Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 01:10 AM   #181 (permalink)
Registered Users

On 6 ch, usually the pitch curve is:
Normal: -2, 0, +11
Stunt: -11, 0, +11

So at mid stick, your heli won't lift off. My max pitch curve is only +10 degree. I want more to, but don't know how. I try to change some setting, but nothing change.
It was suggested that you make 0 degree all across for TH Hold, because Genius has no autorotation, so there is no point to set the pitch for TH Hold. Make it 0 degree just to prevent you from having a boom strike at crash.
pinguin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2012, 09:17 AM   #182 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default devo 8 transmitter

I saw that finless bob updated the devo 6 transmitter and I was curious if its necessary for me to update my devo 8,and what benefits
jasonb777 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2012, 03:26 PM   #183 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Anybody knows how the hell it is possible to have 3 flight modes: Normal, Stunt 1 and Stunt 2 with different throttle curves and all over a sudden the curves in stunt 1 & 2 are equal?????

I have a 80% TH in Stunt1 and a 100% in Stunt 2. Worked perfect before. Now they don't'.

I went over my settings in the Devo 6, checked everything over and over. Even wiped the entire model and redone it. But it stays like that????
Old 01-25-2012, 12:37 PM   #184 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I am not where my radios are but as I recall (should be covered in my videos) you have to make sure the TH curves are not in combined mode.

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2012, 02:16 AM   #185 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Genius/Devo 8

Bob

I am surprised that nobody has raised this subject with you, especially considering you at least have a higher level of communication with Walkera than most of us do !!

We have all read about the "nose-left-drift" with the Genius and of the various work-arounds to sorta fix it.

We have all got the same problem when changing servos of trying to get the arms at 90 degrees again...almost impossible.

Now, for all of the helis I have owned and flown over the past 20 years, these two specific issues would be a non-event, because they are both fixable by using either trim, or more properly, sub-trim.

Yes, we can do this for the Genius with the Devo TX...but as you know, somehow either the TX or the RX cannot store trims on rudder and cannot store sub-trims on anything, so you have to do the trim/sub-trim again on every flight...very tedious and inefficient, and against all usual radio practices.

Surely Walkera must realise that this weakness in their system is totally fundamentally wrong. They must realise that the ability to trim and sub-trim is vital for helis...especially FBL units.

How come thay have never acknowleged the problem, let alone fixed it???

Just curious...if this was fixed, either in the RX or TX, the Genius would be about close to the perfect Micro flying machine.

Last edited by amphip; 01-28-2012 at 02:17 AM.. Reason: Typo
amphip is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2012, 03:15 PM   #186 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Silicone dampers. huge flight improvement.

Finless, have you tried harder dampers on the cp? I made some from silicone nitro fuel line, and it really made a huge difference in flight quality. Stopped my wobblies and has a more constant roll-flip rate now. Steadier, but more agile. Sliced them about 2mm wide. Works great. Head is much stiffer but more responsive. Mine is bad nose heavy also. Holding it with the ball links, it looks pretty good. But, I loosened the motor and held the head, and it was straight nose down heavy. I wrapped 3 in pc of 1/16 in solder wire around tail to get it to balance horizontal. BTW mine is the brushless model.
Magnum80 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2012, 11:47 PM   #187 (permalink)
Registered Users

I did not read all of this thread, so maybe this has been asked and answered.
I can not get my TRANSMITTER (DEVO8) in bind mode.
When I turn it on, it automatically goes into quick bind mode (BEEP beep BEEP beep) so I never have a chace to bind it.
I have gone to the SET ID screen and turned it OFF, (many times) but when I turn the trans off and then back on the quick bind is back on again and I never get the scrolling screen, so I never have a chance to bind the RX.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Ron
A Rdnek is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2012, 02:17 AM   #188 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post
I am not where my radios are but as I recall (should be covered in my videos) you have to make sure the TH curves are not in combined mode.

Bob
Tnx....I figured it out (sort of) I didn't have them in combined mode, I don'tknow what caused it. But i did create a whole new model and now everything is working again.

