Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Futaba Radios and Electronics > Futaba 14MZ - 12Z

Futaba 14MZ - 12Z Futaba 14MZ and 12Z Help and features Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2006, 09:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Mini-Tutorial: 12Z Calibration Utility

I wrote a small how-to on using the 12Z calibration/setup tools ... http://www.rcfan.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=151 (you'll need to register to see it).

--Felix

EDIT: some folks requested I include it here. Note, if you have trouble seeing the images, give it a minute and try refreshing this page.
RCfan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2006, 10:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hopefully by now most 12Z owners are aware that Futaba has been kind enough to include the calibration and setup tools with each radio. Unfortunately they (intentionally) forgot to document how to start and use it. The tools allow you to adjust gimbals' calibration, change radio mode and type, test radio operation, rearrange modular switches and a few other interesting things (as you'll soon discover).

While the tools are relatively simple to use, some will still find it helpful to visualize certain things before actually attempting to use it. Hope this helps!

:::: PLEASE NOTE :::: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. MAY VOID WARRANTY! ::::

First thing you'll need is a compatible Compact Flash (CF) card. Doesn't matter what's in it or it's capacity, just get one along with a card reader to hook up to your PC. Before proceeding, copy all models on the radio's internal memory to the CF card and then back them up on your computer. Also, make sure to use a freshly charged battery before attempting any of the following.

Lets begin ...

Quote:
Starting with the 2007-03-21 12Z update, follow these instructions to access the calibration utilities of the radio.

All you need to do is add some text to each of the .ini files. There's also a new file that operates a subset of the calibration utilities (handles stick mode and calibration as well as switch arrangement), if it exists, it takes precedence over T12ZTEST.ini but not T12SETRX.ini

Listed in order in which the 12Z searches for these files on the CF card:

1) T12ZSETRX.ini
Execute T12Z Setting Rx Program

2) T12ZTESTLIGHT.ini
Execute T12Z Reduced Test

3) T12ZTEST.ini
Execute T12Z Test Program

The above text (in blue) should be the very first line in each of those files (in red).
Start by creating an empty file called T12ZTEST.ini on the root folder (top-most directory) of the CF card (hint: if you run Windows use Notepad to create the file). Carefully insert the CF card into the radio (after properly ejecting it from the PC of course) and power it up. You should be greeted by the Futaba T12Z banner page indicating it found the memory card and it's searching it for files (as shown below):

At this stage the radio is trying to determine how to start. Normally it'll see the CF card and run the regular radio application (GUI). However, when it detects T12ZTEST.ini in the CF card, it runs the setup application instead. If you do not see the following screen, turn off the radio, verify that you properly created the T12ZTEST.ini file on the CF card and try again.

Voilą, you've started the 12Z setup application! Doesn't look like much; actually, it's the first of several menu pages as you'll shortly find out. You should be able to determine what the four-digit number on the top right is on your own, so I won't say much else here.

The first thing the tool requests is confirmation that the radio's main navigation controls are operating properly. On this page you'll notice several flashing icons. The radio is waiting for you to press or operate each respective control on the radio. SW1 & SW2 are the HOME and RETURN buttons respectively, CURSOR is pretty obvious and DIAL is the DATA rotary. Once you actuate a control, the respective flashing icon will be replaced with ok (see below).

The above image shows what you'll see once you've pressed and moved all nav. controls, i.e. all flashing icons have been replaced with ok. Note that on the screen, next to the HOME and RETURN buttons, there are NEXT and PREV arrows indicating those button's new operation. From this point on, you can jump or skip any page by using those buttons. Go ahead and press the HOME button to go onto the NEXT setup page.

Hmm, not much to see here except a chance to verify that the center dial (CD) and digital trims (DT1-4) are all operating normally. As you can see on the page, you can skip this by using HOME or RETURN. Go ahead and operate these controls ...

You'll see the above once you've successfully exercised the displayed controls. Move onto the next page (HOME button).

No technical information is available on this page. Pressing the DATA (rotary) dial appears to verify Tx communication and module health. Give it a try ...

You'll see the above if the Tx tests succeed. Lets move on ...

