Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > nano CP X Brushless Mods

nano CP X Brushless Mods Blade nano CP X Brushless Mods Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 05:11 PM   #141 (permalink)
Registered Users

Built a "normal" BL Nano this week, still waiting for Dylans stuff

So most difficult again the frame modifications (in fact most difficult this time for me were flashing the ESCs, and soldering - but thats a different story; sometimes everything goes wrong ).

I used my normal old HP03s (guess 13500); changed the axis against a spare axis of the Hawk 12000 kv tail motor - this fits perfectly and has 1 mm at the "propeller-side", so stock 7-t pinion could be mounted.

Used a reversed brushed motor mount and implanted it into the Nano frame. Was not that difficult, seems to be quite strong; advantages: Motor sits "higher", so do not have to damage frame in skid-pin area; and I drilled long-holes for pinion-mesh adjustment as usal; works very good.
Disadvantage: Axis of most motors will be too short and not reach main gear; but the axis of the Hawk 12000 is longer than HP03s and has the perfect length to reach the main gear level.

I did not use spacers for servos; do not have screws long enough to go throught 3 mm spacers and sit well in the frame; instead of this I made "longer" screw holes - used parts of old mCP x frames for this; was easy ans seems to be quite durable.

I use a XP-3A with changed mosfets, flashed BL Heli v 9.0.

Quite a lot of work - had a lot of problems when building this heli (but not with frame, with ESCs and flashing, my stupid faults... cost days).

Weight is 26.7 g without battery, but with originals skids, canopy, and 2 mm tail rod instead of tube - quite similar to brushed Nano.

My BL Nano CPx flew, it flew and flies quite well; but to be honest: I had expected a little bit more.
It is ok, it is more power than stock brushed motor, maybe perfect for living-room.
Bud I had wanted "more more" - maybe not as much as in my horrible 2s Nano, what is probably much too much for living room, but I wanted about "HP05s in mCP x" level; I guess my Nano has the "C05M in mXP x" level (I removed my C05M after a short time out of my mCP x ).

So probably I will buy the HP03s 16600.

Anyway, tail holds perfectly (as expected - it even holds perfectly in my 2s Nano, only heat could be a problem there).

Different batteries make a big difference.
I have three types of "stock shaped" batteries: Eflite stock, Turnigy Nanotech 160 and Turnigy 160.
Eflite stock are by far best of those (at least three of my four); then Turnigy Nanotech far behind, and last Turnigy 160.
I also have old Zippy 240 20c, which work quite well, and (also old) Hyperion 240, which are much heavier than the Zippy and now work worse (but both batteries are about 1 1/2 years of age, so maybe too old).

Flight time is similar to brushed motor, at least in the Eflite batteries.

Quite a lot of work for quite a little improve
Hope, I can do better.
Maybe some of you could post a screenshot of their BL Heli settings for their XP-3A.

I need a stronger motor - but I fear, stock batteries (and plugs - those tiny plugs) will be too weak for stronger motors.

Intermediate between my 2s and my HP03 - that would probably be perfect

I guess, I will have to buy the "wild" HP03 16600

Would be glad if some of you profs could post a screenshot of their BL Heli settings for XP-3A in their Nano CPX.

Frame modifications

HP03s 13500 kv with Hawk 12000 axis and 7t pinion

Frame modified 2.25 g.

Walter
donaldsneffe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 05:21 PM   #142 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had been checking astroid designs daily since I saw Dylans first post about turning the Nano BL so I managed to get my hands on the kit already. My parts arrived this week and I split the build into two days and it took a good 3 - 4 hours. I've done a couple of MCPxes and this was the same difficulty. Easier than my double BL MCPx because I bought the kit from Dylan and didn't have to fight the XP3a to get it flashed. I followed the kits instructions and ended up with a really kick ass helicopter. 4 minutes of solid flight time on hyperion 240s and MCPx batteries. To use the MCPx batteries I just crammed the MCPx skids onto the nano and soldered up a little plug adapter.

mikesbaker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 08:29 PM   #143 (permalink)
Registered Users

Walter, you have proven this is truly a sickness. Well done that 2s looks insane!
Old 11-05-2012, 02:28 AM   #144 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Walter, you are insane but I respect your work a lot

BTW: my 1015 BL 1S flies just like stock (maybe a bit better) and is at 30 grams now. It runs at 100% throttle so no gov.

nano CPX - nano CPX BL - 2 x MCPX V1 BL - 2 x MCPX BL - 230S - MQX - Gaui 330X - 4G6V-FBL - 4G6V - cX450pro - T450pro - T500 DFC - Gaui EP550 FBL
xs4reak is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 02:38 PM   #145 (permalink)
Registered Users

