Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters > 500 Pro Class Electric Helicopters

500 Pro Class Electric Helicopters 500 Pro Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2014, 03:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question Tail kick on 500 pro

I just set my pro up with the governor on the talon 90 and now have a tail kick at full collective +/- . I had it set up before with the stock 12 tooth pinion with the 134 main gear, had pitch curves set with 13+/13- and had to set the revo on the ar7200 to low reverse to remove the kick. Now I am running the lynx 14 tooth pinion and have my gov set to N 30%=2400, I/U 1 70%= 2800 and I/U 2 100%= 3100 and bumped my revo to high reverse and still have tail kick. What gives? Do I need to lower my gov gains more? It seems to be good with steady head rpm.
NC Hillbilly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2014, 06:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Same thing I am working to resolve on mine but using a sk540 gov set at 3100. Running lynxx 14t on 134t main. I am hoping to get to play a bit tomorrow with it. I disabled my gov in tail bank 2 and got the tail steady in a hover first. Now with full collective I get tail kick with 11deg of pitch. Never had it before with 15t on 162t main. I did notice all my gains had to drop since replacing all the bearings and I used to run 20% on gov gain but am slowly dropping it each flight to get the kick out as well as adjusting my coll/tail mix in my sk540.

Heres to us resolving it on 2 different fbl units
Old 07-21-2014, 06:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Tail kick on 500 pro

I am currently at 16% on the gov gain now and will lower it a bit more tomorrow. Maybe we will get it figured out. Here's to us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-22-2014, 11:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Lowered gov gain all the way dow to 10 (lowest it goes). It barely starts to bog. Adjusted my tail/collective mix up to 60. Increased my start acceleration on the tail and lowered the stop speed. All that helped a bit on the tail kicking. This is on my sk540.

Edit:

Check your bearings in the tail blade grips.. checking mine tonight. Georgi suggested tgem in the sk forum and I forgot to replace mine when I did the rest.

Last edited by Digger1973; 07-22-2014 at 01:00 PM..
Digger1973 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2014, 03:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Found 2 bearings bad. Replaced all radial bearings. I also found a pitch link wasn't moving freely. Fixed that. Waiting on a new dfc link so I can test it. Found one was starting more crack.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I ran 4 packs thru mine today while adjusting the tail rod and my gains. I readjusted my tail rod to eliminate drift during hover with the gyro set to rate mode, then adjusted my gyro gain up. I then tried fast full collective pitch pumps and still get a kick but not as bad. I also lowered my governor gains a couple of points but still have a ways to go. What gets me is I had a very slight kick before and got it adjusted out with low revomix but now the high will not take care of it. I will pull the tail apart and give the bearings a check also.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

After some digging I found the ball link on the rudder servo binding. Didn't have any extras and the shops near me didn't either, got some spare parts on the way from A Main. Just will be down a few days before I can resume testing / adjusting. Will have to play with the 450 for a while.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Same as me then. Waiting on a part to test. Not sure if my link will show up before my synergy e5 stretch or not. Fyi a synergy e5 set up with 2 3300mah packs(500 packs) for 12 cell is one powerful 550. Approx 50 bucks more to make it a 600
Old 07-25-2014, 07:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger1973 View Post
Same as me then. Waiting on a part to test. Not sure if my link will show up before my synergy e5 stretch or not. Fyi a synergy e5 set up with 2 3300mah packs(500 packs) for 12 cell is one powerful 550. Approx 50 bucks more to make it a 600
I really like the looks of the Synergy and will probably be my next purchase when the funds allow. I do want to step up in size as soon as possible.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I wanted quality and something that would share my 500 packs. Got tired of waiting to see what alees brings out so I went with synergy
Old 07-25-2014, 02:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Are you guys still on the stock tail servo?

Rate mode setup in my findings helps a lot with the smaller helis fighting a tail kick. Stock align servos aren't usually strong enough for hard maneuvers. My 500 tail worked great all stock until I would do backwards inverted right rudder, it would lock up or blow out. No issues and no fine tuning has been needed with the bk servo I picked up. It's a beast!
vtown nick is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2014, 04:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

The kick we are talking about if fbl unit related to hard pitch change compensation. I am almost positive I found the issue in mine. Just need a new dfc ball link for my dfc arm so I can test. For me a pitch link was tight from slider to grip and 2 bearings were bad. The sk units really show anything binding on the tail . Since it wasn't there before I new something changed mechanically.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am using the stock servo with mine, but did find my ball link binding on the ball on the rudder servo horn. I had a slight kick before the gov setup but was able to completely remove it with the revo mix in the ar7200bx. But after the pinion change and gov settings I cannot get it out on full collective pitch climb outs .

Old 07-25-2014, 06:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I really think mine will be resolved with freeing up the pitch link
Old 07-25-2014, 09:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok that makes more sense to me then, start off with the known obvious first then. You talking the DFC tail then?
Old 07-26-2014, 05:57 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My setup is with the dfc tail gearing.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:24 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yup. 500pro dfc
Old 07-26-2014, 08:17 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I got my new links and moved my ball in to 8mm and still have the kick. I adjusted the gyro gain to the next up from red and have my tx gains set to 45 with the revo mix off. I guess I will add revo mix back and go from there. I am also going back up in the gov gain to make it hold head speed better.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:01 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hoping to test mine tomorrow
Old 07-27-2014, 09:07 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry I ment the dfc tail pitch links. I too have the lower gearing tail like you guys but run mine 100% flat throttle. Is it doing this in your idle 2 set at 3100 like in the first post? I think it's time for a better tail servo, stock 100% motor output on a 12t is roughly 3,000 rpms and if your running a gov of 3100 on a 14t chances are the gov is causing a lot more torque demand on the tail. Just my opinion tho.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in