Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 470 Class Electric Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2016, 02:58 PM   #81 (permalink)
DPW
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Red face Long Tail Blades

Install problem

74 Tail Blade HQ0743A $7.99

On plastic 470L kit these longer tail blades where a tight fit but functional.

On metal 470L kit these longer tail blades are too thick and way way to tight.

I am not sure on the best way to fix the problem will post when I have a fix.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HQ0743A-P.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	686070  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2016, 03:30 PM   #82 (permalink)
Registered Users

On my LP the 74mm blades fit the plastic grips just as easy as the kit supplied blades did.

Do you wonder if anyone cares?
Andy from Sandy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2016, 04:56 PM   #83 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quick poll to everyone on the socket screws at the bottom of the tail block. Were yours too long and able to lock up the pulley? Or were they just long enough to hold in the pulley when tension screws were removed? I've heard both, only a few instances claiming they were too long.

Received a pretty assertive PM from Dipweed that I was wrong in saying they weren't lock-down screws and I should retract my comment. I have no problem owning up to it, but as of now I stand buy it. My manual doesn't even hint that these screws lock the pulley's and I had absolutely zero contact with the socket screws fully seated.
rlane4osu is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2016, 05:46 PM   #84 (permalink)
Registered Users

No problems on my LM kit, but then again I don't crank stuff down real crazy or use gobs of loctite either. I'm not scared to do a bit of fitting with a file or sand paper to get everything cherry either.

I think each builder has a way of doing things right, wrong or indifferent. For example use the 74mm tail blade issue that has been pointed out. I can't say I had an issue there with mine but if I did, a bit sanding of the blade a little or spreading of the grip a little wouldn't even cause me a second thought.
Old 12-30-2016, 06:13 PM   #85 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlane4osu View Post
Quick poll to everyone on the socket screws at the bottom of the tail block. Were yours too long and able to lock up the pulley? Or were they just long enough to hold in the pulley when tension screws were removed? I've heard both, only a few instances claiming they were too long.

Received a pretty assertive PM from Dipweed that I was wrong in saying they weren't lock-down screws and I should retract my comment. I have no problem owning up to it, but as of now I stand buy it. My manual doesn't even hint that these screws lock the pulley's and I had absolutely zero contact with the socket screws fully seated.
They are NOT lock down screws, they simply hold the pulleys at max position when the adjusting screw is removed.
Old 12-30-2016, 06:14 PM   #86 (permalink)
DPW
Registered Users

Default rr

gf

Last edited by DPW; 12-31-2016 at 07:14 AM..
DPW is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2016, 06:24 PM   #87 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipweed View Post
Yes
Probably should start a post on this to confirm
but
I have 2 Align 470L birds
and
Both have super strong springs both are free moving both can be set or locked in place with the set screw

Now
The only way to test and see what is going on is the pull the tail block or test the tail block before install

You can not do it any other way you have to have the tail block in hand to see the operation
Yes. Didn't want to do it but I just finished reassembling my entire tail section just a few minutes ago. Couldn't remember if I checked the pulley bearings, so I tore into it anyway, killing two birds with one stone.

Tail block reassembled in hand itself. My bottom socket screws did not affect the pulley motion in any way. There is no way you could possibly lock it down in either one of my kits.
Dipweed, I'm not saying you're socket screws aren't making contact and locking, I'm saying it's not typical and not by design.
Old 12-30-2016, 06:44 PM   #88 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannym View Post
They are NOT lock down screws, they simply hold the pulleys at max position when the adjusting screw is removed.
Thanks dannym. OP is now accusing me of changing parts in my tail block and the only way for me to get it right is to buy all new parts
Not trying to get all defensive, but my competence is being insulted with the accusations of bad build information.
Old 12-30-2016, 06:46 PM   #89 (permalink)
DPW
Registered Users

Post sd

df

Last edited by DPW; 12-31-2016 at 07:15 AM..
DPW is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2016, 06:53 PM   #90 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipweed View Post
Correction
I have 4 tail blocks that all work as stated
On all 4
The spring loaded belt pulley on all 4 tail blocks lock in place with the bottom socket screw.
Again
The only way to see this operation is to test the tail blocks in hand prior to install.
Only 2 kits and 4 tail blocks?
Lol, then congratulations you have the only 4 tail blocks that work as intended.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:57 PM   #91 (permalink)
Registered Users

If the bottom screws were intended to "lock" the pulley in a certain position then I would think that Align would have printed something to that affect on page 17 of the manual, but they don't. The manual simply states to turn the adjustment screws either clockwise or counterclockwise, they don't say something like this "loosen the bottom locking screw and adjust belt tension...then tighten bottom locking screw".
I setup my heli like others have and tighten the adjusting screws all the way clockwise and adjust belt tension by pulling out the boom then locking it down.
My 2 cents
Old 12-30-2016, 08:08 PM   #92 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannym View Post
If the bottom screws were intended to "lock" the pulley in a certain position then I would think that Align would have printed something to that affect on page 17 of the manual, but they don't. The manual simply states to turn the adjustment screws either clockwise or counterclockwise, they don't say something like this "loosen the bottom locking screw and adjust belt tension...then tighten bottom locking screw".
I setup my heli like others have and tighten the adjusting screws all the way clockwise and adjust belt tension by pulling out the boom then locking it down.
My 2 cents
That's a good idea dannym. I did something similar but left just enough to finish with a turn of the tension screw. The tensioners are nice in that you won't have to redo your tail setup if you need a belt adjustment
Old 12-30-2016, 08:24 PM   #93 (permalink)
Registered Users

What's the point of this thread?

D420, Align 470, Align 450pro v2

Last edited by kevindnyc; 12-31-2016 at 12:34 AM..
kevindnyc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2016, 08:49 PM   #94 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindnyc View Post
What's the point if this thread?

D420, Align 470, Align 450pro v2
There really isn't one. I think it's run its coarse.
Old 12-31-2016, 11:03 AM   #95 (permalink)
Registered Users

Dear old or even dear young dippy also asked me to retract a post, but I won't and haven't.

rlane4osu, my kit is the same as yours in that the screws do the job of allowing the tensioner blocks to move and not fall out.

I won't post my thoughts on the point of this thread. lol.
Andy from Sandy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in