Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 300X

300X Blade 300X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2014, 03:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Lynx tail blade failed in flight

Anyone Else had lynx tail blades fly off in-flight? 2 flights on these blades. Is this common?
skifreestyle is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2014, 09:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes...

Lynx usually very good quality, but I no longer use their tail blades....Except on micros, t/r blades are the BEST....

John.
bmlasater is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2014, 12:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I fly the crap out of my lynx 300x with no tail blade issues. Knock on wood. At one point while still on 245mm blades I was swinging 4,000 rpms no issues.

Did you balance them?
vtown nick is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2014, 05:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
The Airetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by skifreestyle View Post
Anyone Else had lynx tail blades fly off in-flight? 2 flights on these blades. Is this common?
skifreestyle, sorry to hear about your failure! There can be any number of different causes.

If you would like, you can go to this link and submit a ticket with Lynx. They are very good about taking care of customers.

http://www.lynxheli.com/contact_us.php
Old 11-09-2014, 06:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

thanks for everyone's comments. i didn't dynamically balance but i checked the weight of each blade on a scale and they were the same. I also did a bench run up without mains and i was vibe free. Weird think is that I had a second set of lynx tail blades that cracked & broke on the seam yesterday when i went to install them. Glad they cracked while still on the bench. I'm using metal 450 tail grips and the tail blades are tightened just to where they are not flopping in the grips but with no pressure on them. seems like bad plastic or molding process to me. i'll go back to the stock ones since i've never had an issue but i'll let lynx know anyways. Maybe they updated the design and i had old ones.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Airetic

They did have a questionable batch of 450/300x tail blades a little over a year ago. Lynx pulled and destroyed the stock they had at the time, but it is possible that there was still some in the distribution chain. You could have ended up with some of those.

Don't give up on them though. They really are pretty good tail blades.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
HF Support

I still use Lynx plastic tail blades on my 300X because they're way cheaper than CF blades. I did have one incident where one disintegrated in flight a few months ago. But I wasn't really sure if it was just a bad blade or if it had sustained damage from a previous crash that I didn't detect beforehand. Now it's just one of the thing things I check for wear. That is, take the tail blades off and inspect the root for any signs of stress. Usually the plastic will be discolored lighter than the rest of the blade if it's being strained. If you see anything like that it's best to replace the blades.
Nelsonisms is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2014, 04:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Son of a!!!!!! I should really learn to keep quiet in these kinds of conversations!

Did a piro rainbow then heard a god aweful vibration that started with a pop then full speed piro after a second pop. At that point I chose to hit throttle hold letting it fall a good 30 feet onto the hard packed dirt.

Last edited by vtown nick; 11-15-2014 at 02:05 PM..
Old 11-13-2014, 11:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
HF Support

It happens to the best of us. Good job saving the heli.

I bet you the cold weather makes the plastic blades more brittle as well.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:53 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Darn dude that sucks. I was hoping only one of us had to crash like this. On a good note I told the Lynx support team about the issue and sent them a couple pics. they totally took care of me and are replacing them.
Old 11-15-2014, 02:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by skifreestyle View Post
Darn dude that sucks. I was hoping only one of us had to crash like this. On a good note I told the Lynx support team about the issue and sent them a couple pics. they totally took care of me and are replacing them.
I would submit a service ticket but $4 blades won't make me happy considering they caused me to damage - lynx main shaft, lynx feathering shaft, lynx 275mm blade split, stock skids, lynx 300xl boom, lynx tail hub, lynx main shaft bearings, lynx main gear, lynx dfc sacrificial arms and tail blades of corse lol
Old 11-15-2014, 08:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I assume they have to draw a line somwhere between the part that failed and the other dammages that "it" caused,a little to thin I believe,but they did try and and help.I had a similar problem durina piro the mains cut the tails in half..was able to save it and land.Lynx replaced the tails but let me know that since I wasn`t using their ultra dampners,they could`nt warent them a second time saying there was too much flex in the mains causing contact. Lesson learned.It`s all Lynx now. But now you have me wondering if they would go that extra mile and replace everything eles that gets dammage in the future if one of thier components just fail. I know Blade will if they agree with whatever happened to it...been there.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:00 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.D 4511 View Post
I assume they have to draw a line somwhere between the part that failed and the other dammages that "it" caused,a little to thin I believe,but they did try and and help.I had a similar problem durina piro the mains cut the tails in half..was able to save it and land.Lynx replaced the tails but let me know that since I wasn`t using their ultra dampners,they could`nt warent them a second time saying there was too much flex in the mains causing contact. Lesson learned.It`s all Lynx now. But now you have me wondering if they would go that extra mile and replace everything eles that gets dammage in the future if one of thier components just fail. I know Blade will if they agree with whatever happened to it...been there.
In this hobby I just take stuff like this with a grain of salt usually. I would normally just no longer use a certain product if it caused this big of a problem but not many options out there for good tail blades on this lil heli. I have 2 more blades coming hopefully from the later batch. I will compare and see if I can tell which version I had based off the ones I will be getting.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
HF Support

I just think they get brittle over time. It's probably a good idea to change them out every month or so. At the very least pull them and inspect them for weakness around the root on a regular basis.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:17 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelsonisms View Post
I just think they get brittle over time. It's probably a good idea to change them out every month or so. At the very least pull them and inspect them for weakness around the root on a regular basis.
Loctite might add to making them brittle...

If its applied on the screw and not on the threads in the hole, most will get scraped off pushing it through the blade. I did it the first time (and maybe a bit much), the white blade had lines of blue coming from the blade root... after that I started to apply directly into the hole instead...
Old 11-16-2014, 12:41 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I will have 3 sets now so maybe I will just do that for preventative maintance. Cheaper to do that then a crash. This heli sees a lot of street flights at home too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livan75 View Post
Loctite might add to making them brittle...

If its applied on the screw and not on the threads in the hole, most will get scraped off pushing it through the blade. I did it the first time (and maybe a bit much), the white blade had lines of blue coming from the blade root... after that I started to apply directly into the hole instead...
This is also what Luca had said that he thought was the cause. I apply it to the threads with a paper clip to prevent these kinds of problems. They had over 80 flights on them so it isn't completely the end of the world for me.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:13 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just fit CF tail blades - they last longer and dont crack.
andycrazy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2014, 03:06 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by andycrazy View Post
Just fit CF tail blades - they last longer and dont crack.
Well that depends, dont it? Mine generally goes to s**** well before being worn out by time...

I've been using Lynx platsics and they can take alot, I've had tail strikes and full crashes without any damage. It's generally because of maltreatment when I have to change blades, I dont think the CFs are any different when it comes to sandblasting during takeoff or whisked around in tall grass...
Old 11-18-2014, 01:56 PM   #19 (permalink)
HF Support

I agree that CF blades are better, but I've yet to find a set of CF blades to fit my 300 with the Align tail grips. I have a couple sets of the Blade brand CF tail blades but the outer circumference of the roots are too broad to fit these grips. I'd have to sand them down to get them to fit. If anyone knows of some 47mm-ish CF tail blades other than the Blade ones let me know.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:00 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I agree that CF blades are better, but I've yet to find a set of CF blades to fit my 300 with the Align tail grips. I have a couple sets of the Blade brand CF tail blades but the outer circumference of the roots are too broad to fit these grips. I'd have to sand them down to get them to fit. If anyone knows of some 47mm-ish CF tail blades other than the Blade ones let me know.
ZEAL is taking requests in their support section.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in