Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2010, 02:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location
Default Finless Bob's HeliFreak Flight Challenge #2

OK so if you demonstrated hover orientation skills in challenge #1 then in my opinion this is the next step. Moving into 3D space. That is left, right and depth. This simple routine of "flying the box" both ways around builds on showing your hover control side in and nose in. The difference now is your moving through 3D space and showing you have those orientation skills on your left and right sides as well as close in and farther away. This practice will help you move farther to figure 8's and other maneuvers where orientation skills on both sides of you and either direction WILL be very important later.

So challenge #2 is flying the box both directions. Make yourself a decent sized box. While my video shows a clear box to follow you can use sticks, cones, or whatever to mark the 4 corners of your imaginary box. You do need at least the 4 corners defined so you can try to be consistent in when to turn and box size, and to show people watching that your on the box outline.

Don't make the box too small! Thats cheating!. The idea behind the box is to make sure you have a good distance on both your left and right sides. To small a box puts the heli too close to center which is much easier than farther away on each side of you. I would say the box I am flying in my video is about as small as you want to go.

Do not make the box too big either! If your box is huge then you can fly fast around it. The point here is to fly SLOW showing you have control and orientation. Flying fast is much easier than slow and allows mistakes or orientation issues to not show up. Keep it slow and in control

OK so BONUS POINTS..... Stop at each corner and do a slow piro in either direction you want. If I get time I will shoot a video of myself going for the bonus points

Here is the idea. This was shot of me flying my 250 sometime last year as I was trying to challenge my local guys to this challenge. They made me show I could do it first ...... I know some may think this is easy and maybe it is but trust I think this is just as challenging as the hover orientation work! SLOW makes it hard!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0vE4RJkuqw[/ame]
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2010, 03:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

My HF Map location

I need to fix my heli quick!!!
Old 11-11-2010, 03:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'll have to find some flat ground to fly over if I plan on setting markers up.

That and the weather needs to get a little more above the freezing mark.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Count me in!
Old 11-11-2010, 04:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Ok, I said to hell with the cold. Here's my not so great attempt taken by my not so great videographer (wife).
I decided to use trees to mark the bondaries instead of cones. If the weather ever decides to get better I'll go someplace flat and try another a bit lower.
This isn't as easy as I thought it would be. Certainly shows me my strong points as well as my weak points. I didn't go for the bonus points simply because I didn't want to take a chance of a piro drift into a treetop.
Good challenge. Gives me one more thing to work on now instead of flying around willy nilly.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XuFATXr5iQ[/ame]
Old 11-11-2010, 04:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Is part of the video missing? I only saw one direction around then it cut out? What's there looks pretty good though!

Bob
Old 11-11-2010, 05:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post
Is part of the video missing? I only saw one direction around then it cut out? What's there looks pretty good though!

Bob
edit so every one understands what i ment

well bob if the heli was supposed to fly around the box backwards than part of your video is missing, the guy said to go backwards, i never saw the heli fly around the box backwards so it looks like part of your video may be missing.

original post

yes it is missing,

the backwards part scares me lol i guess if i got high up it would not be bad. only used to flying backwards when i am bringing the heli back to me when i want to land it..

Blade 180 CFX, Sold the rest of my stuff, I dont really fly all that often any more.

Last edited by dannylightning; 11-12-2010 at 07:47 AM..
dannylightning is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2010, 05:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry227 View Post
Ok, I said to hell with the cold. Here's my not so great attempt taken by my not so great videographer (wife).
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannylightning View Post
yes it is missing,

the backwards part scares me lol i guess if i got high up it would not be bad. only used to flying backwards when i am bringing the heli back to me when i want to land it..
? Both you and Larry227 are saying me for the same video.. Do you post as 2 different users?
RĒzĒ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2010, 05:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by RĒzĒ View Post
? Both you and Larry227 are saying me for the same video.. Do you post as 2 different users?
lol, i am saying that trying to fly backwards in some orientations scares me,

i am guessing some how you got the idea that i was saying a video that has been posted is mine, i have absolutely no clue how you could have possible thought that.

