Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2009, 08:38 PM   #121 (permalink)
Registered Users

I understand what you are saying Bob, but i would really like you to have a go at setting up the tail and getting your opinion on what needs to be done as this is still a major issue with this heli. There are so many opinions on how to fix the tail and i think we need someone like you to clarify what is the best way to attack this probblem. As Jasmine2501 said she has not fix the tail issue and we need a video that gives us a positive outcome for a solid tail or close to it.

Cheers
JohnAu
T-Rex 500 GF
T-Rex 600E GF
JohnAu is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2009, 08:50 PM   #122 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerjeff View Post
Jas,
Looks a lot like my 250 about 125 batteries ago.Have you tried cut down tail blades?if you really want to go WOW,bolt on a 9257.Im finding the gyro is the best part of the kit .
I'll cut down the blades as a last resort - up here in Colorado, I find that fatter blades helped on my 400, and also on my planks. I've put on the new tail hub, and in doing that I noticed that the pushrod wasn't exactly straight, so if I ever get decent weather again I'll give it a go and see what happens. I also have a DS290G sitting here and I'll try that next if the new hub doesn't fix it. I'm not a hard flyer, but I would like to be able to do funnels and backwards flight, and the way it was, that's just not working. Someone else here in town has it working well with the stock stuff, but I'm not sure what kind of flying he's doing. I had this issue with my Blade 400 (not anywhere near enough gain) and I never noticed it until I got into trying some tail slides.
Jasmine2501 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2009, 09:12 PM   #123 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine2501 View Post
I'll cut down the blades as a last resort - up here in Colorado, I find that fatter blades helped on my 400, and also on my planks. I've put on the new tail hub, and in doing that I noticed that the pushrod wasn't exactly straight, so if I ever get decent weather again I'll give it a go and see what happens. I also have a DS290G sitting here and I'll try that next if the new hub doesn't fix it. I'm not a hard flyer, but I would like to be able to do funnels and backwards flight, and the way it was, that's just not working. Someone else here in town has it working well with the stock stuff, but I'm not sure what kind of flying he's doing. I had this issue with my Blade 400 (not anywhere near enough gain) and I never noticed it until I got into trying some tail slides.
Curious as to what your gain on your 250 is ? dx7 right? looks light.I had no luck with the jr 290,either wag or loose tail.Flew it with light gain,it was Ok until you tried stuff as easy as a backflip,if your collective wasnt spot on,your tail would blow out.You dont know how many times I almost stamped the 250 into the ground with my foot LOL,now i love it!
gixxerjeff is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2009, 10:12 PM   #124 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerjeff View Post
Curious as to what your gain on your 250 is ? dx7 right? looks light.I had no luck with the jr 290,either wag or loose tail.Flew it with light gain,it was Ok until you tried stuff as easy as a backflip,if your collective wasnt spot on,your tail would blow out.You dont know how many times I almost stamped the 250 into the ground with my foot LOL,now i love it!
Yes, DX7 using the auto-gain feature. In the video it's the last flight after messing around with it for two full batteries, and I tried gain values from 60% to 99%... the low end was holding ok until you started moving around, and the high end was causing wag if you moved the tail - that's why I was slamming the tail a bit in the first part. It always worked fine until you started moving sideways, and I flew in a bit of a cross-wind one day too and it seemed fine, but it was obviously not. Seemed to be holding fine going to the right, but crappy going to the left.

Decided to check just before posting, so I took apart my old tail hub and it has two bearings in it, so it was definitely the old one. I definitely recommend that Thorp driver - would not have gotten the thing apart without that.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:45 AM   #125 (permalink)
Registered Users

You guys should shut up, and be happy for what Bob does, instead of complaining if he takes a easier route on a build-vid thats already available elsewhere.

Remember he does this on his own time off, leaving less time to his family, flying, building computers and what not.

Just be happy someone bother to do ANY vids at all, just to be nice and helpfull.

GO BOB

Rune
Roadrune is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2009, 06:04 AM   #126 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrune View Post
You guys should shut up, and be happy for what Bob does, instead of complaining if he takes a easier route on a build-vid thats already available elsewhere.

Remember he does this on his own time off, leaving less time to his family, flying, building computers and what not.

Just be happy someone bother to do ANY vids at all, just to be nice and helpfull.

GO BOB
Couldn't agree more - Jasmines's vids cover everything - as Bob himself has stated previously - give the guy a break.

