Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Warp 360

Warp 360 Compass Warp 360 Model Helicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2013, 06:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Warp 360 Maiden Report

In short, WOW!! This is really a VERY smooth heli And it flies very well

I took my time to build this heli, went through all the threads here learning the common mistakes the past builders did...

I managed to have a successful maiden with almost zero issue... except for my tail acting strange in first pack, 3GX instruction mentioned setting the Delay for tail as small heli (red)... the tail was better when I changed it to Large heli (Green).

But I don't really like the way 3GX flies, I have already placed an order for SK540 My ZYX performs better!

I just did some piros and flips, don't wanna push the heli yet till my BEC and SK540 arrives.. I don't even have confidence going inverted with the 3GX on... lol The heli flipped very tight and nice Went back with a smile

The heli flew so well that am afraid of flying it again... untill I get my SK540 and BEC.. The last thing I want is for this beautiful heli to go crashing due to electronics failure... Am going to learn to be patient!

My setup:
DS92A+ and DS95i
Koby 40, Stock motor, Turnigy 1.3 lipos
3gx

I got my kit with the old motor can, I knew that from the strange sound it makes during spool up... Also the motor comes down hot... much warmer than my 3s 450 pro... is that normal?
My esc was cool though
Does anyone know how I can get the replacement can for free?

One thing that is still bothering me is that, when I try rotating the main blades manually on bench it doesn't really feel as smooth as how my 450 pro used to feel like... is that normal? Am quite sure my main belts are not tight
suthae is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2013, 06:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

had a 200+ flights with 3gx on this bird. as long as your bec is strong enough (3gx does not love voltage drops), it's fine with 3.0 firmware.
..but yeah, I'm already waiting for my SK540 as well

my scorpion gets somewhat hot as well, but like fresh-made-cup-of-tea hot, not burn-your-finger hot. was convinced it's completely fine, as I was also used to stone-cold 3s 450mx motor.

those turnigy lipos... I hope they're the 40c ones, otherwise you're flying on like 1/3rd of the power available. I'd consider better batteries anyway, it would be a shame to fly sk540+koby+mks combo with a second-grade power supply.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lol.. Got ya.... I also ahve a pair of Gens Ace 1200 which doesn't CG well... I am still looking for some good lipos

Am on 3gx 4.0... I just find it a little strange compared to the other gyros I have worked with

How does your Main blade rotates manually by hand on bench... Mine is not feeling as smooth as my 450 pro
Old 09-30-2013, 07:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

well if you mean like rotating whole head on the main shaft, then it's very smooth there. Blade itself in the grip.. it's pretty firm. I actually like Warp's grips better as those spacers do not allow much up/down action for the blade.

How does 1200 Gens don't COG..? I've got nose full of stuff (Gryphon Agena, Yge 60, separate receiver and 3gx), and it COG's fine with 1400 Gens - of course I move it all the way back in the tray.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah... I meant rotating the whole head assembly on the heli by hand.... Mine is not as smooth as my 450 pro... by a very large difference.... cud it be my OWB?

The 1200 packs seem to make the heli tail heavy... I was planning on doing Gens Ace 1600mah..

Am just starting to learn 3D... just managed to do my first tic toc (More of a rainbow ) last week on my 450 Pro..

So I won;t really be using all the power soon, but it will be nice to have when i need them
Old 09-30-2013, 10:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi!!
Glad you liked your WARP, it's a very rewarding build

Regarding to the head, it may be the OWB that being new is a bit tight. Mine was like that but it got better with flight time.
Or it could be a bit too much preloading on the main shaft bearings. I did it once or twice putting too much pressure on the colar when tightening it.

Last edited by Luigi_tuga; 09-30-2013 at 11:00 AM.. Reason: add info
Luigi_tuga is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2013, 11:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Luigi! I did check my main shaft bearing... They spin nice and free with the main shaft inserted without the main gear... but once I get the auto rotation hub in, it doesn't feel smooth anymore... It feels like trying to twist your leg in the mud, sorry I can't think of a better description.. lol
Old 09-30-2013, 01:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

how tight are your belts? I know you mention you don't think they are too tight, but how tight do you have them?
Rockarruda is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockarruda View Post
how tight are your belts? I know you mention you don't think they are too tight, but how tight do you have them?
Hey there, adjusted the main belt so that it just tight enough so that i can spin the main gear while holding the motor without any slipping... I still have a considerable amount of play in the belt.

