Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Electric Micro/Mini Helicopters > Zoom/Shogun 400

Zoom/Shogun 400 Electric - Zoom - Shogun 400 Specific Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2004, 07:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Maiden voyage! sort of...

Well, spun her up for the first time last night and....didn't fly. Pisser. Actually, the heli itself seemed in good shape. It spun up "smoothly" (not so sure bout how soft that softest start is), all control surfaces seemed in good order, but my GY401 was not working properly.
At power up the 401 boots up properly into avcs mode, and if I move the heli by hand it makes corrections to the tail, but when I spin the heli up and get some head speed going, as soon as I touch the rudder stick I loose all gyro and tail inputs. It does a wicked nice pirouette (sp?) though She just spins and spins and spins.
The LED on the 401 goes from a solid light, meaning all is good, to a blink-blink-pause, blink-blink-pause over and over. Any ideas? I'm gonna read my instructions again, but for now I'm kinda stumped.
j
StrangeRanger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2004, 07:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

Are you sure the gyro is not reversed? Making sure when you push it, it responds in the opposite direction.

Just an idea????
Hotshot Charlie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2004, 08:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Well, I went by the instructions in the Shogun manual. I did not check it on the tail end b/c I assumed if the servo moved as the book said it should, all was good.
I read the 401 instructions and it says "If the LED flashes twice, the rudder trim of that flight condition has shifted. Readjust the rudder trim." But I haven't touched the trim?? Hmm...
j
Old 09-10-2004, 09:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
Sar
Registered Users

Does your radio have 'Revo Mixing' in it, and if so is it disabled like it should be? That's all I can think of at the moment.
Sar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2004, 09:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yup, revo mix is off. Like I said, I use a 401 in my R50 with no problems. I usually know how to set everything up.
I just don't understand why it will work when the heli is sitting still and I move it by hand. And also seems to be working while spinning up. It's not until I make any rudder commands that it goes into crazy ass spin mode???
j
Old 09-10-2004, 12:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Could the gyro be reversed? That will make it go into crazy ass spin mode.
rob_jones is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2004, 12:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have it mounted like in the mjp directions b/c I have their boom mount. I thot if the 401 was perpendicular to the main mast all was good. Besides, I believe when I move the heli by hand it counter acts in the proper direction. S**t, I wish I didn't have to work today and could just stay home and fart with it. Running out of flying weather up here in teh North
j
Old 09-10-2004, 02:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, something is backwards. It could be that the servo is going to right way, but the gyro is reversed. Or vice versa. The 401 has a tiny switch on the top to reverse direction. Also, be sure that DS mode is OFF. You will surely fry the servo if you leave it on.

To check it, be sure you are NOT in heading hold. Move the rudder stick to the right and observe the servo rotation. Then sharply rotate the heli to the left (its left) and be sure the servo rotates the same direction it did when you moved the stick to the right. If not, the gyro is reversed. Move the little switch on the top of the gyro and then re-initialize it and check again.

Also be sure the REVO MIX is OFF and SUBTRIM is set to 0. If any trim adjustments need to be made, do so mechanically (adjusting the pushrod) and not with the trim lever.

And by the way, Helifreak has a PG rating. :mrgreen: Try to keep it clean. :wink:
rob_jones is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2004, 03:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

Just another thought....

You are now using a HS55, I think, this is not a digital servo, make sure your Gyro is set to standard servo and not digital.
Old 09-11-2004, 08:34 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well fellas, my Shogun continues to amaze me. I powered up last night to fart w/ it, I touched NOTHING, and it is working perfectly! WTF?! Really, I did nothing. But took it out to the drive, spooled up and she flew. With no issues. Just lots of tweaking and trimmng to do. Go figure. Makes me nervous. But I fly it till I crash it
j
Old 09-11-2004, 09:44 AM   #11 (permalink)

That's crazy, J !!! Sometimes you have to just walk away from them for a little while and they heal themselves !! hehehe :mrgreen: Have a great weekend. I have to go work at a local hobby store today for about 4 hours, I will probably take my little beast with me and work on it when the customer flow is low.

Have a great "tweakin'" kinda day ! Keep me informed on your progress !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in