Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Airplanes Info and Support > Airplane Related

Airplane Related R/C Airplanes Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2015, 12:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Parkzone Sport Cub

Hello all,

At the suggestion of some folks here, I've decided to pick a Parkzone Sport Cub up to go with the Rx that came with my DX6.
What am I not thinking about in this decision? Been flying helis for a few months. Never flown a plane outside the sim. Any reason I shouldn't choose this one?

Sincerely
Kevin

Send from my GS5 from somewhere in the Pacific.

Former heli pilot.
KevinPJF is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2015, 03:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default like you

I started out with helis.
They are intensely fun. Planes are way more relaxed. They are also more forgiving in a less than perfect landing!
Truthfully, I like them a little more than helis now.
For me, I like the thought of 8 to 15 minutes of flying time. Styrofoam can give without exploding. Unlike helicopters. Glue and an accelerant, 2 minutes and you're back in the air!
They can even fly upside down, but I'm sure you know this.
The only real thing you should be aware of is center of gravity. In the manual, it'll tell you where it should be. Make a mark on the underside of the wings to show you where it is, that way once you put your battery in, check it with your thumbs. If it balances on those spots, you're good.
If it don't, slide the battery either way to make it balance and go fly!
I too have that plane, sadly I've only flown it once before winter hit, flies awesome. Take care👍
Johnwhipple is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2015, 05:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

The only problem I have with this now is..... we're moving and my finance manager said I couldn't buy it til we were in our new assignment. Haha. I'll pick it up in early summer.

Sincerely
Kevin

Send from my GS5 from somewhere in the Pacific.

Former heli pilot.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was a Heli dude fo a few years, gave the up and now am a plane guy.
Started a few weeks ago and... chose a Parkzone Sport Cub. The one with 1300mm wingspan and wthout AS3X, so PNP.

What can I say, Heli flying definitely helps (with nose-in flying). Its a great starter, even without AS3X. It lies nicelyeven in strong winds and boy does it take a beating. I even snapped it in half. Just superglue it back together, add some duct tape for good measure and she's reay to fly as nicely as before.

If you have a spare servo lying around, you can use that for the flap function. Because this plane wants to land in a very gentle approach slope.

If you chose the Y-harness for the aileron servos, just use the dualalie function on the DX6i to move them correctly. If you install flaps, inhibit the dualalie again. Programming's a bit confusing at first if you're used to Helis.
MRCL is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2015, 05:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Get one with the AS3X, you'll thank me. I have a 1/4 scale Cub and that little sport cub with as3x feels pretty much the same at a fraction of the size, even in wind. We have been recommending them to every new guy or guys who have big planes but very little actual flight time. It is essentially the real life sim for airplanes. To get one without as3x is to torture yourself needlessly.
700 size scale Bell Jet Ranger 206BIII, 450 size scale UH-1N, 180 size fpv race/freestyle quad w/Fatshark Dominator V3 goggles, mCPX BL, some edf jets and a plank or two, DX8, AMA# 923167, Clubs: Silver Hills RC, Coeur D Alene Modelers Association
JasonJ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2015, 02:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonJ View Post
Get one with the AS3X, you'll thank me. I have a 1/4 scale Cub and that little sport cub with as3x feels pretty much the same at a fraction of the size, even in wind. We have been recommending them to every new guy or guys who have big planes but very little actual flight time. It is essentially the real life sim for airplanes. To get one without as3x is to torture yourself needlessly.
Hm. Well the whole justification for buying it was to use the AR610 that came with the DX6. I'll have to look into the differences I guess.

EDIT: Okay! I had a senior moment. AS3X is the same tech the 200 SRX uses, right? If so, I see why that would be beneficial.

Former heli pilot.

Last edited by KevinPJF; 04-13-2015 at 03:05 AM.. Reason: Learned something

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in