On second thoughts, am thinking that the main belt tightness does not affect the free spead of the rotor head + main shaft assembly... as that doesn't rotate the main gear with it.

After my flights today, it feels much smoother, as mentioned earlier I think it just takes some time before the autorotation bearing settles in smooth
Old 10-01-2013, 10:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

That's the way with most new builds it takes time to break in
Old 10-01-2013, 11:33 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliSmith View Post
That's the way with most new builds it takes time to break in
Yeah... I almost bought a new autoratation hub yesterday... but I decided to be less paranoid, or else I would have an extra part that lying around.. Like how I made the mistake of getting an extra pair of compass tail blades

Too much horror stories on those, I heard even the cheap 450 tail blades last longer..

Sorry I have one more question, I don't have a tachometer, what sort of TX TH% would give me a 3000 HS on stock motor (Old Can) and stock pinion assembly?

Am not sure on the efficiency of this motor, hence am not too confident with relying on the online HS calculator tool
Old 10-01-2013, 11:58 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

If the autorotation clutch is stiff, you might take it apart, wash the grease out of it, and replace it with TriFlow liquid or ATF.

ATF seems to work the best for many. Grease is not a good idea.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Clem View Post
If the autorotation clutch is stiff, you might take it apart, wash the grease out of it, and replace it with TriFlow liquid or ATF.

ATF seems to work the best for many. Grease is not a good idea.
+1 Great suggestion Clem - it does work!
Old 10-02-2013, 12:59 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-Mike View Post
+1 Great suggestion Clem - it does work!
Hmm.. it does actually feel like it's stuck in grease... will have it taken apart today...

Thanks for the suggestion....

Does any one have the answer to my question on the THR % above?
Old 10-02-2013, 03:21 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

100% throttle is around 3000 rpm with standard gearing
chrismechanic is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2013, 06:50 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismechanic View Post
100% throttle is around 3000 rpm with standard gearing
Wow!! with my 1320kv and 6s lipo.... I should be getting (1320 x 25.2v) 33,000 RPM on motor shaft... factoring gearing ratio of 8.33 in... I would get (33000 / 8.33) 3900 RPM at 100 % efficiency.

If I can only get 3000 HS at 100 % TH.... the motor appears to only have about 75% efficiency,,, isn't that quite low for an outrunner?
Old 10-02-2013, 10:15 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

3000 rpm at 100% sounds way too low, even as a ballpark figure. I measured 3275rpm at 82% throttle with a Scorpion HK-2520 (1360KV) on a YGE60 (gov-store learned at 4.0V/cell). I don't think the Compass motors and the Koby 40 are much different, efficieny-wise.

The gearing is 135T main on a 16T motor pinion (stock), so the ratio is actually 8.4375 – not that it changes the numbers significantly. For the tails it's 83T/17T = 4.8824, there is also a 19T tail pulley available.
cbmd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2013, 03:08 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

your probably right, im just going by my castle software.
im getting 2900 max gov with std gearing, so i guessed around 3000rpm at 100%.... sorry.
chris
chrismechanic is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2013, 05:04 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by suthae View Post
Wow!! with my 1320kv and 6s lipo.... I should be getting (1320 x 25.2v) 33,000 RPM on motor shaft... factoring gearing ratio of 8.33 in... I would get (33000 / 8.33) 3900 RPM at 100 % efficiency.

If I can only get 3000 HS at 100 % TH.... the motor appears to only have about 75% efficiency,,, isn't that quite low for an outrunner?
You aren't talking about efficiency here. Anyway, you should probably use something like 3.3v/cell x 6 cells for your calculations. Under load, the battery voltage will drop from the nominal 4.2v/cell so you can't use 25.2v for your estimation.
ScotY is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2013, 06:26 AM   #20 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by suthae View Post

Try the calculation again using a gear ratio of 8.43:1 for 16T pinion, or 7.94:1 for 17T pinion. Also, nominal voltage is considered 3.7V per cell, so 22.2V for a 6S pack.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in