Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > New Member Section

New Member Section If you are new to HF, please tell us a little bit about yourself. What Helis do you fly? You will find our community very friendly, why not break the ice and introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2011, 09:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Wichita Kansas!

Hi all,

New to helifreak and wanted to introduce myself! A little back history... flew planes of all sorts about 10 years ago. Also had a old (even at that time) hirobo .50 size I picked up at an RC auction. Nobody else in the Nebraska panhandle flew choppers at that time, so I was pretty much on my own. It may have been my setup, or maybe just me, but talk about a jumpy machine! It seemed at the time that one click of throttle/collective made the difference between light on the skids and rocketing upward at an alarming rate (at least for an always broke highschool kid). Anyways, never crashed, but also never got it figured out either. Got busy with other things, and the RC hobby went to the wayside with school, then work and a family.

Back to present. Xmas this year, my 6 year old son and I were both given syma S107s by the inlaws. We have a great time flying from one landing pad to the next around the house and that got me thinking... which can be dangerous to my budget. Plus, as a mechanical engineer by trade, mechanisms with high partcount and complexity are impossible to resist! Anyways, ended up picking up a blade 400 RTF and have been loving it! Have a pretty good handle on tail-in hover, and am starting to try to wire m brain to comprehend other orientations. Not sure if its just that much easier to fly than the hirobo from the past, but things just clicked. My FIRST flight, I was able to sustain a good 12" hover for a mintute or so. Wow... I NEVER could do that with the Hirobo and I had quite a few hours on that thing!

Anways, been trying to fly every day and am really looking forward to the day when I can start doing some foward flight!

Anyone on here in the Wichita area?

~Clark
millertime_r6 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2011, 11:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default hi

Hi, welcome to the freaks. I'm quite new also... a few early pointers given to me were....
Get some distance away from the ground, shoulder high.. less "dirty air " from the ground effect also you get a second or two more to correct.
Hover away from yourself, accidents happen so quickly and we all seem to stand only 10ft from our flying lawnmower.
Also the Phoenix Sim has been a fantastic tool for training the grey matter.
Thats the boring stuff.. Have you checked out Finless Bob's 101 set up videos? these are great .

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=41692

hope your hovering continues to improve
Good luck
John.
nobbyjay is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2011, 11:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default oops

also post for local freaks in the main forums ...you will get better coverage
nobbyjay is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2011, 12:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cool! Thanks for the info. Ill check it out.

In transitioning from tail-in I am torn between sholder high (or higher) clean air and a chance to recover on my own, vs on the deck and use the training gear if things start to get out of hand. Anyone use the 2 mistake high method? Maybe a blend once I get LHS and RHS facing me down move up higher for the final 90 degrees?

I have been using the "free sim" with my 10 year old Dave Brown "Sim Star" Window 95 sim controller. Its actually hard to find a oldschool joystick port on a computer now days!

I will try the main forum to try to locate some locals. Im sure a little first person constructive criticism would do me some good.

Thanks,
Clark
millertime_r6 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2014, 05:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Greetings from Kansas

Hello,

I am also from Kansas (pratt). Im new here and to the hobby.
Bought a falcon 40 and crashed it! Pleased to meet you! Honestly i am
hoping to find someone to teach me a few things.

Darrell
mewrongway is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in