Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Miniature Aircraft Helicopters > MA Glow

MA Glow Miniature Aircraft Glow Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2004, 01:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 601 gyro, tempest problem

Hi. I just finished my tempest fai, ys 91 engine, hatori pipe, 9252 servos, pcm receiver, no governor, 601 gyro, 690 saab.
After 10+ flights, 15% nitro, we haven`t been able to have a stable (heading hold) hover. Every 2/3 seconds, the tail has a some swapping, about 1 second duration and 20/30 degrees wide.
We have change sensitivity at gyro and on the tx and the problem continue.
At the end, we also change the 601 gyro for another one, but the problem is still there.
We ask national champion, Mr. Zigras for a mechanical chek up and everything seems perfect.

Thank you, Marcelo
budokan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2004, 02:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hi Marcelo,

Did Zigras fly it and confirm that the engine was running correctly? I have seen YS 80 and 91s that would not run to great on less then 20% nitro. Also check that the tail grip thrust bearings are installed correctly, smaller I.D. race closer to the nut. Tie the Sensor down tight with a Velcro strap, and check to see that the sensor tape is not torn or loose. If this checks out then try another servo, the 9251 has been known to do its own thing when it’s on its way out, I suppose your servo is new but you never know. Beyond this it would be likely impossible to diagnose without inspecting it in person.
Russ McC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2004, 10:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hi Russ.
Yes Zigras flew it and said engine looked ok.
We change to 30 nitro and had the same problem.
I will recheck the tail bearings,
I am using nmh 3700, 5 pack batt with regulator. Some one told me that 601 don`t work ok with nmh... Do you know something in this matter?
I will try with nc 4 batt anyway, just in case... and let you know.
Thank you,

Marcelo
Old 09-13-2004, 01:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

Don’t know what nmh would have to do with it. Your regulated voltage should be 5.1v. What is yours?
Russ McC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2004, 10:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
I am using nmh 3700, 5 pack batt with regulator. Some one told me that 601 don`t work ok with nmh... Do you know something in this matter?
The GY 601 does not know what type of battery is powering it. With the GY 601 I have used nicad, nimh, and now Li-ion batteries.

Now if that is a 2700 nimh pack instead of a 3700 nimh pack, that may be your problem. The 2700 A cell size packs can not deliver enough power when the current demand is high. I used the 2700 mah nimh packs for about 6 months and they would send the receiver into battery failsafe on about the 3rd flight. After this happened about the 3rd or 4th time and I figured out it was the battery, I switched to Li-Ion.

David
DavidH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2004, 08:15 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ McC
Don’t know what nmh would have to do with it. Your regulated voltage should be 5.1v. What is yours?
HI. voltage regulator, 5.2 V
Old 09-15-2004, 08:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ McC
Hi Marcelo,

Did Zigras fly it and confirm that the engine was running correctly? I have seen YS 80 and 91s that would not run to great on less then 20% nitro. Also check that the tail grip thrust bearings are installed correctly, smaller I.D. race closer to the nut. Tie the Sensor down tight with a Velcro strap, and check to see that the sensor tape is not torn or loose. If this checks out then try another servo, the 9251 has been known to do its own thing when it’s on its way out, I suppose your servo is new but you never know. Beyond this it would be likely impossible to diagnose without inspecting it in person.
Hi. Tail bearings cheked and are ok.
Gyro and servo changed and problem continue.
Thank you.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had a similar problem with the 601 in my Latest Predator. Tail would kick 10 degrees or so at random times, no matter what orientation. I chased the auto hub, tail drive etc, even changed the engine to a YS 91 from OS 91 .
The problem ? I had mounted the 601 sensor with thin foam tap, single layer, and strapped it down with velcro just as I was told at the 3D school.
My last fix was to install the sensor with the factory Futaba supplied tape, 2 layers, with the metal plate between the layers. no velcro strap. Problem fixed, never had problem since.
Not to contradict the experts but thats what worked for me.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

Default gyro problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJestico
I had a similar problem with the 601 in my Latest Predator. Tail would kick 10 degrees or so at random times, no matter what orientation. I chased the auto hub, tail drive etc, even changed the engine to a YS 91 from OS 91 .
The problem ? I had mounted the 601 sensor with thin foam tap, single layer, and strapped it down with velcro just as I was told at the 3D school.
My last fix was to install the sensor with the factory Futaba supplied tape, 2 layers, with the metal plate between the layers. no velcro strap. Problem fixed, never had problem since.
Hi GJestico.
I will change the tapes. They are not the originals, and seems too thin.
I will let you know.
Thanks
Marcelo
Old 09-21-2004, 12:04 AM   #10 (permalink)

Default gyro problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJestico
Thank you!!!
Did the replacement of the tape and... PERFECT!!!!
6 tanks on sunday and tail holds like a rock
Thanks again,
Marcelo
Old 09-21-2004, 04:29 AM   #11 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Excellent!!! Glad to hear you got it sorted out!! Great advice GJestico!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in