Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2008, 12:07 AM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

so how long has this heli been out, and is it worth getting? i'm still reading threw the posts about it, but would like to know what everyone thinks about it. i'm searching for a good economical big heli. the trex 600, or is it the 500 (the electric one) is not for me. way too much for a battery, but the hurricane 550 i can deal with. seeing it uses 2 trex 450 batteries i can deal with it.

i take it bigger flies better in helis like it does in planks?
cx2, mcx, T Rex 450 SA, GAUI 550, walkera cb100, 4#6, 4#6S, 4g6S, trex 450 clone, V911/FP100, DX7, DX8
never hold your farts in. they travel up your spine, and that's where s****y ideas come from.
shaggybirdman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2008, 12:27 AM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yes bigger flies better...way better compared to my TRex450. The Hurricane is still a farely new heli and there are a few problems, at least that I've seen. If you're gonna get it, get the CF kit with the metal head. This is the newest and most improved version. Secondly, the two trex lipos don't last very long. I'm getting about 3.5 minutes of flight time from my 2200 Lightning Power(aka Kong Power, Air Thunder) lipos. I'm running 2000 headspeed with an RCP 1100kV motor. Many Hurri flyers run two 3300 Flight Power packs and that greatly improves the flight time. Another aproach is to go with A123 batts. You could probably get longer flight times with the stock 850kV motor, but it's very sluggish. The GAUI ESCs need work too. I'm using the 50A GAUI and there are only three settings on it and I don't like that. Don't get me wrong if it seems I'm being critical of the Hurricane, I love mine, but you will need more than the stock setup to get it at it's full potential.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:31 AM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default What i know (which isn't much)

I ordered my hurricain 550 and it's coming all the way for Hong Kong. 8 weeks I hafta wait when I could've just went to the hobby store 8 blocks away and have a trex 600E right now. Plus it would be easy to get parts instead of having to order everything so really really think about it. i haven't flown ether of them yet, saw some really cool videos and went with the 550 because of the money thing but now i kinda wish I woulda shelled out a few more bucks for the t-rex. Ask Finless Bob he would know.

End of Line,
Hawk
Hawk18052 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2008, 08:21 AM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Hurricane is a fine heli. It is not a super high end heli, but it doesn't cost like one either.

The early kits had some problems, that they worked out.

I agree that the CF/CNC version is much better, but the all plastic does fly reasonably well.

You can fly it on a pair of $50 - $80 Trex packs, or move up to 3200 - 3300 packs. But still the packs are a LOT less expensive than Trex 600 packs. Mine flies nicely on 2 x 3S 3200 Hextronics packs from Hobby City ($50 each). Trex 600 needs $250 - $300 per pack batteries.

Check out the Gaui Hurricane 550 section here on HF.

And Hawk18052, several of us tried to tell you to order from one of the good US dealers. You would have gotten your heli in 2 - 3 days.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Blade CP "Pro", Trex 450SE, PiccoZ, Quick of Japan EP8v2 EX, Hurricane 550, Hurricane 200, JR Vibe 50, Blade mCX, Bergen Intrepid Gasser, Pantera 50, Blade mSR, Novus CP
Pinecone is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2008, 08:42 AM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default USA Dealer

You know how this addiction is, I was gonna wait till I got my first Heli magazine and so on, was gonna wait and wait but kept searching online line. One thing led to another and suddenly I waz ordering, Wish like heck I would've found helifreak first but it's to late now. If I could go back in time I'd order the carbon fiber 550 pro kit and put it together myself, had know idea someone was nice enough to rip one apart on video - you know what the lame instructions are like that come with these things. I might have even got a T-rex 600 or waited for the 700. Ordered 2 new canopys from 2 different US dealers to keep me busy painting till I get the Heli.

End of Line,
Hawk
Old 03-22-2008, 10:06 AM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

so what's out there besides the hurricane 550, and the trex 500, and 600 that won't break the bank for the kit, and batteries? i want a bigger heli for my next bird. the hurricane is still the fore runner, but are there any other options out there?
cx2, mcx, T Rex 450 SA, GAUI 550, walkera cb100, 4#6, 4#6S, 4g6S, trex 450 clone, V911/FP100, DX7, DX8
never hold your farts in. they travel up your spine, and that's where s****y ideas come from.
Old 03-22-2008, 04:35 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default IRCHA

Watch these and decide, This is what got me to by a Hurricane 550 instead of a T-rex 600. But very importaint, whatever you decide do not go with the "ready to fly" crap. watch Finless Bobs videos and you'll see why.

http://www.runryder.net/helicopter/r...ies/IRCHA2005/

End of Line,

Hawk
Old 03-22-2008, 07:06 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

IMO the Hurricane is still the best heli for the price and it's larger than many heli's above the Trex 450 size. Other helis are the HDX 500/550 and the Hirobo Lepton. There are really many heli's to choose from at around the same size as the Hurricane, but like I said you can't really beat the value of the Hurricane, plus the fact that I haven't seen a company out there that has been busting out upgrades and fixes the way GAUI has.

BTW I'm still using the plastic frame and some plastic parts in the head. Only CNC I have are the anti-rotation bracket, flybar cage and elevator arm. Metal grips and a better ESC will be the next upgrade and she should fly better, although she flies great now. I'm not trying to steer anyone away from the Hurricane, just telling you what to expect when/if you get one.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:05 PM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

Another choice is the Quick of Japan EP8. www.helicopterhobbies.com

Flies nicely on 52 2100.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Blade CP "Pro", Trex 450SE, PiccoZ, Quick of Japan EP8v2 EX, Hurricane 550, Hurricane 200, JR Vibe 50, Blade mCX, Bergen Intrepid Gasser, Pantera 50, Blade mSR, Novus CP
Pinecone is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2008, 03:39 AM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinS819 View Post
IMO the Hurricane is still the best heli for the price and it's larger than many heli's above the Trex 450 size. Other helis are the HDX 500/550 and the Hirobo Lepton. There are really many heli's to choose from at around the same size as the Hurricane, but like I said you can't really beat the value of the Hurricane, plus the fact that I haven't seen a company out there that has been busting out upgrades and fixes the way GAUI has.

