Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Batteries and Charging Support > Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2012, 10:58 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHANTMXR6 View Post
Correct, but I wouldn't call a 1420 a high output charger.
Something capable of 1000w+ is what I'd call high powered.
Compared to my FMA, it *is* high powered ;-)
matthewcornell is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2012, 11:18 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixmaster Pilot View Post
To really take advantage of high power chargers you can charge many packs in parellel and really amp up the power while still only charging each individual pack at 2C
I got the parallel "squid" harnesses this week and used them to charge four in parallel - works great!
Old 08-17-2012, 11:24 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default charging ports: selectable?

I feel like I've wrapped my head around the charger, and I'm really enjoying charging in parallel (the harnesses from http://progressiverc.com/ arrived this week). Question: I have both JST-XH and TP batteries, and I'd like to connect the two different adapter boards to each port ("A" and "B") and select the appropriate one in the different memory locations, but I don't see how to do it. Is this possible? I found a menu that let me select a port ("1" or "2"), but when I selected 2 it went back to 1. Thanks!
Old 02-24-2013, 05:09 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronjunkie View Post
Dude this charger is awesome. I bought one 2 months ago and I love it. It tells you the internal resistance, voltage on each cell, etc.
Do you mind telling me briefly how you measure the IR?
Old 02-24-2013, 07:01 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It shows it under the data screen while you are charging. It takes it a few minutes if you just started charging. It must be done while it is charging. Sorry if this sounds redundant.

Dead heli's flying: Compass 7HVU, 6HVU, Atom 5.5
RIP Compass
electronjunkie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 07:07 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronjunkie View Post
It shows it under the data screen while you are charging. It takes it a few minutes if you just started charging. It must be done while it is charging. Sorry if this sounds redundant.
Thanks! I won't be able to get out for a few days (at least). Is it dumb to use the charger to discharge and then recharge just to get a resistance reading?
Old 02-24-2013, 07:28 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewcornell View Post
Thanks! I won't be able to get out for a few days (at least). Is it dumb to use the charger to discharge and then recharge just to get a resistance reading?
It's fine. It may do it for discharge too. I have not tried.

It is a bad idea to leave LiPo's charged. Supposedly it hurts their life span if they stay charged for many days or several weeks.

RIP Compass
Old 02-25-2013, 09:14 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have used the Hyperion Duo3 charger for years-- I think it is an awesome unit. I hook mine up to a 15v/23A power supply, and charge eight lipos in // (four off each port), using the Progressive // leads and balance taps. I've tried the balance boards but much prefer the leads/taps.

When I'm done flying or boating, I recharge all of my packs using "STORE" mode. That way, when it is time to fly/boat again, my charge time for 8 packs at 1C is about 30min...nice...

For kicks I took my packs which I have been // charging for nearly a year and checked them all independently for balance-- they were all spot on.

Chief
BHChieftain is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 09:34 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've had one of these chargers for almost a year, and it works well. I also have a FMA Powerlab 8 that is great. I did have a FMA cell pro 10, but I smoked it when I hooked it up to the 24V PS instead of the 12V one. When I replaced the cell pro 10s I wanted a charger that could handle a 24V PS. The 1420 does and has a reasonably high wattage output. It was also the least expensive 24V 500W charger I could find.
Wahoo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 10:28 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a Hyperion..good charger

Yes, you need to set it up

Setup is easier with the computer interface, but still a bit of a pain

Once set up, it works really well

No, you did not screw up
Old 02-25-2013, 10:40 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

My only 'big' mistake when buying this setup was not understanding that the Hyperion needs 24v to enable the full 500W power. I have a 12v server PS, and I can't get past 2C on my four 6S batts. Oh well, the PS was $50, and I can always upgrade if it bothers me. FYI
Old 02-27-2013, 01:41 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

You are right that it is your power supply. Even though 1420i is a 500W charger, it is cap at 20A charging so it is better to have a 24V PS.

I use my 1420i for more than 2 years now. It has been serving me flawlessly. I connect one 1420i and one 730i into a 24V/50A power supply. Both charge my Hyperion 6S/5000mAH packs in roughly 15 minutes at 20A so my 12S pack can be ready in 15 minutes.

I charge my packs only at the field and 15 minutes is good enough for me to take a rest between flights.

