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2012, 06:55 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangedaze View Post
Hi All...

Well flew my Nano outside for the first time today & I guess today was also my first ever real outdoor heli session & I had such a blast, flew about 3 packs though my MCPX & about 20 packs with the Nano.

AND I LOVE THE NANO.. Wow, hours of fun today and by the end flew the last 3 or 4 packs totally inverted. I've learnt so more today outside & the last few days inside with the Nano than I have the previous 3 weeks with the Mcpx & the Sim.

Well I got home this evening & while getting everything charged up ready for tomorrow I was looking over a few spares I had from my mcpx brushless build & remembering something I read here the other day about a hybrid MCPX/NANO build & I dangerously had an idea! although being a bit new to this heli game (about a month) I just love to mod and I knew the urge was too stong, the rest was a bit of a blur but now two hours later I now have my Nano/Mcpx brushless hybrid.

This whole build revolves around a modified main shaft with a larger carbon tube placed over the bottom of the nano main shaft (read it on here somewhere, cannot remember the thread or person, sorry ) so that the top (blade/blade grips swashplate/servos/nano main board) can be Nano parts & the bottom ( frame/skids/motor) can be mcpx parts.

BTW: I think I need a better work bench with this hobby.
Will the mcpx tail fit in the nano frame and work? and where did you get those canopies????
gs550t1981 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2012, 06:56 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Will the mcpx tail fit in the nano frame and work? and where did you get those canopies????
gs550t1981 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in