Trying to understand the governing in this esc. Think I've got it but one question. If its set to gov tx mode, will the governor work or is it ineffective since it can't get the signal from the tx? Sorry if its been covered but couldn't find it anywhere.
ChrisPfligler is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 02:53 PM   #146 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPfligler View Post
Trying to understand the governing in this esc. Think I've got it but one question. If its set to gov tx mode, will the governor work or is it ineffective since it can't get the signal from the tx? Sorry if its been covered but couldn't find it anywhere.
The flat throttle curve programmed in the TX tells the ESC what the governed head speed is.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:05 PM   #147 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCcraig View Post
The flat throttle curve programmed in the TX tell the ESC what the governed head speed is.
Right on thanks. I'm pretty good about confusing myself.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:12 PM   #148 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPfligler View Post
Right on thanks. I'm pretty good about confusing myself.
Set your flight modes at 60% flat, 70% flat and 75% flat, if you have three fight modes, and adjust from there.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:22 PM   #149 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCcraig View Post
Set your flight modes at 60% flat, 70% flat and 75% flat, if you have three fight modes, and adjust from there.
Yep sure do. (Dx8) That's pretty close to what I've got now. I'll mess with it when I get home from work.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:13 PM   #150 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was not very happy with my HP03s 13500 kv with Hawk axis - could have had more power.

Tried different settings - now run on 80% gov, power ok, but ... not enough. Tried 8t and 7t pinion...
Anyway, after changing the pinion again, the motor did not start anymore. Found a plug was broken, changed plugs, used this time the expensive (but good) ones from Astroid-Designs. But no success, motor did not start.
Took the motor again out of the heli, removed pinion, disassembled motor. Did not find the problem - it must be a wire, but did not find the broken wire.
In my box I found an old little motor I got from Hobbyking with a Micro Liadon Plane (which never really flew); this motor should be a ADH30 8000 kv; in fact, it looks little different than the two versions of ADH30 you can buy at Hobbyking (has two shims on axis, 1.5 mm axis,...).
Took shims of and motor apart - nice inside, 12 magnets in the bell, and the motor worked.
It is even little smaller than the HP03s.
Wanted to try it in the Nano, but therefore I had to exchange the axis.
When trying to remove the axis from bell, I did not have success, ... and in the end I bent the bell
So I tried the "inside part" of this ADH30 and the bell from HP03s (only 6 magnets - the ADH30 bell has 12 magnets) with axis from Hawk 12000 motor.
And it worked.
Mounted this motor in my Nano - and the result was very, very good.
This Frankenstein-motor is much stronger than my HP03s.
Thats what I wanted, really much more power than stock brushed motor, but not "dangerous power" (as my 2s or the mCP x).
Wonderful - I will keep this motor - Frankenstein is sweet

BTW:
Tried several different batteries.
300s from mCP x - the good ones (my new Turnigy 300 45-90c, wonderful batteries, but dont know yet, how long they last; and my quite new Xtreme 300) showed very good results and long flight times. But you feel the weight. Flightimes > 7 min.
But not that excellent batteries (Turnigy 300 35-70, maybe 15 cycles) did not work very well, and my MiniAviation 300 were already really poor.
Turnigy and T. Nanotec 160 are very poor.
Stock Eflite are best - and - you will not believe - my old ZIPPY 240 20c.
I love those Zippies.
They are really much better than my Hyperion 240 (also old), and they are much lighter. Performance of the Zippy 240 is equal or even better than stock Eflite batteries; and you can mount them into KBDD/mCPX/FP100 skids battery mounts without any problems (Hyperion 240 are too big).
They are crap cheap - try them, for that price (unfortunately out of stock actually at Hobbyking).

Frankenstein and Zippy 240 - a very good team

I know, you guys prefer Dylans fast food stuff - but I like to tinker and build and try, thats nearly as much fun as flying
(Anyway, I like Dylans products also very much - but... actually this is more fun and it would be even much more fun if more pilots would post their different experiences with different setups and settings - and if not nearly everyone will tell about the "mild and/or the wild kit" )

Dont be angry, Dylan, I love your stuff, too

Walter
Old 11-06-2012, 07:31 PM   #151 (permalink)
Registered Users

I will not go brushless. I will not go brushless. I will not go brushless.
Drivinfast247 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 07:45 PM   #152 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldsneffe View Post
I was not very happy with my HP03s 13500 kv with Hawk axis - could have had more power.

Tried different settings - now run on 80% gov, power ok, but ... not enough. Tried 8t and 7t pinion...
Anyway, after changing the pinion again, the motor did not start anymore. Found a plug was broken, changed plugs, used this time the expensive (but good) ones from Astroid-Designs. But no success, motor did not start.
Took the motor again out of the heli, removed pinion, disassembled motor. Did not find the problem - it must be a wire, but did not find the broken wire.
In my box I found an old little motor I got from Hobbyking with a Micro Liadon Plane (which never really flew); this motor should be a ADH30 8000 kv; in fact, it looks little different than the two versions of ADH30 you can buy at Hobbyking (has two shims on axis, 1.5 mm axis,...).
Took shims of and motor apart - nice inside, 12 magnets in the bell, and the motor worked.
It is even little smaller than the HP03s.
Wanted to try it in the Nano, but therefore I had to exchange the axis.
When trying to remove the axis from bell, I did not have success, ... and in the end I bent the bell
So I tried the "inside part" of this ADH30 and the bell from HP03s (only 6 magnets - the ADH30 bell has 12 magnets) with axis from Hawk 12000 motor.
And it worked.
Mounted this motor in my Nano - and the result was very, very good.
This Frankenstein-motor is much stronger than my HP03s.
Thats what I wanted, really much more power than stock brushed motor, but not "dangerous power" (as my 2s or the mCP x).
Wonderful - I will keep this motor - Frankenstein is sweet

