Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2014, 04:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Thumbs or pinch

I know this has been asked millions of times, but which is better? I prefer thumbs but i have problems with them straying, for example if i apply rudder i accidentaly apply pos or neg pitch, or if im flipping over into inverted i apply aileron when pulling back. How hard is it to retrain your thumbs and fingers. I think pinching will help steady my thumbs?
24sevenslacker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2014, 05:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24sevenslacker View Post
I know this has been asked millions of times, but which is better? ....
Neither... Both... What do you mean by better. It's like asking if Coke or Pepsi is better. Top pilots in either camp (thumbs/pinch).

Quote:
...I prefer thumbs but i have problems with them straying, for example if i apply rudder i accidentaly apply pos or neg pitch, or if im flipping over into inverted i apply aileron when pulling back. How hard is it to retrain your thumbs and fingers. I think pinching will help steady my thumbs?
Expo is your friend. It can help with reducing centre sensitivity, On any of the 4 inputs (including collective which can be programmed by pitch curve).

End of the day it is muscle memory. You hands do what the brain trains. More consistent training work to eliminate this interaction. I use pinch (no strap), but this is more for finer control and consistent hand position than interaction elimination.

Switching between the control types is harder the longer you have been flying.

(Pinch is thumbs with assistance - Also heard some places call "pinch", "princess grip").
Old 01-05-2014, 05:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I know this has been asked millions of times, but which is better?
Yes it has.

Quote:
I prefer thumbs but i have problems with them straying, for example if i apply rudder i accidentaly apply pos or neg pitch, or if im flipping over into inverted i apply aileron when pulling back. How hard is it to retrain your thumbs and fingers. I think pinching will help steady my thumbs?
Short answer is that your thumbs will get more coordinated with practice. You could try pinching if you are still learning and see if it makes a difference.

The other thing might be to try adjusting the stick tensions, especially the throttle stick and the gimbal height. A lot of people prefer shorter sticks for thumbs. I keep mine kind of high, since my hands are larger. Most people like a smooth and low tension for the throttle, but it's all personal preference. Don't be afraid to experiment.

Last edited by mcarter76; 01-05-2014 at 05:51 PM.. Reason: typo
mcarter76 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2014, 10:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Thumbs or pinch

I switched from THUMBS to PINCH about a year back. The first few flights where a little strange and I limited my flights to simple circuits until I had the "feel" back. I've not looked back and as ArchmageAU has stated...much finer control and consistent results. At the end of the day there's no right way, just your way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-05-2014, 10:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I also fly thumbs. Someone not long ago got me to try just using pinch on the collective side and sure enough it does make a difference. Holding the radio with your hand your thumb does not make a natural straight up and down movement. I just change the way I hold the controller. We have just learned to compensate but i have been flying thumbs 25 years I don't have the patience to change now.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Re: Thumbs or pinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonixs View Post
I switched from THUMBS to PINCH about a year back. The first few flights where a little strange and I limited my flights to simple circuits until I had the "feel" back. I've not looked back and as ArchmageAU has stated...much finer control and consistent results. At the end of the day there's no right way, just your way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I did the exact same thing and the difference for was quite big especially in maneuvers that involve precise use of both aileron and elevator or transitioning from pos to neg collective with keeping a constant rudder input.
Before I switched both sticks to pinch I tried pinching only the collective and I was flying very well but pinching the other stick too felt more confortable and finally I could fly with relaxed fingers.
Try to experiment with thumbs and pinch or a combination of both on the SIM and see what you like the most. Everyone is different so there can be no best way to fly.

Sent from my Xperia SP using Tapatalk
Blade 450X
Heli.Maniac is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2014, 09:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I hear thumbers are faster in the cycilc inputs but less precise with that being said I fly with a guy that flys hybrid by pinching the collective/rudder stick and thumbs the cyclic
Me personally I cringe at the site of someone pinching
Kap'n Krunch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2014, 04:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

ive a suspicion thumbs only is ergonomically purer and more efficient due to the natural and precise swiveling action possible with thumbs unencumbered with any other digit in the way, and also the firm hold of the tx it allows. but you will get good at whaever method you use, even if pinching isn't as good theoretically.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageAU View Post
Neither... Both... What do you mean by better. It's like asking if Coke or Pepsi is better. Top pilots in either camp (thumbs/pinch).

Expo is your friend. It can help with reducing centre sensitivity, On any of the 4 inputs (including collective which can be programmed by pitch curve).

End of the day it is muscle memory. You hands do what the brain trains. More consistent training work to eliminate this interaction. I use pinch (no strap), but this is more for finer control and consistent hand position than interaction elimination.

Switching between the control types is harder the longer you have been flying.

