Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Simulators Support > Phoenix Flight Sim

Phoenix Flight Sim Phoenix Flight Sim

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2016, 08:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Occulus or Vive with Phoenix?

Has anyone tried the sim with either of these 2 3D headsets? Good, bad, indifferent?

Thanks!
gfyss is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2016, 09:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I got a vive but you cannot play regular non VR games with a VR headset. It doesn't work like that. The sim has to be programmed for VR.
You could use the HMD as big screen to simulate a 100meter cinema wall but that is not VR at all. If it would be programmed for the vive you could walk to your heli and pick it up with your hands.

All that being said: I want a VR RC sim!
Thoemse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2016, 01:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

It is probably a few years yet.
tomasito is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2016, 08:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well it works surprisingly well with the oculus rift (CV1) and the neXt heli sim. There is even a free download on their website which works fine for 120seconds if you do not have a license.

http://www.rc-aerobatics.eu/index_e.html

I hope Phoenix adds this VR feature soon since I prefer phoenix as a simulator.

Flying in VR is really great, very realistic since you can look around like on a real field.
skywalkertje is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2016, 04:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't have a VR set yet.
wanted to get the Vive, but I'm gonna wait for gen2
(no real rumors yet , but I hope they release it soon, I'm kinda hoping the market will force Gen2's of vendors soon)

I personally would like to use VR because I find tracking 'going off to side , or to far away on the sim an issue ) on the sim my moves like loops and funnels are fine.

But I do them in IRL I'm always surprised , I need to work harder to make them line up. Due to lack of depth perception in the sim they just look better there.
So I don't care to 'look' around but I hope it helps to work on my tracking in the sim.
zomaar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2016, 01:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have not seen any RC heli simulator with accurate aerodynamic models for things like
tick-tocs
funnels
piro funnels
inverted backwards hurricanes
fast high speed direction changes

Also the '3D' effect is not that visible after about 10meters even in real life on the field. In VR it is worse because of the low resolution for things far away.

What makes it realistic visually in VR is the scale which is 1to1 and the fact that you have to turn your head to follow the heli around the field if you do big manoeuvres like funnels, hurricanes and loopings. The spatial awareness goes up a lot compared to a small heli which is always in the middle of the monitor no matter where you fly.

A lot more work (with any sim) needs to be done however to make the aerodynamic models behave in a realistic way.
skywalkertje is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in