Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2009, 12:01 PM   #1961 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

One other thing to consider is if you're using your pitch gauge correctly. I have had it where it was on an angle and things looked really funny. Those sub-trim numbers aren't too high, should be fine. I would say check your trims in all flights modes too - the DX7 remembers trim settings for each flight mode separately (sub-trim is always the same). If you're using the throttle hold mode to do your setup, make sure it has the same trim and pitch curves as your stunt mode. There is lots of things to check, and I've had this problem myself, and I fixed it by methodically double-checking everything. I didn't even realize the issue until I went to do an inverted hover and almost crashed - at least you are finding it in a safer way
Jasmine2501 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2009, 07:23 PM   #1962 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok, I am in fact a colossal doofus. I verified all of the radio settings and that didn't seem to be the problem so I decided to take some pictures of the head (high, low, mid throttle) and then again with cyclic. This is where I noticed "the problem". When I started setting up, I noticed that once I reversed the pitch mix on swash the servos were moving in the right direction for pitch. I immediately started working on the head. I never bothered to verify elevator or aileron, since I just left it at mid stick the whole time during setup. Of course it was messed up. I never properly set the direction for ELE and AIL. Sooooo, I get to do this all over again. Well, lesson learned, and more practice for me. Thanks for your responses!

p.s. Yes Jasmine you are right, MUCH better to find this out now that trying to take it in the air first!

Last edited by tcprogrammer; 09-23-2009 at 07:23 PM.. Reason: typo error
tcprogrammer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2009, 02:04 AM   #1963 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Hey! Live and learn! We all cant "figure out" your problem but I am glad Jasmine got it this go around! This is why Helifreak has a good collective of people that stick around and help!

Jasmine has been around a while and she knows her stuff! I am thankful she participates here on HF.... You go Girl! Special thanks from ME Jasmine for helping!

Now your smarter than you were before..... All "WE" ask is pay it back one day
I know Jasmine would agree!

Glad you got it worked out and HF helped you!

Happy flying......
Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2009, 03:47 AM   #1964 (permalink)
Registered Users

Finless, I'm using Futaba 6EX radio and it don't have subtrim menu. I can only level and servo using Trim setting. Also my pitch is at around +9 and -5, can't seem to able to make it both +9 and -9 else the center will become -1 pitch. By the way I'm using CopterX V2 SE. Should I follow the CopterX or Align T-450 V2 setup guide?
hitz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2009, 10:35 AM   #1965 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

6EX is not a good heli radio for exactly those reasons. Your best bet is to use servo wheels and drill your own hole at 90. That should fix your pitch issue as well.

Bob
Old 09-24-2009, 10:55 AM   #1966 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post
Now your smarter than you were before..... All "WE" ask is pay it back one day
I know Jasmine would agree!
Yup that is how it works... I wasn't born knowing anything about helis. I spent hours reading this site and others and working on my own helis, eventually progressing to working on helis for other people, and then helping train them to fly - which is a whole lot easier if their heli is working right

One thing I love about helis is there is always something new to learn, some new electronic gizmo, or a new technique, and I'll never run out of flying moves to try...
Old 09-24-2009, 10:19 PM   #1967 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post
6EX is not a good heli radio for exactly those reasons. Your best bet is to use servo wheels and drill your own hole at 90. That should fix your pitch issue as well.

Bob
Ya I also know that 6EX is not that suitable for flying heli's as not much setting can be tune from it. But this the only radio i'm having so will try to used it for my CX450. Thank Bob...
hitz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2009, 01:33 AM   #1968 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Bob I was watching your ESC setup video and the new one does come with instructions with the throttle response on it.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:36 PM   #1969 (permalink)
Registered Users

hello all, I'm having trouble with the tracking on my 450, please help! Basically the tracking is prone to changing, often during flight. At first I thought this was due to a loose blade weight but having swapped to different blades it still happens. Often jerking the cyclic around during flight or pumping the pitch will get it to settle in a well tracked position, but not always. I'm guessing this is caused by something loose or worn in the head but any ideas what? The blade grips seem to click up and down on the feather, is this normal when the head is unloaded? It's an XL with a V2 all ally head.
Kington99 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2009, 02:46 PM   #1970 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kington99 View Post
hello all, I'm having trouble with the tracking on my 450, please help! Basically the tracking is prone to changing, often during flight. At first I thought this was due to a loose blade weight but having swapped to different blades it still happens. Often jerking the cyclic around during flight or pumping the pitch will get it to settle in a well tracked position, but not always. I'm guessing this is caused by something loose or worn in the head but any ideas what? The blade grips seem to click up and down on the feather, is this normal when the head is unloaded? It's an XL with a V2 all ally head.
Bent feathering shaft or bad dampeners. The clicking up and down might be your first clue?

Could be a hosed bearing too I suppose. Time to take your head apart either way... but don't pull your hair out
Old 10-05-2009, 03:39 PM   #1971 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Most the time I see this, it is a loose ball in the head. Most often a blade grip ball or the one on the mixing arm the blade grip link goes to. It doesn't have to be very loose either and is often overlooked!

Bob
Old 10-05-2009, 08:32 PM   #1972 (permalink)
Registered Users

can i use the align esc like in your video and use a 3500g tail servo without a step down? thanks
helibro6 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2009, 04:07 AM   #1973 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Causes I have seen for intermittant tracking problems include:
* Headblock not fully tightened and is able to move slightly on the shaft.
* Worn out dampers
* Main grip bearings not seated properly
* Main grips not tightened down onto the feathering shaft properly (usually due to no loctite or loctite failed and the screw has backed out a little)
* Damaged or poor quality blade flexing under load
* Balls come loose on grips or mixing arms or worn links
Previous rides: HX242, W5-4, TRex450(HDE), TRex450(SE), QJ-EP8v2, BCX2 ,Logo10, Hurricane550
SIM: Phoenix (previously also Reflex/XTR, ClearView, RF, FMS)
kgfly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2009, 11:59 AM   #1974 (permalink)
Registered Users

hmm, turns out the bolts securing the flybar seesaw were completely loose allowing it to rock sideways. Haveing tightenend them, it now flys beautifully again. Good work Helifreaks.
Kington99 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2009, 07:09 AM   #1975 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've just finished downloading the last of the build videos from post #1.

Thanks heaps for putting your time and effort into creating these for everyone. I'll set out to watch them all before I 'attack' my heli that is coming soon.

Nocker
Nocker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2009, 06:05 PM   #1976 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just watched all of the build videos in one session last night!

Fantastic information and insight into this heli. Thanks heaps Bob
Nocker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2009, 12:09 PM   #1977 (permalink)

Excellent thank you Finless
funkt33 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2009, 08:59 AM   #1978 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thumbs up

Just got my 450 and again watched the video's. Thanks for the fresh up
Burp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2009, 08:25 PM   #1979 (permalink)

Thumbs up

thank you Finless. these are more help than my LHS can ever provide.
Langs
Langs450 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2009, 04:56 PM   #1980 (permalink)
Registered Users

Many thanks Finless!!! The build videos have helped immensely.
PhoenixHeli81 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in