Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > E-Sky Helicopters > Belt CP

Belt CP E-Sky Belt CP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2013, 03:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default it's been a long absence

Hi All,

Some time ago, I crashed my heli and lost interest in the Belt CP. The main frame (carbon plates) and tail boom broke. I'm thinking about trying to fly again. Just wondering if its worth staying with the Belt CP? Or should I move on to another heli? Wife wanted to throw my broken heli away, but, I could not do it. So, it's hiding in the garage. Thanks in advance for your advice.
808terry is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2013, 05:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well I suppose it depends on how much you want to spend? I would also add about the increasing difficulty of finding e-sky spares, incase you do have any more bumps along the learning curve which is almost inevitable!!

To get a whole new platform is going to be a big investment,naturally. But when you think you will have to order e-sky spares here there and everywhere, and maybe doing a few mods along the way it will probably cost you the same as a new clone, and will waste time in the long term.

So if you can afford it, a new heli will cut alot of the cr&p out of re-building the belt. Otherwise, just take re-build slow and enjoy the learning curve.
TRex600N, Kasama Head, OS50SX
copterboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2013, 01:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would recommend rebuild the Belt the spares are easily available on sites and ebay sellers. I am not sure why people moved on from a belt As it's the same deisgn as a the famous TT Raptor. I realy find it easy to repair and due to the extra linkages it keeps the servos safe. check out my belt videos on youtube search for "avohrarocks"

take care
hellyflyer1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2013, 02:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I also don't know why we all moved away from Belt CP but it might have had to do with a fact that it was a relatively poor and sloppy design, fitted with piss poor electronics topped with rather expensive and hard to get spares. Other than that we all rather loved it
Trex 700N Pro fbl, 600N Pro x 2, 450SE v1, 250 v2 fbl, Compass 6HV fbl, Blade 450x, 400, 300x, 130x, mCPx, 120SR, mQx, mSR, Rotor Concepts HPQ1, Walkera CB180Q, CB100, Novus FP, CP, Esky Hunter, Big Lama.

Last edited by jperkosk; 09-04-2013 at 03:30 PM..
jperkosk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2013, 04:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Despite that, we all rather loved it. And we all get quite upset and protective when someone who never owned one starts to badmouth it!
Helis: Belt-CP, Mini Titan, EXI 450, HK250-GT, HK500-GT, HK600-GT, mSR (all modified/customised). Quads: Q4, nQX, HK250, Custom built 560 Deadcat camera platform. Some planks. DX6i & DX9. And a boat & some HK surface controller thingy.
CyprusDave is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2013, 09:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Speaking of Spares and Rebuilding...

I only recently (about 7 months ago) purchased my first collective pitch heli. It was this inexpensive model that already had newer versions released and was no longer in production but I thought, "eh, what the heck. It's cheaper and if I crash it no biggie."

You guessed it, I bought a Belt CP! A version 1 at that. Now my first couple of attempts at flying it nearly scared me away from the hobby altogether. I'm still hesitant to fly it but I love tinkering with it anyway. I guess I'm a mechanic at heart more so than a pilot.

But I've been flying the smaller stuff (mostly Blade MCPx and 130x) and have gotten fairly comfortable with that and am itching to get back to trying the Belt again. I admit, I'm taking it slow and am somewhat of a scaredy-cat when it comes to these things. But I digress....

Recently, I've been noticing that most of the usual sites are going out of stock on parts so I started searching on e-bay. I found a couple of sources that have most of the parts available and one of them (global.hobby by e-bay name) has BULK pricing. For example, one servo would cost $15 - 16 elsewhere but this place has 'em four for $14! Feathering shafts, main shafts, main gear (with or without one-way bearing), just about everything for the Belt CP. Just be careful to check that it's for your particular model (v1, v2, CPX, etc.) as some of the parts are not interchangeable between the models.

Soooooo.... silly tinkerer that I am, I got to looking at what I had on hand and after ordering all the spares I might need for the usual post crash repairs, I got to thinking that I might just about have enough parts to build a whole other helicopter. So I DID! Just needed a few parts more, including the main frame which I found on e-bay also and it had the bearings and tail drive gear already installed.

And I have also gone to using the Spekrum radios on my birds as all my Blade stuff already comes BNF for that radio. So I now have TWO Belt CPs, both flyable with my DX6i radio. I used the AR6210 (DSMX) for one and a cheaper AR6200 (DSM2) for my newly built bird. I love the AR6200 series radios as they have a second satellite receiver that runs the antennas at a 90 degree to the main ones for polarization purposes. (It also looks cool with the extra lights this puts on the heli to boot!)

Bottom line is that the ESKY birds are still a viable inexpensive starter, especially if you upgrade the radio system to a more reliable system. And the parts are still out there and available - especially the commonly replaced ones and these are available in bulk quantities for around the same price as a quantity of one would have cost in the past.

Hope this helps to encourage someone out there anyway.

Highspeed1964 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2013, 03:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hi all,

Following your recommendation, I bought a used plastic frame and reassembled my Belt CP. I had to get a new lipo too. I am happy to report after a many hours of rebuilding the heli, that it's flying again. It has the stock plastic head and tail units and motor. Used frame also had the DTS modification. This time, I'll keep the training gear on for good.

So, if anyone wants the carbon frame pieces that are still good and metal purple colored parts and screws & blue spacers, PM me. You can have them att no charge.

Thanks again for your input. It's good to be in the air once again.
808terry is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in