Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 600 Class Electric Helicopters

600 Class Electric Helicopters 600 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2014, 08:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default CC BEC pro or RX pack

Ok guys I was going to use my CC bec pro its a Ver2 model but its new.

Using DS610's and a DS650 on the tail
Align 600mx 510kv
2 -6s 2700mah packs making 12s
CC ice2 80HV esc
Ar8000 with sat
Tarot / Align 600cf with HK side frames

Should I use the BEC or should I use a RX pack like a LiFe pack ?

MGPTWEGB is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2014, 04:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

You will get several different reasons to run it one way or another. It will ultimately be your decision. I have recently just finished my first 600 heli and I decided to go with the bec pro. I wired it in on only one flight pack as suggested. I have close the same setup as you .I personally liked not having to worry about charging another battery. You will have to make the decision on what you think is the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NC Hillbilly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2014, 04:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

That is a question often asked and usually comes down to the supply voltage required or suitable for the various components you are running primarily. The only advantage I can see, and thus my preference, in using a BEC is that the RX supply is regulated and stays constant and doesn't draw down as the pack goes low. The choice whether to use a 2S LIPO or tap of the flight pack is down to the type of BEC being used (HV or STD). Hope this helps.
pril250 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2014, 06:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

As NC Hillbilly said earlier you will get various answers and reasons for that. I personally fly all my 600 and larger with 2S LiPo just to be on a safe side. The flight packs are OK and I fly scale to mild sport... I get 7 min flights (using 4000 Mah packs) on my 600 PRO and I still have plenty of power just in case... I could fly off the flight pack but I just prefer to have my electronics functional without the power being supplied to my motor.

Trust me charging two (or more) packs is not a nuisance. Just get it into your preflight prep routine and you will be fine. A fully charged 2S pack will suffice for 4 to 5 flights for sure. I never stretched this cycle....

the choice though is up to you.

gh
goodhunting is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2014, 07:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, I forgot to mention the fact that it is convenient and useful having a separate power source to the electronics without power to the motor. This allows for a safe way for setting up and testing the heli.
pril250 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2014, 09:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by pril250 View Post
Yes, I forgot to mention the fact that it is convenient and useful having a separate power source to the electronics without power to the motor. This allows for a safe way for setting up and testing the heli.

Good point! I just use my align regulator and a 2s lipo to plug into my receivers for that.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Or simply use another connector between the bec and battery. Makes life easy.

Each option can have failures, pros and cons. Pick whichever is easiest for you.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Using a LiPo direct to the servos is asking for failure. The LiPo voltage is too high for the 6v rated servos. Best case is the servo smokes when you power up. Worst case is it fails in the middle of a flight.

Using a LiFe direct to the servos is a good option. LiFe has lower voltage that the LiPo and does not put undue stress on the 6v rated servos.

The CC BEC Pro 20 is okay. I had 2 fail on me in the past due to wires breaking off. But, I think they have that under control now.
If you run a Y-cable for your two 6S packs to form a 12S pack, you can add a Deans connector to one of the EC5 battery connectors and run the BEC Pro 20 on a 6S pack.
This allows you to boot up the flight pack and run all your pre-flight tests without accidentally arming the motor.

Another alternative is the Scott Grey Reactor HVX or X2. These require a 2S to 4S flight battery. I use these on my 600n and E and my 700N.
ticedoff8 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2014, 06:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I have a CC Pro bec Rev2 .... also have a Align RCE-B6X both are new.

Ok if I use the CC pro BEC 1) I get power from one 6s pack then run the two output to the AR800

If I get a 2 cell LiPo or LiFe pack I could run it though the RCE-B6X to the AR8000. But the Align unit only has one output so that gives me a Max of 10maps due to the plug? Is this right ?

Or should I get a better regulator to run a 2 cell LiPo or LiFe pack.

Its starting to look like I'll use the cc pro Bec

Old 10-17-2014, 06:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you run the bec you can get around 13 amps off of the single 6s pack. I think the align regulator can only give 6 amps.

Old 10-18-2014, 05:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

On the CC BEC Pro 20:
No matter the input voltage, the momentary peak (a spike) is 20A.
As the input voltage goes UP, the continuous output current goes DOWN.

The easiest explanation is that the difference between the input voltage and the output voltage is converted to heat. And, the maximum rating on this unit is 235W

If the input is at 24v, and output at 6v, there is 16v difference and it can deliver more continuous current and stay within the 235W rating
If the input is 48v and the output is a 6v, there is less continious current to keep within the 235W limit.

From the CC BEC Pro web page:
20 amps peak**
Max continuous current**
16 volts input = 15 amps
24 volts input = 13 amps
32 volts input = 11 amps
40 volts input = 9 amps
48 volts input = 8 amps

The RCE-B6X is a 6A unit:
You would only really need one lead. The typical "servo connector" is good for 4A or 5A continuous anyway. After that, there is a voltage drop across the pins. But, the RCE-B6X starts to sag as the current draw increases.

The "better regulator" would be the Scott Gray Reactor X2.
This allows allows a 2S LiPo and has 2 regulators. One regulator has a fixed output voltage (5.6v) at 5A to drive the receiver / FBL controller and tail servo. The 2nd regulator is adjustable to 6.8v at 10A to drive the 3 swash servos. It features a "fail safe" on/off switch
I run this on my 600N and 600E

The "best regulator" is the Scott Gray Reactor HVX
It is similar to the X2 but, more features.
It uses a 2S up to a 4S, but it is designed for a 3S LiPo input.
I run this on my 700N

The last is the straight LiFe battery with no regulator.

The CC BEC Pro 20 is a good regulator - now.
I know a lot of guys using it on electrics.
I would hook it to the "Y" leg to one of the 6S packs to get the highest continuous current draw and always use its 2 servo connectors
Old 10-18-2014, 07:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I was thinking of running a 3s 1300mah or a 4s 850mah pack into the CC pro bec....after I saw the spec's on the CC site.

16 volts input = 15 amps
24 volts input = 13 amps
32 volts input = 11 amps
40 volts input = 9 amps
48 volts input = 8 amps

The 4s pack would give me the best output would it not ?
Adding a RX pack is fine with me.

Want to say thanks for all the input guys.

Old 10-18-2014, 08:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

The typical use case for the CC BEC Pro is not to use it with a separate receiver pack at all, but to power it from the flight pack.

You can power it with a 4S pack. But, with a 12S power source, why bother?

Also, your 600N will never need 15A continuous current. If it did, something would be drastically wrong someplace.

Most people run the CC BEC Pro from the 12S batteries ESC connection.

My suggestion to tap off the 6S battery connection is only so that you can power up the flight system before you plug in the ESC.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:48 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413722767.859307.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	406.3 KB
ID:	543788
Exactly what I did. I hooked my cc pro to one flight pack and installed an ec2 connector to be able to unplug it. I also plug that ec5 connector in first and let my rx initialize.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in