Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Skookum Robotics

Skookum Robotics Skookum Robotics SK-360 SK-540 & SK-720 Digital Flybar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2012, 02:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New users, SK gov mode ..... READ!!

=] hi, to use the SK gov mode means that certain prerequisites are met and understood, initially the SK unit needs a phase sensor fitted as outlined here =

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=296946

from here the SK gov wizz is used to setup the handset =

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=358016

to understand what is required at spool up follow the above diagram, on start up the ESC is in control (black) as we approach 1/4 stick the SK is looking for it's cue to takeover / engage with RPM1 (red, normal)

if this is rushed the gov cannot lock in properly and will produce poor RPM performance, the method needed is to open the throttle smoothly to half stick (zero pitch) and hold it there momentarily, the RPM's will overshoot and return to the RPM1 setting, there is a noticeable "dip" as this happens.

idle up 1 / 2 are instantaneous when the gov is engaged, hope this helps??!

georgi UK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2012, 09:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Georgie,
Is I recommended to try this with a Kontronik Heli Jive?
My understanding is the Heli Jive has a non adjustable 2 second interval from startup to handover
I'm not going to try this but would love to know if these 2 components can work together
After a successful first problem free "flight" yesterday I'll happily use the Jive internal gov for now
However, as my collection of SK controlled helis grows I do want to experience the Sk gov.
I may have to chose a diff brand ESC to do so????
TT E-620 SE x 2: Scorpion 4025-740 200srx, nano qx JR Parkmites x 2
Jamesppp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2012, 11:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thread Starter Thread Starter

=] James hi, it uses a unique timing protocol external gov mode, they worked closely with Mikado / Mr. Mel to perfect this.

I would think the SK needs a firmware to support this, as the v-bar did....

Old 06-28-2012, 06:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Does any of this matter if not using an electric model? Considering trying out an SK540 on a Whiplash gasser. Are there any special governor issues to be mindful of for that application? I will be using a stator gator for rpm pickup with a Zenoah engine.

- Josh
Old 06-28-2012, 07:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasick78 View Post
Does any of this matter if not using an electric model? Considering trying out an SK540 on a Whiplash gasser. Are there any special governor issues to be mindful of for that application? I will be using a stator gator for rpm pickup with a Zenoah engine.

- Josh
Dont know how much the SK gov will like gassers, it does not have as many tune-able parameters as the VBar does for example, AFAIK the throttle on them is quite non-linear (compared to nitro) so the SK may have trouble there.
-Goblin 500, HC3SX, Hyp DH16/MKS980BL, Scorp 4015-1100
desertstalker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2012, 11:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've had no problem with the gov on my cgy750 other than a slight overspeed which I just haven't dialed down yet.

Are you saying you're just not sure, or you think it will be a problem?

An rpm sensor sends a standard signal regardless of the engine and the gov should function to regulate the rpm based on that signal and based on the overall rpm as long as the gear ratio is properly identified, no?

If its going to be a problem I won't even open the box and I'll just return it while I still can.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I called and spoke with Brandon and he said there should be know issue. The functionality of the gov for nitro vs gasoline engine should be any different.

=)

Josh
Old 07-02-2012, 12:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

So I installed the unit yesterday. Hookup was a breeze. Setup was a breeze. Running the model, on the other hand... Not so much.

Everything (all servos and the gyro itself) got too hot to even touch. Flashing red light also. Not sure what's up with the governor, but the throttle was revving up and down constantly (never happens on my cgy750).

I removed the whole thing from my model to inspect and as I picked it up in my hand I could hear something shaking around in there. Then, one of the machine screws fell out of the unit and right into my hand. Maybe its a nut on the inside where the screw goes in???

I don't know, but I only got two flights on this thing. Both were terrible. Will be calling Skookum as soon as they open to send this thing back in for warranty.

Bolted up my CGY750 again, ran some new settings and it's working quite well now. I only bought the 540 because of how laborious it has been to adjust the 750.

I hope I just got a defective unit or something. I'd love to try it again.

