Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Thunder Tiger Electric Helis > Titan X50E

Titan X50E Thunder Tiger Titan X50E Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 04:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Need advice on X50e tail setup!

I have completed my X50e build and have test flown several times, but have a issue I would i would like some feedback on. I am running a 3GX with a Ds650 tail servo. I have the control horn ball set at 13mm from the centerline of the servo. I have noticed that no matter how low I set the tail gain, I am still getting oscillations back in forth. I assume that means the mechanical gain is too high, however if I go one hole closer to the servo, I do not get the full travel of the tail slider. It is approximately 1/8" short on either side. Is this OK? Based upon the amount of pitch at full travel, I would imagine the tail blades would stall, but wanted to get feedback from other X50e builds. P.S. I have a Dx7s and have gone as low as 15 on the gain in the Tx. Of course 0 is when it will switch over to rate mode so it must be a mechanical gain issue or my 3GX may have an issue.
ghenders is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2012, 05:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

My HF Map location

13mm is normal. Going in another hole and limiting your travel as a result is NOT something you should do. The wag must be caused by something else. Make sure there is no binding anywhere in the linkage.

Sent from my phone
Old 10-05-2012, 06:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thanks Bob. Everything is smooth as silk from one end to another. I read on RunRyder someone who had the same issue and also had a Ds650 tail servo. He replaced it with a BLS251 and immediately solved the problem. My Ds650 is brand new but maybe there is an issue with it?? I will take another look at the tail and see if I can pinpoint any issues or slack. Initially the tail was slowly moving to the right, so I adjusted the rudder pushrod to give it a little more pitch on center. However, I have not been able to resolve the wag no matter how little gain I run in the Tx. I am also contemplating knocking the voltage down from 6v to 5v to see if that has any impact on the wag. Currenlty everything is regulated at 6v for both cyclic and rudder.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Checked over the tail rotor assembly and could not find anything out of spec. I knocked the voltage down to 5.1v from 6.0v which I doubt will have any impact (although it will reduce the speed & torque output) but I am running out of other ideas here other then replacing the servo. Here are a few pictures of my setup. Any other ideas here on what I should try as next steps?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	X50e Ds650.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	355264   Click image for larger version

Name:	X50e tail pic.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	355265  
Old 10-05-2012, 08:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I think I found it! I was double checking the Tx - Gyro menu and discovered that I had the Channel set to "Gear" versus "Aux2". It is dark in GA now so will not be able to test it, but I would imagine this will resolve the problem since the 3GX was not receiving any gain changes from the Tx since it was set to the gear channel. I will report back if my tail issue is resolved but I would be real surprised if this did not solve it. Thanks
Old 10-06-2012, 05:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Problem Solved (note to self - remember to check all settings in Tx before maiden flight)! Flys incredibly smooth & fast and MUCH more visible in the air then a Mini Titan. There was a pretty good wind today and the X50e just didn't care! Very high speed machine. I think I am in love!
Old 10-06-2012, 06:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Nice to hear! I'd have one of those if it was belt drive. Have fun with it.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks Bob. This is my 1st torque tube heli so time will tell if I am a fan or a hater. I put some yellow pool noodle floats on the skids to get the tail a little higher in the air. The tail fin does a pretty good job of keeping the tail rotor safe and the torque tube gear setup is undoubtedly more efficient then belt. We will see how it holds up.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghenders View Post
SNIP
and the torque tube gear setup is undoubtedly more efficient then belt. We will see how it holds up.
There's a huge debate on that. I won't get into it. The X50B I flew earlier this year had a very efficient belt drive system. The 6HV has an efficient system as well. I've had great experiences with TT's on the Velocity 50 and T-Rex 600 I had before that.

I haven't heard of anything bad about the gears on the X50. Keep us posted on how the bird works for you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in