Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > Hurricane 425

Hurricane 425 Discussion and support of the Gaui Hurricane 425

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2010, 12:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Gyro question

Hey guys was just flying my hurricane 425 yesterday all was well did serveral circets left and right then figure 8s, and some piro's head holding great---then I thought I'd try a punch out not high but just to get a feel how my bird would react. when I did it the gyro let go and did a unwanted piro I thought I was in trouble but I newtralized the collective and it went back to hold , i did a few circets after words with any trouble. I have a futaba 401 (maybe more gain?) any Ideas?
mightymouse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2010, 12:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

you could try more gyro gain, more aggressive tail blades, check the servo/linkage for no-binding.

basically, the tail isn't strong enough to counteract the instant torque you threw into the rotorhead.
howardm4 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2010, 01:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Another thing might be the head speed. When I put my 425 together I experimented a little head speeds. The manual states a minimum of 2600, or use larger 79mm tail blades. I am using a JR G770 gyro and the tail would swing out about 45 degrees on full collective punch-outs with a head speed of around 2600. I re-geared it for a head speed of 3000 and it holds great on punch-outs now. The tail never moves.

As mentioned, you could increase the gain a little and see if it helps. With mine at 2600, increasing the gain caused the tail to wag, but didn't stop the "swing" on hard collective inputs.

I don't need the latest and greatest. I just need more time to fly what I have.
Align 450 Sport V2, Gaui 200, Gaui 425 x 2, "HeadHunter 500, Gaui 550, all Flybar'd

Jerrymac is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2010, 04:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location
Default gonna try

Hey Im gonna give those a try my head speed does seem alittle slow, My head holding was perfect until I loaded that torque , there is no binding in the pushrod or servo. thanks guys
Old 06-22-2010, 09:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I started off running a 401 on my 425 but my tail would not hold. I first upgraded my tail to Futuba 9254, but it would let loose when ever i would try something other than sport flying my tail would let loose. I upgraded to a quark, and have not looked back. my tail stays perfectly locked at all times. I can do pitch pumps all day and the tail stays locked.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location
Default ok

Ive increased head speed and its better tail holding that is. But my tail still torks over to left when in popup--gonna try some gain this time and see what happens.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Have you set up the gyro properly?
- Set the limits for throw so that the tail slider has full travel with no binding at either extreme. (LIMIT dial on 401).
- Set the DELAY to 0 (for a digital servo). This should not affect hold much, more likely to affect stops after piros.
- Set the rudder neutral. (Badly documented in the 401 handbook). Basically in RATE mode you want to find how much sub-trim on the rudder is needed to be able to hover without the tail turning. This is 'fine tuning' and should not affect the tail blowing out under high torque. NOTE: REBIND your DX7 to the heli with yhe gyro in HH mode after this step!
- Now sort out the gain. You want the gain set to JUST LESS than the amount needed where the heli wags it's tail a bit in FFF. So fly FFF and if it wags, land and reduce gain a little.

Done all that and it still does not work? You may need to look at the hole that you are using on the rudder servo horn. Ideally the LIMIT should be in the 80 - 120 range on the gyro. If it's low (under 80) then you probably have the tail pushrod connected too far out on the servo horn. Even with a fast servo this can slow down tail response. Reposition to one hole 'in' and reset all the stuff above.
ukgroucho is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in