I have the same with my Aurora 9 now and then, somehow you mess something up and you can modify and search for hours but it's a lot easier in the end to make a new model.

BTW: Is there any way to save models to the pc with the Devo6?
Old 01-30-2012, 09:26 AM   #189 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think I figured this out, When I went to SET ID screen and turned it off, the "OFF" turns Orange, I think I was turning the TX off before the "OFF" turned back to black letters.
IDK for sure, but anyway I got it bound again, and then I got the ID set and all is well. Again.
Ron
A Rdnek is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2012, 08:34 AM   #190 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by amphip View Post
Bob

I am surprised that nobody has raised this subject with you, especially considering you at least have a higher level of communication with Walkera than most of us do !!

We have all read about the "nose-left-drift" with the Genius and of the various work-arounds to sorta fix it.

We have all got the same problem when changing servos of trying to get the arms at 90 degrees again...almost impossible.

Now, for all of the helis I have owned and flown over the past 20 years, these two specific issues would be a non-event, because they are both fixable by using either trim, or more properly, sub-trim.

Yes, we can do this for the Genius with the Devo TX...but as you know, somehow either the TX or the RX cannot store trims on rudder and cannot store sub-trims on anything, so you have to do the trim/sub-trim again on every flight...very tedious and inefficient, and against all usual radio practices.

Surely Walkera must realise that this weakness in their system is totally fundamentally wrong. They must realise that the ability to trim and sub-trim is vital for helis...especially FBL units.

How come thay have never acknowleged the problem, let alone fixed it???

Just curious...if this was fixed, either in the RX or TX, the Genius would be about close to the perfect Micro flying machine.
The receiver upon binding takes whatever the transmitter is delivering as "center", thus ignoring trims and subtrims. If you bind in throttle hold, then the trims stored in another flight mode will be recognized.

See https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=368255
Old 02-03-2012, 01:53 AM   #191 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default about the settings

this is a pretty self explained question that i need a confirmation on.

My pitchcurv is 50-50-50-65-80. throttle 0-25-50-75-100.
This means when my stick is 50% ((throttle)) it is still on the ground.
When i go past 50% it starts taking off.
Correct or incorrect?

seems i might have got my genius set up weird before i figured this should be the correct thing to be happening. i had it so the throttle was only about 35% and it would be taking off. so im assuming it was wrong before and now its corrected and properly set too.

need to make sure this is all good before i 3d, i still have not switched into 3d settings so i wouldnt screw it up somehow with the pitch settings. good i didnt .

anyways. long story short. give me a Yes it is right now, and was wrong before. and im off on my merry way to tweaking and customizing the settings

sincerely
-andy
anjoi666 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2012, 03:11 AM   #192 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjoi666 View Post
this is a pretty self explained question that i need a confirmation on.

My pitchcurv is 50-50-50-65-80. throttle 0-25-50-75-100.
This means when my stick is 50% ((throttle)) it is still on the ground.
When i go past 50% it starts taking off.
Correct or incorrect?

seems i might have got my genius set up weird before i figured this should be the correct thing to be happening. i had it so the throttle was only about 35% and it would be taking off. so im assuming it was wrong before and now its corrected and properly set too.

need to make sure this is all good before i 3d, i still have not switched into 3d settings so i wouldnt screw it up somehow with the pitch settings. good i didnt .

anyways. long story short. give me a Yes it is right now, and was wrong before. and im off on my merry way to tweaking and customizing the settings

sincerely
-andy
Assuming 50 gives you no pitch (0 degrees), and if you want test fly it in normal mode, might be a bad idea, especially if your out side.

In my opinion, you'd want to have some neg pitch. Perhaps -7 degrees would do. Only reason why I say this, that neg pitch can help you bring the heli back down under control when you have wind gusts pushing it up. And on take off, it can help keep the heli stable on the ground when you spool up, since the neg pitch pushes it firmly into the ground.