I intentionally won't go into much detail on this page (if you can't figure-out why, please don't ask me). The most important setting here is TX-TYPE which determines the radio type (airplane [ACRO] or heli), default stick mode (1 or 2) and modulation (blank is G3, 1024 is PCM, you can't select PPM, but if current in-memory model is using PPM, it'll display it as seen above). Use the rotary dial to change the value. It appears that the Tx values shown on this page come from the last in-memory model. I'll leave it as an exercise for the reader to determine what the other settings do. Onto more useful pages ...

This is probably the busiest setup page of all and can be a bit daunting at first glance. Take the time to learn this WELL. This page performs two functions. It allows you to test the throws of the gimbals, sliders and dials, i.e. simply move a particular input and see what it does. A properly calibrated radio shows ±6400 at extreme throws and zero at center. Note that 2-pos switches don't have a center position and gimbal values will fluctuate slightly, particularly around mid-stick.

So what's with the flashing widgets? They're calibration point indicators, which leads us to this page's most interesting function. The main function of this page is to allow calibration of the displayed inputs. Calibration is done by moving each input to it's corresponding position (identified by the flashing icons) and pressing the DATA dial for approx. 2 seconds (you'll hear a confirmation beep). Lets walk through a typical calibration session, starting from the page as seen in the above image:

Part 1
  1. Center both sliders (LS & RS)
  2. Turn both dials (LD & RD) full counterclockwise (to the left dummy)
  3. Center all gimbals
  4. Press and hold the DATA dial for approx. 2 seconds (wait for the beep)
At this point the flashing icon of each properly calibrated input will be replaced with an ok and new calibration points start to flash (see below). Note that if at any time you make a mistake, you can restart the calibration process by exiting the page and coming back in. Proceed to calibrate the remaining points ...

Part 2
  1. Move both sliders (LS & RS) down
  2. Turn both dials (LD & RD) full clockwise (do I have to elaborate?)
  3. Move all gimbals fully down AND right (see note)
  4. Press and hold the DATA dial for approx. 2 seconds (wait for beep)
NOTE: Use very light pressure on the gimbals' end-points, this will ensure the best-possible calibration.

Part 3
  1. Move both sliders (LS & RS) up
  2. Move all gimbals fully up AND left
  3. Press and hold the DATA dial for approx. 2 seconds (wait for beep)
NOTE: Use very light pressure on the gimbals' end-points, this will ensure the best-possible calibration.

The above image shows the result of a successful calibration (gimbals' values will vary slightly). At this point the page reverts back to it's "verify" function so you can confirm calibration values. Next page!

This page operates exactly like the previous calibration page except it manages the remaining (switch) inputs. Note that it may look different than the above image depending on your radio's switch layout.

Some useful information about the radio and software versions. You should be able to identify the id at the bottom of the page and what it's function is on your own.

This page is used to configure how each physical switch operates. For each switch, use the DATA dial to assign it's proper function. Note that once you've done this, you should go to page [6:MIX-SW REVI] to verify proper switch calibration and adjust if necessary.

Hopefully you've found this information useful and easy to understand. Please let me know if there's anything that needs clarification or enhancing further.

--Felix (aka RCfan)
__________________________________________________ ________________
The following I present only as an FYI and won't provide any instruction on what it's for or how to use it. Only information I'll provide is how to get into the menu, what you do from there is up to you.

As in the setup tutorial above, start by creating an empty file named T12ZTEST.ini on the root folder of the CF card. Create a second file called T12ZSETRX.ini at the same level as T12ZTEST.ini. Take the CF card to the radio and power it up. You should see the Futaba startup banner followed shortly by the following menu page. Enjoy!

Old 12-05-2006, 02:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

This does not work on my radio. The radio ignores the T12ZTEST.ini and goes straight into the menu screen!

Doh! I forgot to show file extensions in Windows. I had the filename T12ZTEST.ini.txt. - had to delete the .txt extension. Works perfectly now! Great thanks for the info.
Shagga is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2007, 08:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Starting with the 2007-03-21 12Z update, follow these instructions to access the calibration utilities of the radio.

All you need to do is add some text to each of the .ini files. There's also a new file that operates a subset of the calibration utilities (handles stick mode and calibration as well as switch arrangement), if it exists, it takes precedence over T12ZTEST.ini but not T12SETRX.ini

1) T12ZSETRX.ini::

2) T12ZTESTLIGHT.ini::

3) T12ZTEST.ini::

The above text should be the very first line in each of those files.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hi,

I got myself a Futaba 12Z radio with a bergen helicopter. Now the radio arrived in Mode-2 but I fly Mode-1.

