Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2015, 05:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default How much will it cost me to build either a Gaui x5, or a Trex 500?

I have been in and out of the hobby for the past few years. I have flown coaxial helis and I have a blade mcpx that I have begun to fly aerobatically. I've spent a good amount of time on my simulator, and I've gotten comfortable with all four hovering orientations, stall turns, circles, figure 8's, and brief inverted flight.

I think that the time is right to move up to a real Heli. I was leaning towards the gaui x5 or Trex 500 over the 450 class helis since I want the added stability of a larger bird. I have a Spektrum dx8 I bought about a year and a half ago, so I'm good on a transmitter. What kits do you all recommend that I look at, and how much is it going to cost for me to get one up and flying?

Thanks, this forum has been really helpful for me. Any additional pointers would be greatly appreciated.
uninc4life2010 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2015, 08:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I haven't priced an x5 build, and I got my 500 used.

But I do want to talk on this. Please realize the x5 is much closer to a 550 than to a Trex 500. The x5 swings 500mm, the 550 class swings 520-550 blades, and the Trex 500 swings 425-435mm. Bigger helis generally cost a bit more to build since they need bigger ESC, Bigger batts etc.
jmtyndall is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2015, 11:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ok. I did not know that the x5 was larger then the TREX 500. Thank you for letting me know.
uninc4life2010 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2015, 11:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

A lot bigger! Check it out!
jmtyndall is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2015, 12:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

The X5 can run up to 530mm mains, stock are 520mm. The X5 is much larger than than the T500. The price will be quite a bit higher to get an X5 in the air just simply because it uses full sized servos and larger capacity 6s batteries. Worth every penny though!
Old 03-23-2015, 06:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

As every one else has said the X5 and T500 are different beasts entirely. In the GAUI range, the X4/X4 II/NX4 are the best size match to the T500. No matter which way you look at it the stock T500 is going to be much cheaper to build but the X4 or X5 is arguably going to be a better flying experience.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm local to Greensboro; there's a pretty good group of us around here - send me a PM if you want local help and see a few of the birds discussed on here. No x5's locally though.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can buy a kit like this:
http://www.anythingheli.com/gaui-x5-...arless-system/
Servos, ESC and motor can easily tag on another 500.00 or more, depending on what gear you buy.
Then there's batteries!
I will say, my X5 is worth every penny I spent on it!
jbobb1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2015, 11:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbobb1 View Post
You can buy a kit like this:
http://www.anythingheli.com/gaui-x5-...arless-system/
Servos, ESC and motor can easily tag on another 500.00 or more, depending on what gear you buy.
Then there's batteries!
I will say, my X5 is worth every penny I spent on it!
What do you like better, Your X5 or your Goblin 500 ? One of these will probably be my next bird. Pros/cons maybe...
Old 03-23-2015, 11:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My vote goes to the X5. I like my Gob, but the X5 just has a better feel (for lack of better words). To me, the Gob feels heavier in the air. I did get some advise to upgrade my stock blades to 520mm and it'll fly better. I did that, but I just haven't gotten it back in the air since.
Build wise, the Gob hands down! It was simpler when it comes to electronics placement, to me anyway. It is a awesome machine!
I haven't crashed my Gob yet (the X5 has ate some dirt), so I can't really compare how it handles crashing to the X5. The X5 has a narrow frame, making it handle it better, so I've read.
My last crash was my fault. 8-10inches off the ground, bumped stick forward elevator. Blade strike at full head speed! Didn't even bend the main shaft (replaced it anyway)! Main gear,feathering shaft, boom/TT (probably could have gotten by with straightening these) and blades of course.
jbobb1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in