Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Century

Century Century Helicopters Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 10:07 PM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

cool thanks for the pics.
gs550t1981 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 02:51 AM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

John, how are you mounting your camera? The image is clearer than most I see.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-21-2012, 08:15 AM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I stick it to the bottom of the canopy with a soft, but strong, putty-like material. I think it's called fun-tack, or handi-tack. The key (well, there's at least two) is that putty is the only thing between the camera and the heli so it can absorb all of the high-freq vibes (no velcro straps or anything else that can bring vibes to the camera). The second is near-perfect blade tracking (or in general, a smooth running heli) to reduce low-freq vibes. The camera will easily show blades that are out of track, or a bouncing tail, if even just a little.

Kind of interesting, it was because of a camera that I found problems with the (brand new) metal arms on my green Mini-Titan SE. The resulting video clearly showed the heli had a tracking problem, even though it was very difficult to see with the eye. Turned out that the 8 bearings in the 4 metal arms (upper mixer & lower washout) were pressed too far "in" (probably no spacers) so the arms could slide in/out on their mount screws more than they should (about 0.015"). For comparison, I have metal arms on my other Mini-Titan, whose bearings are seated properly (can measure with calipers) and there is no slop nor tracking problems. This slop was causing the tracking issue - everything else on the head was fine. I put some plastic arms on (with proper bearing-to-bearing spacers) and the slop and tracking issue disappeared - I didn't adjust any of the push-rods. I've since purchased new metal arms but have not installed them yet.

Another camera story - this summer I was flying in a field near work during lunch. After the flight I noticed one of the rubber spacers I added to the NX's canopy (at the struts) was missing. Looked all around where I did my pre-flight stuff - nowhere to be found. Later while watching the video I noticed something odd in a few frames. The rubber spacer was kind enough pass in front of the camera (don't know how that was even possible) before it left the heli. I could see where-about the heli was at that time and sure enough, I went back to that spot in the big field after work and found the little spacer That was almost as cool as hovering for the first time ! But seriously - I traced the path that spacer had to take in order to be seen by the camera and it makes absolutely no sense. It had to dislodge itself, move forward along the bottom of the canopy, while the heli was moving forward, then turn left and pass in front of the camera before finally jumping off. Kinda like the magic-bullet theory (?)

Last edited by FR4-Pilot; 11-21-2012 at 10:40 AM..
FR4-Pilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 10:26 AM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am going to have to try that. I am thinking of a gopro once I maiden the heli (hopefully my next weekend off). I have to rebuild my mini titan though. Just about every bearing in it is toast now. I would expect them to last longer then 240 flights though I do abuse the collective a bit on turns, etc with hard direction changes.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:30 PM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

December 2nd and it's 65°F in Chicago - what's up with that? Doesn't matter - got to fly a couple of packs today with the new 550/85mm red/black/white CF blades on my NX. It's hard to believe how much more lift there is with only about 2" more of disc diameter. I had to keep positive collective during my loops otherwise she kept floating upward! Also had to reduce flying time from 5min to 4:30 to keep battery drain in check. Motor/ESC/Battery were a little warm after flight, but not bad at all.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07514.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	370603   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07509.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	254.5 KB
ID:	370604  
Old 12-02-2012, 07:01 PM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR4-Pilot View Post
December 2nd and it's 65°F in Chicago - what's up with that? Doesn't matter - got to fly a couple of packs today with the new 550/85mm red/black/white CF blades on my NX. It's hard to believe how much more lift there is with only about 2" more of disc diameter. I had to keep positive collective during my loops otherwise she kept floating upward! Also had to reduce flying time from 5min to 4:30 to keep battery drain in check. Motor/ESC/Battery were a little warm after flight, but not bad at all.

Good to hear that you had some fun today. Some of the performance difference you may have felt may have been due to the colder weather and some of the shorter battery time would also be atribbuted to the colder weather.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:09 PM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's actually warmer here that it should be - near 70° tomorrow (?) I was thinking the extra current draw was due to the longer blades and their additional drag ... but cold does have it's effects as well.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KErWNdQle20[/ame]

Last edited by FR4-Pilot; 12-15-2012 at 09:13 AM..
Old 07-07-2013, 12:18 AM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

Final lazy flight of the day on the 4th of July.

I really like how gentle this heli is at 1700-1800 RPM. I just installed a set of triple bearing tail grips which seem to be working great. There was a 10ft glider off to my right, so I couldn't use the entire flying area during this flight.

5S 4000mAh pack, on-board data logger and LCD display all working great as well. The ESC was a little warm after the flight due to my keeping the heli close by and not speeding around like usual

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkLR1Hk_DKs
Old 08-06-2013, 07:10 PM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL48r06SGio

Great day of flying at Busse Woods
Old 08-08-2013, 01:00 PM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

As usual, very nice relaxing flight to watch. And, the way you overlay the 2 videos looks really cool You made it all look so simple. I envy those wide loops.
ricoalonso is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2013, 07:01 PM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Rico!

Old 08-15-2013, 09:18 PM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Prototype vids from pre production....

Prototype Helicopter flight 5 (3 min 16 sec)
Chris DeSain is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2013, 09:26 PM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default This one is the first flight of a swifet 550NX in the US

This was a prototype 90% Had to make some of the parts to get it in the air...
Wow that was some time ago !
Says flight 2 but flight 1 was a hover :-)

Flight 2 (3 min 47 sec)

Last edited by Chris DeSain; 08-15-2013 at 09:27 PM.. Reason: a
Chris DeSain is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2013, 07:46 PM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris DeSain View Post
This was a prototype 90% Had to make some of the parts to get it in the air...
Wow that was some time ago !
Says flight 2 but flight 1 was a hover :-)

Flight 2 - YouTube
Very nice Chris!! What were you using as a power system?
Old 10-23-2013, 06:22 AM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR4-Pilot View Post
Heli Flight - Dual Camera - YouTube

Great day of flying at Busse Woods
Wow! I really like the Dual Camera Video. I recognize Busse Woods as I have been there and flown planks there some years ago. I'm down in Romeoville now just flying Heli's mostly....all Century's!
DaMayor is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2013, 11:17 AM   #76 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMayor View Post
Wow! I really like the Dual Camera Video. I recognize Busse Woods as I have been there and flown planks there some years ago. I'm down in Romeoville now just flying Heli's mostly....all Century's!
Thanks for watching! I just started flying planes there too - I can get much better video from the plane than I can with the helis.

Have fun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EgcN_bKVG8
Old 10-25-2013, 02:00 PM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cool video John I bet the next thing you will do is one from a multi-copter
ricoalonso is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2013, 03:54 PM   #78 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Rico! I'd like to try one from an FPV plane first ....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in