I am aware and have done lot of mode changes in your earlier futaba radio like the 9CAP, 7CAP and 6XAS radios. But can i do the change in mode for the Futaba 12Z radio too. If so is it the same procedure as the above mentioned radios?

After physically changing the springs in the radio, how do i change the mode in the software of the radio.

I'm from India and thers is no service centre of Futaba in my country.

I tried writing a mail to your customer service, but so far no reply. Kindly help.

Regards,

Adasrh www.adarsh007.com
Bangalore, India.
adarsh_007 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2007, 08:00 AM   #6 (permalink)

My HF Map location

This screen in the service menu.
http://www.rcfan.com/files/12Z/calib/IMG_0184.JPG

I would think the Trans Type can be changed to Mode 1 and the transmitter will default to Mode 1 mode. Then the calibration process will have to be done. It is pretty straight forward once you get the mechanical parts changed to Mode 1.

David
DavidH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2007, 12:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hi David,

Thanks, i'll get myself one CF card and card reader and will try this tonight. Lets see if i succeed.

Regards,

Adarsh
www.adarsh007.com
Bangalore, India.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:09 AM   #8 (permalink)

My HF Map location

You should not have a problem. Everyone that owns 12Z or 14MZ needs a card reader and couple of extra CF cards. Try to get the least mega bit card you can find. Do not get the ultra versions as some of them do not work. Get just a basic CF card, Sandisk, Lexus, couple of others.
I have a 32 mb Sandisk and a 128 mb Sandisk I got for less than $10 each.

David
Old 03-30-2007, 05:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Not getting the CF card of that size here. However, i interchanged the ratchets and the spring of the throttle and elevator and later went to functions and swapped the J2 and J3 (i guess they are Joystick1 & Joystick2) functions. It seemed to work fine till now. Lets see

I guess i have no other go except for this one.

Regards,

Adarsh www.adarsh007.com
Bangalore, India.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default I noticed somthing about files on CF card

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCfan

1) T12ZSETRX.ini::

2) T12ZTESTLIGHT.ini::

3) T12ZTEST.ini::

The above text should be the very first line in each of those files.
It pays like you said to back up your files off the radio.
I had a hard time getting into the Calibration menu.
I had the 'MODEL' folder on the card and it would not boot to calibration menu. Subsequently the Model Folder was not the problem.
I deleted all files off the CF card accept for 12ztest.ini.
And yes it booted to Calibration Menu screen as you have in your picture sequence.
Also I would like to let anyone out there interested to know:-
Compatible CF card & Reader Info..
I have a HP Photosmart 7260 Printer it has a built in card reader and it works perfectly !!
I also Purchased a 2Gig Transcend 120x CF card and it works perfectly.
Might be able to save alot of models

Thanks for your posts RCFan that has really helped.

Last edited by Milde Shag; 08-07-2007 at 07:31 PM..
Milde Shag is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2007, 08:29 AM   #11 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
I had the 'MODEL' folder on the card and it would not boot to calibration menu.
Doesn't matter if the model folder is on the card or not. The model folder will be placed on the card when the radio boots up.

If you had all three files on the card. That was the problem. You have to disable the ones you don't need to use. You do this by putting an underscore as the first character in the file name.

For Example like this. _T12ZSETRX.ini
_T12ZTESTLIGHT.ini
Then the file your using would be normal T12ZTEST.ini Then when you don't want to use this one, put an underscore in front of it also.

That way you can keep all the files on the card and activate them when needed.

They all work for me except the SETRX one. I am interested in messing with that one. Just have to figure out why it won't boot up.

David
Old 04-03-2007, 04:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

[quote="RCfan"]
Quote:
They all work for me except the SETRX one. I am interested in messing with that one. Just have to figure out why it won't boot up.
I have read RCfan's instructions, IMO that you have to have both files on the flash card to boot to SETRX Menu.

