Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Gryphon Electronics

Gryphon Electronics Gryphon Electronics Factory Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2014, 12:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Question Power down problem with Pin Flag

Ok so I have a serious problem, I don't think it has anything to do with my Gryphon, but I posted here because many here may have my same setup.

Trex 600 Pro with Castle 120HV set RPM, VBar mini, Gryphon 7075 with the pin Flag. 12S 3300mah packs. Scorpion motor. Spectrum DX8, Think that's all you need

The problem is when powering down, I land the heli and put the pin flag in. The heli should power down. But every now and then the Motor will power up. TX on hold and throttle full down, and in normal (on normal I have the throttle curve 0,20,30,30,30)

for the first few months I would power up the heli with the pin flag in, the ESC would count the cells but not inisiate. I would set out the heli and pull the pin flag, the heli would power up all. Then take off and fly. land and reinsert the pin flag and the Vbar would power down but the ESC still is connected to the battery, but never spooled up on me.

Then this Saturday, when landing I put the pin flag in and the motor started up, I pulled the pin back out real quick and the motor stopped. Next flight I was real careful but I did not spool up and work correctly the rest of the day. Then I went for a few early morning flights today and on the second pack, it did it again.

Help!! I cant trust this setup any longer.
JTAnimal is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2014, 08:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had the same thing happen a few times JT. I would plug the pin flag back in, and it wouldn't really spool up like normal, but the main rotor would start to spin really slowly. Scared the crap out of me!

I did a re bind with negative TH on and the issue stopped. It's as if plugging the flag back in was killing my FBL unit and triggering a fail safe action. I had my Skookum fail safe set to zero throttle if signal was lost and had tested this by turning off the TX while the heli was still powered and it worked as expected, but this action kills the FBL unit in addition to the sats which is different, so the rebind sets the Spek gear fail safe if the sats shut down, and this did the trick.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thanks, this is kind what I was thinking. I used Skookum at one point and it had a fail safe, but I quit using Skookum and went to VBar and they don't have a fail safe, that I know of anyway.. I will give that a try, but let me clarify so I want to rebind the sat's with TH set below 0??

Thanks for the help, Ya scared the crap out of me
Old 08-21-2014, 06:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTAnimal View Post
Thanks, this is kind what I was thinking. I used Skookum at one point and it had a fail safe, but I quit using Skookum and went to VBar and they don't have a fail safe, that I know of anyway.. I will give that a try, but let me clarify so I want to rebind the sat's with TH set below 0??

Thanks for the help, Ya scared the crap out of me
Yes, just rebind with a throttle value below zero just to make sure there is no throttle signal coming out, and see if it helps.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I will try this weekend. Did your go away, never to come back? It sound just like the same thing that mine is doing, a slow spool up.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, my problem stopped after the rebind. There was another member several months ago that was having the exact same issue, but he was using a direct lipo, and his would do the same thing when he unplugged the pack. I suggested the same thing and his issue was solved as well.

The main flight batteries have the ESC and motor live, but we are killing the power to the FBL unit and sats which triggers a fail safe. The problem is Spek gear uses whatever throttle position it sees when you bind as a failsafe position if the sats lose power. We always bind our FBL units to our TX before any ESC calibration is done, so when you calibrate the Castle, you shift the end points from where you originally bound, and so things aren't quite the same anymore.

Re binding in TH re teaches the Spek gear the new calibrated low throttle setting, so it should stop the behavior.
Should be easy enough to bench test without blades many times just to see if it has really stopped.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Ok that make sense to me. I agree and understand what you are saying. I will get it rebound and do some testing this weekend.

Thanks man, you saved my life
Old 08-22-2014, 08:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTAnimal View Post
Ok that make sense to me. I agree and understand what you are saying. I will get it rebound and do some testing this weekend.

Thanks man, you saved my life
As my Mother use to say to me, lets not count our chickens before they hatch. Im hoping this solves your issue, but the proof will soon come.

Good luck
Old 08-24-2014, 04:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Any news JT? were you able to see if a rebind made any real difference for you?
Old 08-25-2014, 05:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

No I ran into a problem at work I couldn't play this weekend. Thanks for asking.. I will send you a PM when I get it done. I'm sure your correct, it made sence
Old 08-25-2014, 05:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cool! I just don't want to continue spreading misinformation to others in the future if it doesn't solve your problem, but I'm hoping for the result you are after.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in