BTW:
Tried several different batteries.
300s from mCP x - the good ones (my new Turnigy 300 45-90c, wonderful batteries, but dont know yet, how long they last; and my quite new Xtreme 300) showed very good results and long flight times. But you feel the weight. Flightimes > 7 min.
But not that excellent batteries (Turnigy 300 35-70, maybe 15 cycles) did not work very well, and my MiniAviation 300 were already really poor.
Turnigy and T. Nanotec 160 are very poor.
Stock Eflite are best - and - you will not believe - my old ZIPPY 240 20c.
I love those Zippies.
They are really much better than my Hyperion 240 (also old), and they are much lighter. Performance of the Zippy 240 is equal or even better than stock Eflite batteries; and you can mount them into KBDD/mCPX/FP100 skids battery mounts without any problems (Hyperion 240 are too big).
They are crap cheap - try them, for that price (unfortunately out of stock actually at Hobbyking).

Frankenstein and Zippy 240 - a very good team

I know, you guys prefer Dylans fast food stuff - but I like to tinker and build and try, thats nearly as much fun as flying
(Anyway, I like Dylans products also very much - but... actually this is more fun and it would be even much more fun if more pilots would post their different experiences with different setups and settings - and if not nearly everyone will tell about the "mild and/or the wild kit" )

Dont be angry, Dylan, I love your stuff, too

Walter
No worries Walter, my aim was to keep as much of the heli stock as possible, and repeatable results. your way beyond that now the mild kit works great with good batteries at the stock or lower weight, the whole idea with the nano is to fly it in spaces too small for even the lightest mcpx

The motor you now have is probably very close to the 16600Kv hpo3, but possibly more torque.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:05 PM   #153 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylwad View Post
No worries Walter, my aim was to keep as much of the heli stock as possible, and repeatable results. your way beyond that now the mild kit works great with good batteries at the stock or lower weight, the whole idea with the nano is to fly it in spaces too small for even the lightest mcpx

The motor you now have is probably very close to the 16600Kv hpo3, but possibly more torque.
OK, thanks.
How do you calculate this?
8000 kv (if correct, I dont know for sure) 12 magnet = 16000 kv 6 magnet?

I do not think, it has more torque than your wild HP, it is not "very very powerful", only "quite powerful"
BTW: Probably will order the 16600 from yours, soon.
But when getting the plates I'll probably try the CO5M first, ...

In the Frankenstein Nano I have very slight tail blow outs (which I do NOT have in the 2s!!!); I'll make a BL tail next days...

And so far I only have 2 Nanos, I need at least 4 or 5 as I have mCP x to build all the versions I would like

BTW:
Did you try the Zippy 240?
Would be interested in other pilots opinion... those old batteries were a big positive surprise for me.

Walter
Old 11-06-2012, 08:53 PM   #154 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivinfast247 View Post
is it working?
Old 11-06-2012, 09:06 PM   #155 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fretman View Post
is it working?
Trying to associate with his mindset won't help you Fretman.

You're done for too...

(or are already bl lol)

Amp
Ampdraw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 11:24 PM   #156 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampdraw View Post
Trying to associate with his mindset won't help you Fretman.

You're done for too...

(or are already bl lol)

Amp
Lol, I didn't even try to fight it this time. And as luck would have it, the day my stock motor died Dylan's kits became available. If that isn't fate I don't know what is.

But... Turns out Im not so lucky after all, the elevator servo plug or something went bad on the 3in1 at same time and my nano has been at HH ever since. (I've had great luck getting replacement parts fast in the past but they insisted on me sending it in this time)

The BL kit is sitting on my desk with no nano.... So I sift through posts of how great the BL nano flies, and poke fun at people fighting the inevitable to pass the time.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:24 AM   #157 (permalink)
Registered Users

LOL! For me - no choice!

I can’t afford to stay brushed. My first motor has lasted 5 days and 70 flights! The second has only 10 flights and already doesn’t look great.

As is, by the time I manage to actually buy one of the brushless kits and then get it here, I will have paid for it in brushed motors about 3 or 4 times over!

This is right back to the bad old days of Walkera 4#3B! – Friday job – change motor!

Dave
1winglo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 10:03 AM   #158 (permalink)
Registered Users

Once again I put the MCPX and the Helifreak site down for a month and the world changes.. Just got my Nano CPx yesterday and less the bogging from my lack of practice, I’m thoroughly impressed!!

Dylan when is your mild/wild sauce going to be back in stock!! I need more power!
Dre414 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #159 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivinfast247 View Post
Come to the dark side
Old 11-08-2012, 12:18 PM   #160 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just have to make some servo spacers and find longer screws...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0873.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	364537   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0874.jpg
Views:	616
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	364538  
itsmillertime0 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in