[quote="DavidH"]
Quote:
As in the setup tutorial above, start by creating an empty file named T12ZTEST.ini on the root folder of the CF card. Create a second file called T12ZSETRX.ini at the same level as T12ZTEST.ini. Take the CF card to the radio and power it up. You should see the Futaba startup banner followed shortly by the following menu page. Enjoy!
T12ZTEST.INI
T12ZSETRX.INI
This worked for me
Hmm I can't get T12ZTESTLIGHT.INI working.
Not sure what the problem is here?
Old 04-03-2007, 05:47 PM   #13 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Didn't try that. I have talked to Felix on the phone also <G>. Will try that sequence and see if it works.
Going to try just taking the underscore away from those two files first and see if that works.

Thanks
David
Old 05-18-2007, 09:19 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hello everybody from greece

first sorry for my bad english...

i own a 14mz...and i must change my module to another band...

anyway i fount out trying that the text file trick doesnt work for the 14mz

...pleaseanyone can help me out

cose iam realy alone out here and i have no help....

last time i flew my jet....a car in the next feald was on the same bald like me

anyway thak you for your time and again sorry for my bad engl;ish

best regards
George p.

GREECE
DellGattoGrande is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2007, 01:52 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Red face So lucky we can calibrate the 12Z

The Futaba 12ZH radio is very cool.
Its nice to be able to customize the setup or be able to re-set calibration.
Unfortunately I have been reading that the 14MZ is not so user friendly.
Not sure what the problem is don't own one cant afford one. (Overkill).
I just bought a new Module for my 12Z and used the calibration menu to set area.
It was a walk in the park and I could only imagine sending my radio to a service agent.

I have posted some noise about Futaba 6EXH & 9CHP, it would be nice if some of the more
experianced radio owners/operators would help.
Calibration is the issue.
How To? is the question.
6EXH & 9CHP.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:46 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

So if I wanted to use the calibration program for the T14MZ should I then also rename the files?(to T14MZ.... instead of T12Z....)

I'm using the T14MZUtility.exe from the latest FX40 build.

Anybody who has succesfully done this on a T14MZ care to share his details?

I'm afraid that after the S2 reset (as per instructions) not only my model data was cleaned but also country etc.
Without a CF card I now get a message that my module is not allowed in the US(Module mismatch). But this is a European tranny . The module is ofcourse 35Mhz.

When I boot with a CF card with the T14MZUtility.exe and an ini file it briefly shows the main menu and tells me it is "saving modell data" and shutsdown.

Anybody ??

Regards,

Marc

Last edited by poerqwa; 09-09-2007 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: additional info.
poerqwa is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2007, 02:16 PM   #17 (permalink)
Team Taco Member

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by poerqwa View Post
So if I wanted to use the calibration program for the T14MZ should I then also rename the files?(to T14MZ.... instead of T12Z....)
No this will not work

Quote:
I'm using the T14MZUtility.exe from the latest FX40 build.

Anybody who has succesfully done this on a T14MZ care to share his details?

I'm afraid that after the S2 reset (as per instructions) not only my model data was cleaned but also country etc.
Without a CF card I now get a message that my module is not allowed in the US(Module mismatch). But this is a European tranny . The module is ofcourse 35Mhz.

When I boot with a CF card with the T14MZUtility.exe and an ini file it briefly shows the main menu and tells me it is "saving modell data" and shutsdown.
The only file that should be on the card is the 14MZUtility.exe. The upgrade sw should also be in the normal run position

I went through all the setup screens successfully. In the stick and sw calibration screen L1, L2 and L3 don't exist on the 14MZ but are assigned to the sliders on the side of the Tx

Attached is the pdf for the FX40 from the zip file if you don't already have it
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FX40_update and testing without OS.pdf (623.6 KB, 2903 views)

Morley F1 60 Max (OS 61LX-H), Hirobo SDX (OS 55HZ-H, GY701), Trex 450SE + some planks
MarkD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2007, 03:52 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Did you also do the S2 reset as the documentation suggests?
Old 09-09-2007, 04:04 PM   #19 (permalink)
Team Taco Member

My HF Map location

Yes I did - took me a while to get the Tx back to usable again tho. Software should be on 1.31 before you run the utility

Morley F1 60 Max (OS 61LX-H), Hirobo SDX (OS 55HZ-H, GY701), Trex 450SE + some planks
MarkD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2007, 02:38 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks.

Will try to "downgrade" my software to 1.31 today. I actually had it already upgrade to 1.37 so this makes sense. Fingers crossed because it it fails I'll have to bring it in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in