(Pinch is thumbs with assistance - Also heard some places call "pinch", "princess grip").
Clearly Coke is better. Pepsi is disgusting.

But it sounds like some sim time is in order for the OP. Back in the day, I remember struggling with which way to go. I started out with THUMBS because that seemed more natural to me. My problem is that I didn't have the attention span to stick with the princess grip for long enough to see if that way was really "better". I'd go to the field, try it for a flight or two, but found myself gravitating back to thumbs by the end of the flight. At a certain point I stopped trying to "force" it, and just stuck to thumbs.

Having recently gotten into helis, I find myself sticking with thumbs.

Blade 450x V2, Nano CPx, 120SR, mCX2, Scout, DX6i. Just assume I have others, I probably won't update this every time I get a new heli... ;-)
jbrandt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2014, 03:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

First off, I completely agree with the statement about Coke :-)

I recall reading an article about it, and they strongly recommend the pinch method, as it's more precise.
Here is one link: http://www.rcflightschool.com/TransmitterHandling.pdf

I started thumbs, then after reading that article, decided to switch to pinch. It took some time, but now I feel very comfortable with it.

Another thing to consider is what is holding the transmitter ... with thumbs, you have an extra finger to operate switches and hold the TX. My solution was to get a tray such that the TX is always held in the same position, supported by the neck and not the hands.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm pretty weird. I pinch near center stick for the usual mellow stuff but when I go full deflection in any direction, I tend to lose the finger and go thumbs. As I get close to center again I go back to pinch.

I learned to use pinch to prevent over-controlling and keep it steady, but when I started getting aerobatic I guess I didn't feel like I could comfortably get enough throw with my finger on there without moving my whole hand and losing grip on the radio. I want to try using a neck strap more and use my hands less for holding the radio and more for the sticks and see if it helps me progress any faster, its just hard to do after almost 5 years of being committed to flying.

I do the same way with planes and helis.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD
corrosionate is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2014, 03:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have been flying thumbs. And the problem I'm having is I flew so much that I caused my fingers to lose skin and blister. Now they've callaced and thumbs sometimes slide of the sticks while piro flipping. But, I still honestly feel like I get better control with thumbs.
Wildcat1214 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2014, 05:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've seen incredibly precise control and hard smack from both styles.

Nick Maxwell - Pinch

Tareq Alsaadi - Thumb
Old 01-10-2014, 06:55 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

dont quote me on this but I think there might be more pros flying smack down with precision using thumbs

not that any of it really matters as long as ur having fun
Kap'n Krunch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2014, 03:22 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Im going to have a play on the sim today. See what it feels like
24sevenslacker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2014, 06:52 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've used thumbs from the get go. Since about Xmas my left thumb knuckle has developed a clunk when bending it at the knuckle. Just a little annoying at first but has gotten progressively worse where sometimes I have to use my other hand to straighten my thumb and hurts like hell. Only occasionally flying micros inside right now so not much of an issue. Hope it improves before spring when I want to get some time in on my new 500.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:59 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I started thumbs only on a small form tx and then transitioned to pinch ish when I got a bigger tx. I actually found I fly a hybrid. Pinch like hand position but my thumbs on the top of the stick and when I make larger movements I lift my finger. When I need the precision my finger is back on the stick. I do it automatically. No thought. Just my odd way of flying. I almost use my finger as a feeler for precise position reference.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:12 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Never mind. Read the article posted above. Apparently thumb on top and finger assist is the proper way to 'pinch'. I'm a pincher.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:54 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

I started as a thumber and was happy with it for about a year. I then just wanted to try "pinching" (thumb on top of sticks, fingers around the front) and at first I thought it felt so wierd and completely stupid... But after a couple of flights I quickly got used to it, and now I'm a happy pincher! It feels more "precise" for me, and I actually find it easier to remember the stick movements for a particular manover, wierd huh? I also feel that thumbing feels so strange now that I'm used to pinching, it feels like I'm holding a big play station controler and I'm just "wobbling" the sticks around.

Just do what you feel comfortable with, I sugest you give both technics a good amount of practice, because the one you felt was wierd at the start might actualy feel the best in the long run. Don't just say "I'm a thunder/pincher" as soon as you try one, give each technique a chance!

Hamish
Old 02-28-2014, 02:59 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I started with thumbs. Only been flying a couple weeks but by tightening my throttle up and some practice I can control the rudder without effecting collective. I've never had a problem with cyclic precision using thumbs.

I used to game though, so naturally that felt most natural when I first picked a tx up. I've tried pinch and it just feels really unnatural and I have less precision and control. Maybe it would improve with time but I think its best to use what feels natural for you.

Sent from my XT1028 using Tapatalk
tstivers is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in