With the latest firmware, you can not only see the IR of your packs, but also can set the charger to stop at % from 95 to 100%. I set mine to 98%. Store charge can be set to 50% which equivalent to 3.83V per cell in my pack. Most of the time that it hits 98%, the cells are balanced.
Chris.C is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 09:36 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks so much for the info. Question: what exactly is the internal resistance measuring? I'm guessing for the whole pack, which would mean I need to divide for the cell count. But if I'm charging in parallel? Also, what power supply are you using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris.C View Post
You are right that it is your power supply. Even though 1420i is a 500W charger, it is cap at 20A charging so it is better to have a 24V PS.

I use my 1420i for more than 2 years now. It has been serving me flawlessly. I connect one 1420i and one 730i into a 24V/50A power supply. Both charge my Hyperion 6S/5000mAH packs in15 minutes at 20A so my 12S pack can be ready in 15 minutes.

I charge my packs only at the field and 15 minutes is good enough for me to take a rest between flights.

With the latest firmware, you can not only see the IR of your packs, but also can set the charger to stop at % from 95 to 100%. I set mine to 98%. Store charge can be set to 50% which equivalent to 3.83V per cell in my pack. Most of the time that it hits 98%, the cells are balanced.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:43 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I know you weren't talking to me but... internal resistance is the equivalent internal resistance of the batteries in series with the (open circuit) theoretically infinite amperage voltage.

If you short a hypothetical (college for pretend) battery out then a current of 100 amps (made up value) flows through the wire (assume 0.1 ohm wire resistance for simplicity). If the battery originally measured 12.1 volts open circuit AKA with a multi-meter then the internal resistance of the battery is: Resistance in ohms = Voltage/Current or 0.121 ohms Then we subtract the resistance of the wire of 0.1 ohms to get 21 milliohms

BTW that means your battery is probably ok

The real way IR is calculated is Vo-Vc/Io-Ic or when they are charging they measure voltage and current and when they are not charging they measure again and get the IR that way.

The above info may contain inaccurate information or pure fiction but I think it is about right so I am hitting submit.

Quote:
Thanks so much for the info. Question: what exactly is the internal resistance measuring? I'm guessing for the whole pack, which would mean I need to divide for the cell count. But if I'm charging in parallel? Also, what power supply are you using?

RIP Compass
Old 02-28-2013, 03:23 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think the IR has been explained. For me, it is a nice to have feature for the charger to show the IR. My 1420 shows the IR for each cell in the pack. I just look at it once in a while. If the IR of all the cells are close then it should be fine but more important to get the cells balanced, I think.

I use efuel power supply. Although it says 60A output, it is 50A actually without trigger a fault. Good enough for me.
Click image for larger version

Name:	efuel.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	398775
Chris.C is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 11:03 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
My only 'big' mistake when buying this setup was not understanding that the Hyperion needs 24v to enable the full 500W power. I have a 12v server PS, and I can't get past 2C on my four 6S batts. Oh well, the PS was $50, and I can always upgrade if it bothers me. FYI
Make sure under user setup that you have selected more than a 2C charge rate. Pick something like 6C. If you don't increase this in the User Setup, you will be limited on all batteries for the max C rate that you have set. You will be unable to increase this more than the 2C. This is a safety feature.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:15 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris.C View Post

I use my 1420i for more than 2 years now. It has been serving me flawlessly. I connect one 1420i and one 730i into a 24V/50A power supply. Both charge my Hyperion 6S/5000mAH packs in roughly 15 minutes at 20A so my 12S pack can be ready in 15 minutes.

I just went into the user setup menu for my 1420i and increased the 20A max setting for the power supply to 50A setting (my power supply can handle 100's of amps). I can now charge my 6S 3000 packs off of 12V at a little over 2C (I don't like going much higher than 2C).

I usually have 24V available from my deep cycles but this is nice to have if I don't have my truck.

RIP Compass
Old 03-01-2013, 07:36 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearclaw View Post
Make sure under user setup that you have selected more than a 2C charge rate. Pick something like 6C. If you don't increase this in the User Setup, you will be limited on all batteries for the max C rate that you have set. You will be unable to increase this more than the 2C. This is a safety feature.
Thanks. Yes, I had done this, but the unit is ultimately limited by the input voltage.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in