Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 100 Class Electric Helicopters

100 Class Electric Helicopters 100 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2014, 09:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Out of box performance?

So what's this thing like out of the box? What mods are important right away? I feel like I see a lot of reliability issues, if you don't crash the thing, is it ok?
Bendero is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2014, 09:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mine has been great..My only issues have come from pilot error crashes..My MCPX-BL takes a beating much better but the 150 flies sooo much better...It flies "bigger " and crashes "bigger"...
Old 03-01-2014, 10:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendero View Post
So what's this thing like out of the box? What mods are important right away? I feel like I see a lot of reliability issues, if you don't crash the thing, is it ok?
I assume your asking about the T-Rex 150 DFC?

Out of the box, the plastic swash is RUBBISH even on the new batch, change the swash to a metal swash, apply the servo saver mod and I highly recommend replacing the stock gyro foam with something better.

I pre-ordered from the first batch on HeliDirect, however I got lucky they didn't get enough stock as the first batch had crappy brittle plastic. After Align has changed out almost all if not all the plastic and did a few changes here and there I feel this is great flying machine with just the two first mods mentioned in my second paragraph.

At first I was thinking this thing is fragile after reading all the posts and having issues with mine at first (I purchased the metal swash but wanted to see how long the stock plastic one would last ... 3 flights ... really just 3 flights!) but now that I've had a couple of crashes since my mods, I am starting to feel this is more durable than I was thinking ... however I fly over grass and haven't had a crash into anything really hard yet.

Tail holds well!!! Took me a few times to get everything setup and tweaked well and I was about to sell it after my 6th flight as I swore off motored tails ... yet after finally setting up the pots to my fly style and playing with gain a lot on my TX, this tail holds really well for what I can throw at it.

So if you're on the fence about purchasing it ... DO IT, I mean it's only a little more then the mCPX BL, however flies better and the parts are cheaper (I think? Not sure, but I read they were)
QueadlunnRau is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2014, 10:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
DPW
Registered Users

Talking Schrödinger's Cat

Quote:
Align test fly these and the 150 right out of the box is a blast to fly.
but
After a few weeks of non crash flying:
Crash resistance and improved flight.
Metal Swash $12
Stronger Frame $12
Stronger Main Shaft $6.99
Stronger feathering Shaft $4.99
3M Gyro Mounting Pad (3pcs/bag) $1.03
Now
I left out the servo gear strip issue. That can be address buy R&R servo gears or R&R servo's or Modify the servo horns.
What I am hoping for is Align or a 3rd party vendor to come out with metal gear or ceramic gear or Align black torque tube drive gear type of Servo's.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lol, yes, trex 150 was what I was getting at.. I have an mcpx v2... Had great luck with it. Time for an upgrade, and I'm on the fence between mcpx bl and trex 150. Really, the only time I'm crashing the mcpx v2 is when the tail blows out, but even that I'm learning to compensate for. I like the idea of the trex 150, but really don't want to have to a pile of expensive upgrades, or bench time repairing it. Everything you guys are talking about is ok. Is there a newest version I need to look for? How do you know it's the newest version?
Old 03-02-2014, 08:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
DPW
Registered Users

Exclamation V2 is all you can buy now

Quote:
Is there a newest version I need to look for? How do you know it's the newest version?
There is no official V1 V2 or part number change. All the V1 or first batch are gone. The Align 150 was sold out for a few weeks so original stock was eliminated.
Align in those weeks changed the material from ABS to PA66 (Nylon) which fixed all issues. There was also some assembly issues on first batch V1.
I was first batch and it cost me
Metal Swashplate w/ Free Frame H15H008XX $21.99
Metal Tail Motor Mount - H15T003XX $11.99
to upgrade my 150 way way above whats called V2 kit.
So
If you can even buy a first batch V1 which I doubt you can. Then its a simple $33.98 upgrade to bring your 150 way way beyond the V2 kit.
How to tell first batch V1 from V2:
Align printed the letter A on frame swash and T motor mount.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

The performance booster frame that comes free with the metal swash... Is it the same as the 'a' frame?
Old 03-02-2014, 12:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
DPW
Registered Users

Quote:
The performance booster frame that comes free with the metal swash... Is it the same as the 'a' frame?
No
All frames with an A printed on them are PA66 (Nylon)
But
Performance Booster (reinforced frame) is improved and is a better frame than a V2 kit or a frame with an A printed on the frame.
The Performance Booster (reinforced frame)
Has an A printed on it
Has larger stiffeners under the MRS
Is thicker under M motor
Has extra stiffeners in the tail area.
Thicker and added stiffeners means less flex better MRS performance improved flight.
Now
I have not seen the PB frame or Mtl swash sold separately. Which is a good thing. The PB frame is free with a Mtl swash buy.

Last edited by DPW; 03-03-2014 at 01:10 PM..
DPW is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2014, 06:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have heat a lot about how easy the T150 breaks; but my experience has been just the opposite. In several months of flying I have just replaced the main shaft and feathering shaft, it took about 5 minutes. Just last week I lost control, went to throttle hold and picked up the heli undamaged, then I mowed grass inverted and hit the ground inverted, again, no damage and last, run out of batteries. 3 chrashes and no damage. Heli must be tough to take that abuse.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

By the way, I have all recommended parts to improve the heli once it breaks; but it seems the out of the box model works real well.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Kissed the dirt inverted moving forward at good speed on Sunday, no damage. I was flying on grass; but I was expecting at least the feathering shaft to get damage. Amazing little bird.....
Old 07-17-2014, 12:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Mine flies great out of the box but I had to add foam pad and level the mrs unit
Old 07-18-2014, 06:18 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

This 150 has taken lots of abused and still going strong. Hit the dirt twice today, no damage.
The other thing is that after flying at the speed of the 150 , flying my other helis is like cruising. Flying the 150 is like driving a Porshe. It keep you on your toes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in