Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Outrage Velocity 90 Nitro

Outrage Velocity 90 Nitro Outrage Velocity 90 Nitro Helicopter Factory Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2011, 02:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Post Lost the tail!!!!

Third time i lose my tail on the velocity 90. WHY?????? Before i moved to outrage, i never faced such issues with TREX''s. Outrage heli's are a blast,however 3 exact issues in no time is starting to get on my nerves.

Any suggestions??

Wael
wael is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2011, 03:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

tail servo slipping on tail boon.
cboo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2011, 03:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboo View Post
tail servo slipping on tail boon.
What do you mean tail servo slipping on tail boom??
Old 12-06-2011, 03:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by wael View Post
What do you mean tail servo slipping on tail boom??
I think he is looking for what caused the "Lost the tail". Your first post did explain what went wrong.

It would help if you would tell us what happened or what broke.

Craig

T-Rex 600N | T-Rex 500 ESP | T-Rex 500 GF | T-Rex 250 (Love this little bird) | 22 year old Shuttle ZXX
Ozz58 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2011, 03:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Can you be more specific? Did a gear strip? Did you just loose tail control? Did something snap? Or did you literally lose the entire tail boom???

You know, if a specific problem keeps happening to me over and over I usually try to look at other possibilities as to the ‘why’, like maybe something I was doing wrong. From my experience, most of the time this was the case. I have blown my share of ESC’s and destroyed many gears and motors due to dumb mistakes I made over the years (I learned a lot from my RC car days)… but this may not be the case here…. Which is where being more specific comes in.
BaconRaygun is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2011, 03:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

"You know, if a specific problem keeps happening to me over and over I usually try to look at other possibilities as to the ‘why’, like maybe something I was doing wrong. From my experience, most of the time this was the case."

Vicovaludemero,

You are a wise individual-most people don't do this.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicovaludemero View Post
Can you be more specific? Did a gear strip? Did you just loose tail control? Did something snap? Or did you literally lose the entire tail boom???

You know, if a specific problem keeps happening to me over and over I usually try to look at other possibilities as to the ‘why’, like maybe something I was doing wrong. From my experience, most of the time this was the case. I have blown my share of ESC’s and destroyed many gears and motors due to dumb mistakes I made over the years (I learned a lot from my RC car days)… but this may not be the case here…. Which is where being more specific comes in.
I was in a hover position when the tail started spinning. Gears were not striped when checked.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

So what caused it to start spinning?
Spektrum DX8
Inverse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2011, 04:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I am puzzled about the description what happened.
So TT gear all fine and heli starts spinning in hover.
First thought would be that possibly it is an assembly issue where the tail boom and/or tail case is not fully pushed in and the TT might slip out of the gear. Loosen all screws and check if it really is pushed all the way in.
If it is all the way in and running a FB version try out another gyro. In case of a FBL version you may want to check settings o FBl system and try another unit there too. Makes sure the gain is setup right.
im4711 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2011, 05:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverse View Post
So what caused it to start spinning?
I don't know!!
Old 12-07-2011, 05:32 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

[QUOTE=im4711;3451546]I am puzzled about the description what happened.
So TT gear all fine and heli starts spinning in hover.
First thought would be that possibly it is an assembly issue where the tail boom and/or tail case is not fully pushed in and the TT might slip out of the gear. Loosen all screws and check if it really is pushed all the way in.
If it is all the way in and running a FB version try out another gyro. In case of a FBL version you may want to check settings o FBl system and try another unit there too. Makes sure the gain is setup right.[/QUOTE

Its impossible for the boom to slip out since i have inserted an additional screw in to the frame and into boom for extra support. In addition i mark a line on the boom of all my helis to make sure that there is no play in which i always check before every flight. What about the GYRO?? What the reason for trying another one?
Old 12-07-2011, 09:04 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

So you do not see anything mechanical that got loose? Maybe the screw on the servo horn is loose allowing the horn to slip in its spline?

How about binding? Could be a binding issue where the servo eventually overheats, causing it to perform normally at first, then fail.
BaconRaygun is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2011, 12:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well if the is no mechanical issue it only could be related to the electronics since if all gear sets are in good shape and the heli really starts spinning while you hover it does seem to get some wrong input. Check the wires for gyro or FBL system (depending on what you have).
If one of the signal wires insulation is damaged you might get a faulty signal.
Also I suggest in order to avoid lots of guessing what might be wrong to get some pictures that show the setup and actually a video sequence about what happens.
E.a is it simply some kicking out of the tail while in the wind or is the tail shaking violently or does the heli start doing piruetting all by itself .... It really is not much information other than you told us all is in good mechanical order. So maybe you can provide some more detailed infomration or ideal a video sequence to show what the heli does. That way it would be easier to help.
im4711 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2011, 07:26 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Check the spline gears on the TT. Some of the early models had very small grub screws that were notorious for backing out, even with some red loc-tite love. If the gears are fine and the servo isn't dead, I'd put my money on that. I always ran a bit of shrink tube over the mushroom head screws after loc-tite. Now the new design with a lock nut and full through bolt is pretty bullet proof.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi,

maybe, just check your tail servo wires, inside the servo casing, it can happen that the wires solders get weak and this causes, with vibrations, the servo to stop responding sometimes for a small moment, sometimes till crash, and servo starts to work again when checking so it's very hard to find the problem..

If the tail starts to spin, if it is counter clockwise ( on a clockwise direction main rotor), it's more likely a mechanical failure on gears / shafts in 70% of the cases, electronics beeing involved later. If it is clockwise, it will be more likely an electronic problem ( servo going to end point or something giving pitch to the tail).

Best regards,
Fabien
Fabien is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2012, 03:04 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Probably you had the torque tube screws off or the torque tube was snaped...or maybe you had the boom not completly inserted in the boom holder..
Old 01-22-2012, 12:08 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

shake the heli and see if you hear something rattling around in the tail boom, like set screws for the torque tube.
Kontronik Motor&ESC
memheli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2012, 02:29 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

The small Screw that holds the tail gear on to the spindle cracked and led the tail to spin.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:31 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

glad you got it figured out.
Kontronik Motor&ESC
memheli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in