Just be thankful that there are folks like Bob and Jasmine around - if you don't like it, don't bother logging on to the forums!

Keep up the great work Bob and Jasmine - you really are much appreciated.

A
AlasdairM is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2009, 07:08 AM   #127 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ditto, many thanks to Bob and Jasmine for their hard work, current build videos are excellent.
I have just finished my 250 Super combo build see pic below. It’s my first build and have used nothing other than the Video’s on this forum and manual provided.
Tail is OK but I expect as I advance from the hover I will need help getting is stronger.
The video I personally think would be most useful is how to get the best out the tail with the stock kit, setting it up basically! I do know going out and buying a new Spartan and a XXX servo is a fix, but it seems like a sledgehammer to crack a nut scenario. Changing washers/bearings trimming blades should be tune the kit to near perfection. I can’t believe Align would release something so fundamentally wrong that you need to spend £100’s to fix. Just my 2 cents.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	left.jpg
Views:	620
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	79335  
aharmsworth is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2009, 10:25 AM   #128 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Im surprised at all the complaints about Align and this heli. No one said we all have to go out and buy these first kits when they hit the market. Constantly tweaking and buying upgraded electronics and parts comes with this hobby. Besides if people are thinking it is hard to get this heli dialed in right I suggest getting a Gaui v1. and you will really appreciate this heli. This thing is like a cruise ship in comparison.

Ive been flying for over three years. I have a Blade cp pro, Gaui 200 v1, Trex 250, Trex 450 se, Trex 500, JR Venture 50 cp. And no matter how good they or I fly, Im still putting upgrades and tweaking when I or somebody discovers something better. Thats part of the fun.

These 200 sized helis are a handful. They are relatively new to the market. Theyre not meant to learn on. It takes alot of time and dedication to get them to fly good and even more than that to get them to fly like a bigger bird. Please everybody stay patient with Bob, Jasmine, Align, and this heli. Offer positive feedback, tips, suggestions, etc. And we will all be able to enjoy this heli.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:16 PM   #129 (permalink)

you know what would be cool is if someone made a nonstop timelapse of them building a trex 250 you know what I'm saying? There's one on YouTube for a 600 or 700 and it's pretty cool but they were really slow lol
Evan T. is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2009, 11:44 PM   #130 (permalink)
Registered Users

Aharmsworth, that has got to be the cleanest install i've seen EVER. Excellent job! looks sweet. Although you did void your esc warranty
cbrian4 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2009, 02:48 AM   #131 (permalink)
Registered Users

Many thanks for the complement cbrian4. been RC modelling for a few years but this is the first heli, a little concerned how I may have voided my warranty - no wires were cut or spiced - or is it just because it's mounted upside down underneath? Kind regards Andrew
aharmsworth is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2009, 10:48 AM   #132 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by aharmsworth View Post
Many thanks for the complement cbrian4. been RC modelling for a few years but this is the first heli, a little concerned how I may have voided my warranty - no wires were cut or spiced - or is it just because it's mounted upside down underneath? Kind regards Andrew
Because you put zip ties over it. Someone noticed this a while back - was posted in another thread. I personally don't think it hurts anything unless they are too tight.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:56 PM   #133 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah on my box there was a sticker saying to use sticky foam and that the use of zip ties would void the warranty. If i didn't have an extra piece of foam from my gyro i probably would have used zip ties anyway.
cbrian4 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2009, 08:20 PM   #134 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looking forward to bob's flight test. Those are the best, way better than youtube, like the comments he makes on the helis he builds.
srhadden is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2009, 02:01 PM   #135 (permalink)
Registered Users

TIC TOC DOC you have 3 days to post the next videos.......
Old 02-01-2009, 08:51 PM   #136 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleafs View Post
TIC TOC DOC you have 3 days to post the next videos.......
or else...?
Airjunkie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2009, 09:09 PM   #137 (permalink)
Registered Users

ill fly down there and do it for him....
Old 02-01-2009, 10:14 PM   #138 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Damn Canadian's..... Demanding suckers aren't they?
I guess if you live in a freakin frozen wonderland, you get that way

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2009, 12:03 AM   #139 (permalink)

haha yeah those snow birds get that way after a while of waiting for trex 250 build vids lol
Evan T. is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2009, 12:20 AM   #140 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Some people just get loopy as heck

Actually he's a really cool guy - freezing his butt off

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in