Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Night Flying

Night Flying Night Flying Helis Info

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 09:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default L.E.D. strip lights, Who has bright lights with good color selection?

have used Common Sense RC lights, but they do not have a wide color selection.
I purchased some lights from Hobby Partz, and I will not even use those,
as they are not bright at all.

Thanks
KingJoe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2012, 09:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Im happy with my hobbypartz lights i have red,blue,white,green i have them on planes tho

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

Epoweredrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 10:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

This guy has pretty good prices and ships fast (when he checks his PM's). http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=207250 Drop my name if you end up getting some from him, I'll be doing a lot more buisness with him. The ones I got from him are plenty bright for a heli with night blades. Are you using enough volts with the strips you have? I've got a silly 4 meters wrapped around a 450 with a 2S 300mAh running 1M of regular LED strip and a 2S 800mAh running 3M of RGB LED strip (didn't want to cut it yet so just went crazy wrapping it around the heli ) Plenty bright, not just because there are so many each LED is also bright. the 800mAh will go about 2 hours before the blue starts to fade and the 300mAh is only good for about 45 min before the white fades. I'm pretty sure those LED strips can handle 12V also which would be even brighter.

Here is a couple pics one at night, one a little before dusk, and one with some backlighting. You can't see all the RGB strips because the controller mode was on color change flash and the pics only got one color but I just added a video to my blog if anyone wants to check it out https://www.helifreak.com/blogs/timtreo/1954-making-all-size-night-blades.html

BTW KingJoe I tried your advice with these blades in the pics and you are right they are just as bright with only LEDs on the top or bottom of each blade with longer battery time
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Night Blades pic1 night.jpg
Views:	622
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	354270   Click image for larger version

Name:	Night Blades pic 2 day.jpg
Views:	615
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	354271   Click image for larger version

Name:	Night Blades fire.jpg
Views:	626
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	354272  

Last edited by Timtreo; 10-02-2012 at 04:02 AM..
Timtreo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 10:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/f...rips-and-bars/

They have a lot more than just strip lights.
setishock is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 08:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned User

Hobbypartz has the best selection of colors and lengths including purple that actually looks purple, not UV. They stock the 10mm wide strips with a white pcb. Commonsenserc and BPhobbies also stock the same type of strips.

With hobbypartz you have to order more than $50 to get free shipping. Otherwise its like $10 just for shipping.

Other stores like hobbyking stock the 11mm wide copper finish pcb.

What you probably want to avoid is any led strips with that heavy waterproof silicone coating. Makes it hard to work with and adds unnecessary weight.

Sounds like you are using 2s which is not the full brightness for led strips.
kavic5150 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 05:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

i just used the common sense strips and plugged into balance adapter as suggested, they were nice and bright at the beginning of the flight but after about a minute and a half they started to fade in brightness. Any better ways to connect these. This is only on a 450 so dont have alot of room to spare.
Trex 700L NEO / Mikado Logo 600SX Vbar 6.0/ Trex 470LM NEO, Oxy 2 CC Talon 25 NEO, 450 pro vbar 6.0pro/ Trex 700n DFC OS105HZR, Velocity50 Vbar 6.0pro -Oxy 5 NEO-/Trex 600efl PRO (Night Flyer) vbar/CC HV80 ......ALL VBAR CONTROL
Stevin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 07:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned User

Sounds about right. A 3s flight pack under load can drop to 10.5v or so. At that voltage blue, purple and white leds will appear dim.

You might want to look around for a 3s 350mah pack. Dont worry too much about the C rating, 25C will be plenty. A fresh pack that size will run 2 meters of single chip (hobbyparts type) leds for a good 3 flights. After 100 flights or so it will be more like 2 flights.

Use your favorite small connector to wire these up. JST plugs are good since most 350mah packs already have them installed. I'm not a huge fan of the connectors that ship with led strips, they come apart fairly easily. Nothing like trying to bring a 450 in for a landing when you dont know which way the tail is pointing.
kavic5150 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in