after setting there and trying to figure out what you were saying i am guessing that is what you are trying to say

Blade 180 CFX, Sold the rest of my stuff, I dont really fly all that often any more.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

Oh sorry. Since you answered Bob's question about the video as if was yours, and you were the one flying, somehow that made me think that was your video. Mea Culpa
RĒzĒ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2010, 05:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by RĒzĒ View Post
Oh sorry. Since you answered Bob's question about the video as if you were the one flying, somehow that made me think that was your video. Mea Culpa
lol, its cool' i was just talking but not about a video lol

Old 11-11-2010, 05:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Danny, why are you speaking for Larry? You responded as if you posted the video?

This is what RaZa is saying to you.

Bob
Old 11-11-2010, 06:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Danny, why are you speaking for Larry? You responded as if you posted the video?

This is what RaZa is saying to you.

Bob
umm, your new challenge says to fly around the square backwards. i said the backwards part scares me. not exactly sure why either of you would think i was speaking for larry cus i said the backwards part scares me and it said maybe if i did it higher it would not be so scary to try it.

how is that speaking for Larry.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:06 PM   #14 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Because Larry posted a video trying challenge #2. His video did not complete the request for the challenge as it was missing clockwise and counter-clockwise directions. There was nothing about backwards. But when I asked him WHY the video seemed to be missing both directions, YOU responded as if it was you that was flying?

Look at the thread. Posts #5 is the video. Post #6 is me asking Larry about the video. Post #7 is you responding as if you were flying and it was your video. That is why both RaZa and I are confused. You haven't even posted a video for #2 but responded like you have?

Anyway, lack of communication. I am going to check a few things but lets get back on topic.

Bob
Old 11-11-2010, 06:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

O now i get it, bob asked a question, i thought he was taking about his video, he said he thought it looked like he only the heli going forwards, well that is all i saw in bobs video so i was assuming there was suposed to be a guy flying backwards around the square in bobs video.

i thought he was asking if we saw the guy flying around backwards in his video and i did not so i thought that part must have been missing from bobs video

Old 11-11-2010, 06:08 PM   #16 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Danny, there is no backwards flying requests in challenge #2. That will be later challenges. Pay attention son ....

Bob
Old 11-11-2010, 06:11 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Danny, there is no backwards flying requests in challenge #2. That will be later challenges. Pay attention son ....

Bob

i heard the guy say something about backwards in the video and than it cut off. i thought he was going to fly around the box backwards. man i feel dumb..

it says to go both directions, i guess when i heard the guy say now backwards or what ever, i thought that the other direction was backwards, lol

Sunday when we go flying ill set up some markers and give this a go. i think it will be easier than the first challenge but i guess i will find out.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:32 PM   #18 (permalink)

My HF Map location

No IP matches.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:53 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

wow, I take a nap and wake up to find I'm danny? No offense danny but I like being me.

I can assure everyone that's not the case. Post #7 seemed odd to me too and I had to read it twice. I can only assume when he said "yes it's missing" he was stating that since he obviously didn't see me doing it backwards then "yes, it's missing." Then he went on to speak about his own experience with backwards flight. I can certainly see where it gave everyone the impression that he was speaking as if he were me. Heck it looked that way to me too.

Anyways I'll give the same answer. Yes it's missing due to the fact that I forgot to fly the box in the other direction. I was concentrating so hard on just doing one good circuit I totaly forgot to turn aorund and do it the other direction. Now I feel silly.
I'll get a new video this weekend and make sure I do both directions.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:16 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Danny thought Finless asked if WE (i.e. other readers) could see Larry's video. Based on that statement he responded "yes it is missing". They are clearly different people, hence no IP match, but I guess that is because I always see Danny in the SR forum. So to sum up all of these feelings for everyone H::
Prôtos 700
Xtreme-Production
SYMAWD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in