Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2010, 06:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Question 450 TO 600 QUESTION-

So, I have a partially built HK600 w some trex 600 mixed in parts (Trex 600e clone) and I am coming close to completion w/ the electronics portion (slowly buying part by part due to available $ in the pocket issues.)
I need an esc, 6s and gyro and I can fly.
I've been flying my 450 w/ the co pilot 2 turned on at all times and I don't think I should just go fly the 600 until I get a combo 2 co pilot deal (or whatever the more simplicit package is.) Many say the bigger helis are far easier to control (less "squirelly" than the 450's) so, I am wondering if I should wait until I have cp2 installed to attempt flying. I flew, well hovered ok many months ago before I even heard of cp2.
What's it like to first fly a big heli from always flying 450's and smaller heli's?
Being I can't really bench test this bird due to size, I should probably get a pitch gauge...and maybe some red electric tape for tracking.
I have a swash leveling tool coming along w/ a blade balancer tool.
(Sorry to get off the 'flight stabilization' topic...just never flew a huge heli like this 600...awesome clone by the way for the $!!!)
Boomkidd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2010, 08:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

To start with it will scare the life out of you in the beginning...

True it is much easier to control than a 450, but along with that you will have to be extremely careful.

A 450 can hurt you, a 600 is deadly

nightflyr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2010, 08:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

It's sitting on the table in front of me and it scares me to look at it.
The machinery is sooo much bigger...

That answer just says put cp2 on 1st all over it...
Old 10-21-2010, 08:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

That is a good thing, get to learn to respect it and you'll do fine, remember it is NOT a toy

Old 10-21-2010, 08:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflyr View Post
That is a good thing, get to learn to respect it and you'll do fine, remember it is NOT a toy
I know. You ever peek at the manual for the trex's (I know u have)...There's a picture of a radio = and crossed out stuffed bear. (says not a toy and blabla.) Funny people those Align guys are
I worked at toyota for a while and every bumper cover box had a bear striking the bumper cover cartoon...whats with the asian's and the bear thing?
weird
Old 10-21-2010, 08:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Best advise I can give you..
Take your time and do it right, double check everything then check it again.

And when the time comes to spool up don't let the noise or ground vibrations get you scared.
And one other thing be in a very open area till you get use to it

Old 10-21-2010, 08:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

When I went from a 450 to a 500, the noise was very scary. now I am use to it. The 600 is even more noisy, once your past the noise factor, its even better with a CP2
Old 10-21-2010, 08:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The noise is (mainly) from the pinion meshing w/ the ring gear, right?
They should make helentrically cut drive gears to keep them quiet...backlash adjustment and all to get it right or something like a differential.
That's why reverse in almost every vehicle is loud...straight cut gears.
OR, is the sound from the machete like blades?
Prob both.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

i'm right there with nightflyr on this one. a little extra time now will save you loads of time rebuilding your 600 if you should suffer an unscheduled landing due to mechanical failure.

i have a HK600GT also(search my sn in youtube). my biggest fear generator when moving from my beltCP V2 was the noise the blades made. you get over it pretty quickly, but when you start to pull collective it makes an unforgettable noise

to hover it, build some training gear -
4 aluminum arrows from wal*mart or wherever they are cheap.
a block of 2x4 wood that you cut square.
drill 4 holes just smaller than the arrows in the 2x4 on each of the four faces (not top or bottom). then
4 old dead tennis balls for the ends. cut a slit in one side of each and epoxy/shoe goo/ RTV etc the arrows on.

this machine with my setup would hover just fine with a head speed ~1500rpm and was sluggish enough on the controls to maintain a hover easily. i used that headspeed to dial in my trims and it will now hover hands off the controller for about 5-7sec.(then my nerves give out and i NEED to grab the tx again)

i've flown it with a head speed as low as ~1200rpm but i keep it roughly at ~1800rpm

cheers,
Brian
Old 11-05-2010, 06:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSlow2Care View Post
i'm right there with nightflyr on this one. a little extra time now will save you loads of time rebuilding your 600 if you should suffer an unscheduled landing due to mechanical failure.

i have a HK600GT also(search my sn in youtube). my biggest fear generator when moving from my beltCP V2 was the noise the blades made. you get over it pretty quickly, but when you start to pull collective it makes an unforgettable noise

to hover it, build some training gear -
4 aluminum arrows from wal*mart or wherever they are cheap.
a block of 2x4 wood that you cut square.
drill 4 holes just smaller than the arrows in the 2x4 on each of the four faces (not top or bottom). then
4 old dead tennis balls for the ends. cut a slit in one side of each and epoxy/shoe goo/ RTV etc the arrows on.

this machine with my setup would hover just fine with a head speed ~1500rpm and was sluggish enough on the controls to maintain a hover easily. i used that headspeed to dial in my trims and it will now hover hands off the controller for about 5-7sec.(then my nerves give out and i NEED to grab the tx again)

i've flown it with a head speed as low as ~1200rpm but i keep it roughly at ~1800rpm

cheers,
Brian
Here's what I have going. I have a align 600: boom, swash, flybar cage, wash-out block, 600motor and align struts. I'm using radix blades which need no balancing. KBDD tail blades. The rest is all the HK. I used a 600 swash leveling tool because when I did w/ my 450, it went perfectly straight up first time out. I mean perfect. I purchased a align pitch gauge and set the pitch perfectly. I think it should be ok w/o any training gear. (Is it really that different flying wise from a 450?) I'm going to co pilot 2 this death machine and dial it's control out each flight session until it's all me flying. That's how I've been doing my 450 and it's going well so far.
Sucks, I just got all my stuff (esc, gyro, servos, 6s, etc) and the ice 85 esc has totally different billet connectors that the standard motor's plugs...gona have to HS it tomorrow and cut / solder the align style females on there. Sucks also because the females on the ice have screw holes or something that probably secures the wires on the motor.
I'm excited to spool this up and hover her!!
Old 11-05-2010, 10:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Boom,

I fly with my co-pilot off but still like having it installed. I have lost a tail belt (500)and cp brought it down level, I have lost it in the dark(450) stupid I know but sometime I fly in lit up parkinglots and this time I went beyond the light . I just kicked cp on and lewered the collective to where I knew it would be falling slowly and went and got it 0 damage brought it back in the mid of the lot and flew some more.

I crash on this 600 will cost you more than CP. It is worth it. Having said that you will prob be bale to fly it with it off all the time no problem. my 500 flies like an eagle soars compared to my pissed off bumble bee of a 450. Just the difference between my 450's and 500's is huge I can't wait to get a 600/700 size heli. I am liquidating/trading some of my planes in on heli stuff..and may eventually dump a 450 or 2 and one of my 500's to fund my next (bigger) heli.. I hardly have time for the planes now that I fly helis.... It cool I have lots of open fields near where I live and I keep a 500 a 450 and three chargers in the truck and yes I top off my lipos while driving so I can stop off and fly a few packs whenever I feel like it.

I was thinking of trying out one of those HK600's you say the kit seems pretty good?
T-Rex 800DFC Pro, 700LTOP, 700L Night, 550V2, 470LT, 250DFC, Oxy-2 x2, 3 x2, 4, Goblin 500 Sport(soon), Fireball x2, Blade 230s Night, 180CFX, MCPS, Nano CPX & NQX2 FPV, Vortex 250, Inductrix FPV. K110 Cars/Trucks/Planes AMA#L965241, Part 107 Pilot
#iamundeservedlyblessedandiknowit
TeeJayShelton is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in