- Josh
Old 07-02-2012, 12:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

=] Josh, there is no nut? request SK x-ship another unit to you....

Old 07-02-2012, 01:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

To quickly add:

All Castle ICE controllers:

You will need a HobbyWing digital phase sensor and Beta firmware 4.01.

Set the ESC to Airplane mode with fixed endpoints, and a custom response time of 10.

It works on Skookum pretty much identical to the VBar setups that get talked about a lot more.

I wont get into Gear ratios, I'm sure Georgi can repost his easy to understand info from other threads.

The ESC will not have a soft start, but the SK ramp quickly takes over after the initial (but short) burst of ESC power when you open your throttle. The burst seems to depend on how long your motor takes to start and the SK-720 getting an RPM signal out of it.

I have not found any flaws with this setup so far on my 450.

spikestabber is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2012, 02:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've sent an email with no response.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Still no answer on the phone and no response to my email....
Old 07-02-2012, 02:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Holiday in Canada... Hopefully get a response tomorrow.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:22 PM   #14 (permalink)

=] +1

Old 07-02-2012, 10:38 PM   #15 (permalink)

Ok, I'm obviously in the minority here as a nitro user...but this gov is completely backassward for nitro. Is it too much to ask for a nitro gov update that is up to industry standards? ...one that is flight mode switchable via aux channel and none of this throttle curve junk? Patiently waited through faulty usb ports..cracked cases..low vib tolerances..promised gps. please can we nitro guys at least get a serviceable gov? please.....
InvertedCNC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 11:09 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have some question here.
At my rc club there is some heli using vbar gov, and i read that somebody here tell me that sk gov is awesome like the vbar one.
But i setup it to my 450, i cant feel happy with it, mine is not good as my friend heli, gov is too low. But if i increase the gov gain, tail is wag, yes i stick at small heli already. But why my heli is too bad? We using the same Align esc, same motor and same battery or sensor. So i think SK gov is not good like Vbar.
When I increase the gov gain, from 32 to 44, my heli is better, like the vbar but tail wag alot. Tried to low the rate gain to 40 or 50 but cant help. I think may be the throtle response rate of Align esc is not compatible with SK gov throtle command? Any ideas?
Sorry about my bad english, if you see my word is impolite, pls forgive me
Laos_pilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2012, 08:43 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes the SK540 gov. is awesome..
I had a similar problem when i turned the gov on, and it it was a slight binding with one of the tail grip links.. Resized and tail is perfect..

You maybe running the same heli and equipment but have you checked the mechanical setup of the heli? Checked for binding in the tail mechanics, sloppy links, slop in servo?
Mechanical issues will get highlighted more with the rapid, subtle rpm changes that the gov. does...
If you are running plastic tail blades change to C/F as plastic ones will flex too much causing the tail gyro to wag with the rpm changes..
Geffect is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2012, 01:37 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default CC gov mode

Hi. Please pardon my ignorance, but why is the skookum governor mode recommended over the CC Ice governor?

Currently, I use the SK720 without using its governor mode. I use the fixed speed governor in my CC Ice.
It seems to work ok, but as most heli pilots out there I'd like to take advantage of using the best set up as possible plus I love to tweak with things just for the thrill of learning something new.
ckindt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2012, 02:13 PM   #19 (permalink)

=] hi, the SK is gov is proactive which means it knows what's coming in advance and adjusts accordingly, the CC is reactive so it needs to see things when its too late before it can respond.

in addition the SK uses "pitch management" to control the headspeed when bogging is detected, so yes its superior and has bits to tweak!!

Old 07-05-2012, 06:34 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

hi all you guy
I was wonder is it tail mechanic fail or not? And I try to use the disable gov in tail bank 2.
Everytime I switch to tail bank 2, gov is deactived, and my tail is rock solid. So I start to think that is not a tail mechanic problem.
I am using the plastic tail blade now, KBDD, my be I switch to RJX carbon one. And still think that Align ESC's throttle response is not quick enought to run governor smoothly, but hard to find someone who sale Hobbywing in Laos. Do you think like me??
Laos_pilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in