Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JLog - The JIVE logging stamp

JLog - The JIVE logging stamp JLog - The JIVE logging stamp - Official English Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2015, 10:27 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ah good news Tom, glad it does indeed fix Derks issue. Should have mine hooked up by end day, will test but am confident all will be well. Now if the the snow would quit flying then I could actually do some
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2015, 11:22 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Snow? Oops, altitude of 4,820 ft...
Old 04-29-2015, 04:26 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

I plan to install a JivePro 80 and JLog 2.6 in my E5 with HV servos (BLS272SV/BLS276SV) and the Bavarian Demon.

Does it make the most sense to just try it on the bench to determine if the JLog and BD will initialize properly with this setup, or should I plan on getting a BEC guard before going any further?
mfremont is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2015, 04:57 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yep, makes sense, especially because the BD is rather voltage sensible at startup.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:04 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

The issue with Jive Pro/Kosmik and BD is the BD does not send Throttle signal until it initializes. This is BD's method of preventing flight before inialization. Problem is the Jive Pro/Kosmik does not provide full BEC power until after a throttle signal is seen. 95% of the time everything works. The rest may take a few try's then usually works. But as Tom says, a BEC guard should make it work better.
Distributor: soXos Helicopter
F1 Rocket is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2015, 06:27 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default jlog 2.6 and jive pro

I have worked through the instructions, I have a kosmik and after a few tries I have my jlog working on that but on my helijive 120 pro it just won't work. it is communicating to the receiver cause a bottom value comes up. also when I start the motor here and there you can see a glimpse of the temp and rpm change but go right bact to 0 and 32 degrees respectively. anyone have any ideas?I'm using firmare 26-K_J-46.12.bin
Spin blades field rep
Jesse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2015, 07:12 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

We could shed some light on the schematics of the KOSMIK but never dissect a JIVE Pro.

The KOSMIK has a 5V buck regulator internally whose output is also used on the option ports for voltage supply of TelMe etc.

A Pro seems not to have this buck, the 3.3V regulator is directly following the BEC output, internally. So a JIVE Pro puts pure BEC voltage out on his option port. Because BEC's current limit is much too high for that, there must be an extra current delimiter or at least a series resistance. Nobody knows what the maximum current whithout significant voltage loss is, especially not under conditions of these power-up problems.

Better to supply JLog from the native BEC output of the Pro. Use JLog's "JIVE port" (old JIVE, therefore unused port here) for that.
Much better to use an Optipower BEC Guard:

Old 05-01-2015, 08:12 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

That up there is much too complicated. I tried to share my thought processes during the investigations with you.
Unfortunately I still have almost daily support cases for JLog &Co. in connection with the above.
Retry: This should (hopefully) explain it easier, a simple drawing:

Old 05-02-2015, 05:42 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 Rocket View Post
The issue with Jive Pro/Kosmik and BD is the BD does not send Throttle signal until it initializes. This is BD's method of preventing flight before inialization. Problem is the Jive Pro/Kosmik does not provide full BEC power until after a throttle signal is seen. 95% of the time everything works. The rest may take a few try's then usually works. But as Tom says, a BEC guard should make it work better.
Thanks for sharing these details.

The "no throttle signal" condition would presumably not be a problem when throttle is connected directly to an external Rx?

I'm currently flying a Futaba system with the BD connected via SBUS and the throttle connected to the standard throttle port on the Rx.

Been too busy to give it a try yet...
mfremont is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2015, 06:07 AM   #30 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfremont View Post
Thanks for sharing these details.

The "no throttle signal" condition would presumably not be a problem when throttle is connected directly to an external Rx?

I'm currently flying a Futaba system with the BD connected via SBUS and the throttle connected to the standard throttle port on the Rx.

Been too busy to give it a try yet...
Assuming you mean throttle directly connected from ESC to Receiver, not a problem, that's the way I have mine set up. You need to make sure that the receiver is putting out channel 3, ie throttle on the port you select. There is a default config that may already have that set. To wire the ESC directly I remove the signal pin on the master cable and plug it into the signal slot of an empty servo connector and then insert that into the receiver.
Raptorapture is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in