Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

View Poll Results: How frequently do you have parts availability issues?
I rarely have issues getting all the parts I needed from one place 65 41.94%
I frequently have to order from multiple places to get all the parts I need 65 41.94%
I sometimes cannot get my parts in an acceptable time frame 10 6.45%
I frequently have to wait for backordered parts 7 4.52%
I have models down now because I can't get parts, or I had to custom make the parts myself 8 5.16%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2015, 11:54 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

It isn't the availability that gets me, it the shipping costs. I get frustrated paying $8 shipping when all I need is one $10 part. Even if I get two, that's still a big increase in cost.
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2015, 12:30 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

$8 shipping... but how much do you spend on gas on a trip to the LHS, plus how much is your time worth? The only upside to getting the part at the LHS is the instant gratification of it. It's a wash as far as I'm concerned.
Eric T is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2015, 12:34 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric T View Post
The only upside to getting the part at the LHS is the instant gratification of it.
And the ability to fondle other stuff!
R/C junkie for the past 25 years and counting...
kingmeow is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2015, 12:51 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkbird View Post
It isn't the availability that gets me, it the shipping costs. I get frustrated paying $8 shipping when all I need is one $10 part. Even if I get two, that's still a big increase in cost.
Could be worse - you could live in Canada and be ordering most stuff from the US!

Don't even get me started about how our low dollar has dramatically increased the costs of this hobby the last year or so.
Old 07-24-2015, 02:15 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

For me ordering domestic is only an option for one of my helis.
Mikado haev relativly OK part availability in Norway but Compass and KDS have non and i have to order parts abroad for those two helis.
Its OK as i at least have some unusual helis at our club.
Exo 500
Mr.Andersen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2015, 02:37 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric T View Post
$8 shipping... but how much do you spend on gas on a trip to the LHS, plus how much is your time worth? The only upside to getting the part at the LHS is the instant gratification of it. It's a wash as far as I'm concerned.
No kidding, my time is worth MUCH more than a drive.

My LHS has NOTHING worth fondling and they don't carry anything I could even use.
Old 07-24-2015, 02:44 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Since I got rid of my Thunder Tiger E700 I don't have any problems getting part. I own a KDS, Align and 2 Gauis. KDS sometimes doesn't have parts, but 3 other hobby shops carry their parts.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:16 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

The only heli I've had issues with is my compass warp 360 which is currently down Since I had to order from 4 different Hobbie shops, 2 of which are over seas.
MSH USA team pilot
01ws666 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2015, 08:14 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Parts availability is never an issue. Helis are in sig below.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:37 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

No concern for my helis, helidirect is my Lhs so parts are easy to pickup!
CrashNburn420 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2015, 03:09 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

The biggest thing I've noticed is that usually more availability gives you options to find better deals. For my raptor e550, I'm usually stuck with paying full msrp plus crazy shipping from the one online shop that carries it.
Aerotec88 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2015, 12:32 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have owned and flown Gaui helicopters for about 7 years now. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would rate Gaui parts support in North America at around a 3 to 4.

Although Gaui has now discontinued parts support for their Hurricane series helicopters, which I own 7 of, most parts were always 'out-of-stock' even when the models were still current. I don't know if the problem was with Gaui or Empire Hobby, the N.A. distributor so I won't place blame, but parts support left a lot to be desired.

There were quite a few dealers, like GrandRC, Readyheli, Helidirect, RCDumbthumbs, and Heliflightcenter, but many common parts were always out of stock at all of them.

My last helicopter model purchased was an Align btw........And my first Align helicopter.

I don't need the latest and greatest. I just need more time to fly what I have.
Align 450 Sport V2, Gaui 200, Gaui 425 x 2, "HeadHunter 500, Gaui 550, all Flybar'd

Jerrymac is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2015, 02:15 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Most exotic I ever owned was the Compass 6HV, and even then there where no problems getting parts although I did planned ahead with some parts on that one.

Nowadays with very mainstream helicopters I don't carry a single spare. And I don't have a problem although I rarely need a spare part. I also have a few helicopters I like so in the case of one being down for a couple of weeks there really is no problem.
Only the ground is the limit!
LinusLarsson is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2015, 05:09 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

For us here in Mexico is not easy to get some spares, most of them you have to order overseas paying some times the same money for shippment as the spare cost itself. So when we get a model we have to keep in mind asking for the most posible parts your gonna need so you can fly after a crash as soon as posible, otherwise wait, wait and wait. Local hobbyshops have not always what you need and if so parts are expensive.
quebuenman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2015, 09:20 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't have a LHS that stocks much. I can get glue, occassionally maybe a part for a Blade micro. Not even much plane stuff. Most everything I've ever needed is easily found online though.

I have 2 Raptor Titans, and those I'm starting to worry about since TT doesn't do nitro anymore. I've already had to order parts from overseas in the past, and a even my U.S. sources are mostly gone now. Maybe have to convert one to a pile of parts for the other in the end. I REALLY like the Raptors, and was bummed to hear they were discontinued.

My last purchase was a 500L. I've had fantastic luck with parts for my old 'rex 450, and hoping it'll be similar for the 500. Nothing local, but at least online parts are plentiful!
lineus is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2015, 09:53 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default parts

Never an issue for me , I fly mikado and TSA , when there in stock I buy all the crash parts I can afford . then when there out , I just wait till next shipment and order more parts.

Todays trend it to have tomany helis and not enough parts , I have 3 major helis. and have parts to crash each one many times before I have to order. But when I do crash , I buy parts when i dont need them,

matt blaisdell is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2015, 10:09 AM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

With Synergy...either direct or through Experience rarely a part not instock when needed...and that's the point here; I rarely need to put new parts on either the N7(~ 240 flights) or N5c(~500+ flights).
Old 07-26-2015, 10:16 AM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

All my models are Mikado and parts are not an issue. MikadoUSA keeps a good stock of parts.

VCONTROL*NEO*TRIBUNUS*MKS*VTX*DPL8 W/BUMP CONTROL*MEANWELL
Corvette & Copter Guy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2015, 10:36 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mikado USA. Never have any problems.
Old 07-26-2015, 04:08 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

With my Outrage G5 it's less about part availability and more about finding which trex parts are compatible or converting (I gave up finding spares for the original tail unit). Otherwise, no problem except that blades are cheaper from HobbyKing than most other suppliers.
cycled is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in