Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > KDS Helicopters General Discussion

KDS Helicopters General Discussion KDS Helicopters General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2014, 10:30 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default TT

The alcohol trick is the best way to do it once they are in place they don't budge !!! I use that for all my TT assemblies and I have never had a problem .
beetlespin8 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2015, 07:25 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'd rather jack off with sand paper than squeeze that damn tt in the boom.
snafu9241 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2015, 12:28 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm having the same problem trying to jam the torque tube with the bearings into the boom. Is there a legitimate reason the fitment is so tight or is it crappy engineering/manufacturing? I tried both the alcohol and astro-glide trick last night, but still couldn't get the damn thing in there! Tonight I'll try the dremel tool trick from GimpyGolden to sand down some of the rubber damper. Would it kill them to make the damper easier to install (i.e. smaller)??
Old 03-20-2015, 08:17 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I just did the TT on my 7.2 and they're snug too. This time I did no sanding but used my trusty MolyKote 33 and once I got the Damper in the boom it slid home no problem.

Love this stuff, good for gears, spindles and now installing TT dampers.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ds=molykote+33
Old 03-23-2015, 08:21 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ive fought with this myself, Ive tryed many ways on how to get the TT in the boom...so i find this works for me...

I epoxy the bearing on and let them set for awhile after that i reach for the TRI-FLOW give the boom a lube job then i lube up the dampers, now on both sides of the damper their are ridges that are a lil more bigger then the boom it self so lube up the dampers and get the first ridge in and with you thumbs push the 2nd ridge down and in, do the same thing with the other two dampers works every time and its clean they wont get pushed off the bearing...good old TRI-FLOW
Old 03-23-2015, 10:56 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

I finally got it, but dang......can't they design a better part? This was disappointing on a kit so expensive, and touted to be such high quality. Never the less, I'm still looking forward to flying it.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:35 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

I used some silicone oil, alot of swearing and quite alot of shoving to get the 3 bearings into my TT without the rubber slipping off the bearings. It took me a good 5 hours and left my hands bruised
Old 03-31-2015, 04:02 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Really, 5Hrs?
I did my 5.5 yesterday with the MolyKote 33 and got both bearings in on the first try.
And I'm a cripple. Didn't sand the rubbers down or anything.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:37 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimpyGolden View Post
Really, 5Hrs?
I did my 5.5 yesterday with the MolyKote 33 and got both bearings in on the first try.
And I'm a cripple. Didn't sand the rubbers down or anything.
Lmfao. "I'm a cripple"? I don't know your story, but your comment made me picture the "my germs" guy from scary movie trying to install this TT

which is a pain in the arse! I got my 7.2 and it had a weird vibe. Tore down the tail and I found that the rubbers had halfway slid off when he installed the boom. I pulled it all, soaked the rubbers with silicone oil, then swabbed the boom. Slowly, carefully and evenly applied pressure until they all slid into the boom and then just pushed the TT where it needed to be. No real drama, 10 minutes maybe. I mean, they were pretty tight but they weren't impossible to fit
jmtyndall is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2015, 11:32 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

yes 5 hours, my agile 5.5 took me 5 minutes. not the 7.2 though.. the 3 stupid bearings kept taking turns having their rubber sleeves pop out while pushing them in real slow.. Then a friend ripped one of them and i had to wait a couple of hours for spares. What i've learnt from it : don't listen to everything everyone says and lube only the outside of the rubber.. if it gets into the inside its just gonna keep slipping off the bearing everytime you push it in.

And to note the difference between the 5.5 and 7.2 - that one extra bearing really does give you a hell of a time. Try it, you'll know what i mean.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:36 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtyndall View Post
Lmfao. "I'm a cripple"? I don't know your story, but your comment made me picture the "my germs" guy from scary movie trying to install this TT

which is a pain in the arse! I got my 7.2 and it had a weird vibe. Tore down the tail and I found that the rubbers had halfway slid off when he installed the boom. I pulled it all, soaked the rubbers with silicone oil, then swabbed the boom. Slowly, carefully and evenly applied pressure until they all slid into the boom and then just pushed the TT where it needed to be. No real drama, 10 minutes maybe. I mean, they were pretty tight but they weren't impossible to fit
Yup cripple, not that guy but anyways... My story C6 Quadriplegic, see this thread
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=561993
Agree,little lube on the rubbers and some in the end of the boom and you'll get er in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeniethLily View Post
yes 5 hours, my agile 5.5 took me 5 minutes. not the 7.2 though.. the 3 stupid bearings kept taking turns having their rubber sleeves pop out while pushing them in real slow.. Then a friend ripped one of them and i had to wait a couple of hours for spares. What i've learnt from it : don't listen to everything everyone says and lube only the outside of the rubber.. if it gets into the inside its just gonna keep slipping off the bearing everytime you push it in.

And to note the difference between the 5.5 and 7.2 - that one extra bearing really does give you a hell of a time. Try it, you'll know what i mean.
I did my 7.2 a few weeks ago as well. I did have the rubber pop off twice doing it but after switching to the light grease it was much easier. Just have to work the damper in even then slide it home once it is seated in the end of the boom.

Next time maybe try a light grease and also grease the end of the boom fingers length in at least. I hope you get a method down that works for you cause that sounds pretty frustrating.

Hmmmm maybe a good topic for a Team Tip vid... I'll get on that soon.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:49 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

I found that greasing the inside of the tube down and the edges of the rubbers helped most, just avoid having any lubricant getting into the inside where the rubber sits into the bearing. As for pushing it in, you'll have to apply even pressure as you nudge the bearings into the tube .. slowly. I was rushing it and kept popping the rubber out of the bearings... lesson learnt.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:55 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am thinking about getting me a kit but is it not only to get a wood stick just thinner then the ID of the boom and push them in ?

The you should get even preasure on the sleeves and no preasure on the bearings.

Btw i love how the MD Helis have pre mounted all bearings in the booms, had been great if more providers did that.
rfauske is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2015, 07:52 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You could do that I am sure but manual specifies epoxying the bearings to the shaft.
Could be the only reason for that is to facilitate installation.

Next time I build one up I'll try your suggested method and see if there are and 'side effects'. Hopefully it isn't for a while cause that'll mean I dumped it
Maybe I'll take one for the team, buy the bit's and build up a spare boom w/ TT ready to go. Not like I'll never need it.
Old 04-19-2015, 10:02 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

I take the tube the torque tube plastic case that it comes in, I have marked at the three distances put a little lube on the rubber bearing mounts fit them in the boom by hand first then slide them down with the tube to the marks on it. then slide torque tube in glue ends and pin in and your done. this was the suggestion of one of our team members and did 4 booms like that this week. I have also done that in the past on other helis.
Spin blades field rep
Jesse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2015, 10:49 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just bevel the inside edge of the boom and lube boom and bearing holders with silicone grease. Bearing slide in perfect.
UPSDOC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in