BTW I'm still using the plastic frame and some plastic parts in the head. Only CNC I have are the anti-rotation bracket, flybar cage and elevator arm. Metal grips and a better ESC will be the next upgrade and she should fly better, although she flies great now. I'm not trying to steer anyone away from the Hurricane, just telling you what to expect when/if you get one.
what you using for batteries, and how long do you get to fly with them. i've herd of only 3.5 to 4 min flights. that's the problem with the big electric helis. flight time. i'm leaning towards the hurricane 550 though. i like the 2 3c pack configuration.

how much do you have into it so far as stated above? i'll be honest though. i may jump into a 50 size nitro bird next. just got my trex running, and have a 30 size shuttle just waiting for warmer weather.

more pros, and cons on the hurricane would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:52 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well for my setup, I've really just spent $$$ on the lipos, Lightning Power 2200mAah 25C lipos. I had the 401 from my Trex and my friend pitched in and gave me his DS821 servos. I did buy the Trex 600 boom and misc parts for that to fit for maybe $40 total, but the same friend donated his 600 plastic tail system to me. I've been really lucky to have bought a great ARF (used) Hurricane and having great friends. I think i've only spent $315 for the used heli with a bunch of upgrades and spares already, and about $120 for lipos and the tail system total. This setup from the ground up might cost I'm guessing $700-$800 dollars with the big components being the heli and the radio system, which is very cheap considering I've spent well over $1500 on my Trex 450! Of course, the CF and CNC version will cost more, that might bring you to the $900-$1100 mark, but still for a complete .30 size heli system it's not too bad...and cheaper still if you already have a radio system.

Yes with my RCP1100kV motor I'm only getting 3.5-4 minutes of flight time, but I'm planning on going to A123s and 3300+ lipos later on. Also, I'll have even more battery options if I get the upgraded frame from readyheli. I don't mind the flight time right now, but the ESC does need to be better. Can't get past 2000 headspeed from my setup due to the 50A ESC(I'm geared for 2200 BTW). I'm planning to get a Scorpion motor and ESC in though which should improve everything, but that's mostly bling, it runs ok right now.

The great thing with the Hurri is you have a ton of options. Depending on your flying style you can set it up from mild to wild and get a bunch of hop-ups and it'll still cost less than most extreme helis, like the Trex 500 or Logo 5003D. I think the main cons are the lipos. If you want the Tim Taylor "More Power!" heli, you're gonna want to get a higher cappacity lipo(s).
Old 03-26-2008, 11:40 PM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Yep

Next on my list to buy, when I get money again. I like on the Ircha videos that Justin and his dad who was nice enough to say "well we are flying the hurricane 550 with rototek 515 blades and 6s3300's" so now I know what I want. just don't know what to do with the stuff that acutally comes with my heli. Should have just bought a kit.

L8r,
Hawk
Old 03-27-2008, 12:07 AM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

would this be a good scale bird? is it really a 30 size? the flight time really bothers me though. plus i don't want to break the bank on my next heli. it is still in the running though. it the 600 a electric heli as well, or a nitro bird. what's the starting cost of a trex 500, and 600? run times for both as well if you know.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:37 AM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default You should know by now

I've seen your post and know you have bin here for awhile. Got my Hurricane550 Canopy (well actually 2) and it's big enough that I could wear it as a shoe. I put in front of my CX2 and you couldn't even see it. I'm pretty sure, with the right setup, you could put toast on your cat and fly it all over the place. Also go my night flying blades and they are as long as my arm, I think you could haul 2 cats with toast around.

Hawk
Old 03-27-2008, 02:10 AM   #55 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

You guys should be really posting this stuff in the Hurricane 500 forum! Posting here is more to do with asking questions about my videos NOT sharing info about the heli. That's what the hurricane forum is for! Not all hurri users come here to see people talk about the heli.... In the hurri forum other can see what your talking about and contribute.

Thanks,
Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2008, 08:05 AM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Sorry

I got all your videos and plan to follow them. You are very good at this and I don't want to get you mad. I got carried away.

sorry again,
Hawk
Old 03-27-2008, 10:05 AM   #57 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Not getting mad just suggesting that posting this in the hurri forum would be a better place so others that dont come here can read them and participate

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2008, 06:47 PM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

OK guys, sorry 'bout the hijack Bob. Here's a link to a new thread I started in the Hurri 550 forum in case you guys want to continue this conversation.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...571#post606571

Please post all future replies in this new thread.

Thanks,
-Marty

P.S.- Bob, did you catch my one reply for you on page 4(post #39)? Regarding your gyro/rudder final setup.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:53 PM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

oh man.. soooo sorry. i think i may have been the original hijacker. i'll shut up now, and goto the proper forum.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:35 AM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Head setup

First I want to thank you Finless Bob for all the great videos. They realy got I newbee like me to understand CCPM, head setup and all the other stuff .
So I went and got myself a Hurry550 and a DX7, great heli. And then to my question, you mention in the headsetup video that the mixing arm on the bladegrip should be paralell to the swash and 90 to the mainshaft. But I have read on other forums that this is wrong. The Extreme 50 has a similar head and in there manual they say that angle on the linkage rod from the swash and mixer arm should be 90. (see pic.) What is right, I did it as you said in the video and my pitch angle is the same in positive and negative.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	head.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	45210  
njensson is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in