36-45-50-75-100

Then main thing to remember is to use that TH if you get in trouble and don't slam the throttle back down.

And yes.. when your past 50% throttle, it should lift off.
Erazor 450 (2801 rx) 2750kv | EXI 450 Pro (2702V rx) FBL Tri-Blade head 3500kv AKE | V450 Walkera (2702V rx) 3950kv Turbo ACE 804 | 4F200 & 4F200LM | V200DQ02 & V200D02 | V120D02 & V120D05 | 250 CopterX | 250 EXI FBL | Genius - WK2801
Silver-techie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2012, 12:56 PM   #193 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-techie View Post
Assuming 50 gives you no pitch (0 degrees), and if you want test fly it in normal mode, might be a bad idea, especially if your out side.

In my opinion, you'd want to have some neg pitch. Perhaps -7 degrees would do. Only reason why I say this, that neg pitch can help you bring the heli back down under control when you have wind gusts pushing it up. And on take off, it can help keep the heli stable on the ground when you spool up, since the neg pitch pushes it firmly into the ground.

36-45-50-75-100

Then main thing to remember is to use that TH if you get in trouble and don't slam the throttle back down.

And yes.. when your past 50% throttle, it should lift off.
thanks alot silver.
so. basically these are my indoor settings, my outdoor have some negative pitch.
im just wanting to know that my servos and swash are level now and not 1 notch up or down due to the servo savers kicking in.
this is a correct ! and im good 2 go!
thanks
-andy
anjoi666 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2012, 08:23 AM   #194 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Great videos!

Last edited by WessCo; 02-11-2012 at 01:31 PM.. Reason: videos now available.
WessCo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2012, 10:02 PM   #195 (permalink)
Registered Users

Anyone made a setup video for the genius and a Devo 8? I bought one used and don't know where to start. I have a mini Cp brushless I just bought, but wanted to fly the stock Genius as well
Dark Poacher is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 03:50 PM   #196 (permalink)
Registered Users

Connected the battery to the Heli after turning on the TX, withinh the time frame Bob advised. Sounds like the esc beeped twice then nothing. I have Four batteries I tried to include the ew one with the Mini, no luck....I'm officially FRUSTRATED! I got the Mini for Wow with the brushless upgrade kit. Odis not read their policy about on email tech support.
Dark Poacher is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2012, 09:24 AM   #197 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Poacher View Post
Anyone made a setup video for the genius and a Devo 8? I bought one used and don't know where to start. I have a mini Cp brushless I just bought, but wanted to fly the stock Genius as well
Speaking of which: is there going to be a similar thread for the Mini CP?

Thanks
Zoide is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 09:59 PM   #198 (permalink)
Registered Users

I too received a used Genius CP with BL motor and pro tail that was bought from Wow Hobbies and came with the Devo 8 TX.

My problem is the TX was inadvertantly reset by the prior owner and all the settings that Wow put in are gone.

I can't figure out how to bind the heli to the TX and once I do, I don't know where to start with the settings.

This is my first CP heli and TX that is programmable so I have no clue where to start. The combo came with a manual for the Devo 6 and a CD for the Devo 8, but still can't figure anything out.

Can someone point me in the right direction to bind the heli and then set up the correct setting for it?
nascar1929 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 01:14 AM   #199 (permalink)
Registered Users

I finally got the heli to bind and I went through and programmed all the settings according to the manual. Still not working correctly though.

In normal mode when I raise the throttle to 50% it revs up and still sits on the ground (normal from what I understand) but then when I advance the throttle behond 50%, the heli begins to bog down and still goes nowhere. It does the same in stunt 1 and stunt 2.

I must not have the settings programmed correctly. Can someone tell me the correct settings for each mode so I can try them and see if they work?

Also, I switched it to 6 axis mode and I noticed that the servos twitch alot. Probably gonna be unstable once I do get it off the ground. Is there a good fix for this?
nascar1929 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 07:10 AM   #200 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nascar - post your settings on here so we can see them?
Heli8ight is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in