Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 700 Class Electric Helicopters

700 Class Electric Helicopters 700 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2011, 10:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default It finally happened! :( Need some help.

Yes my fellow helifreakers.... had to do the walk of shame and everything.
This morning had "the case of the loctite". (seems like anyway).

I was just about to complete 83 flights without incident when I lost tail control. It wasn't anything spectacular and I actually landed softly, but the spinning of the blades was just too much.

Before I show pics. It seems like the only thing worth mentioning for HELP is the head button was gone. The female threads inside the main rotor housing (head block) sheared.

I'm picky about things and like to put everything 100% back to normal. So, is there anything I can do to save the existing head block? I guess I can fly it without a head button, but I prefer to put it back without having to get a new head block JUST to have the head button.

Here are the pic.

Notice the slide shaft NOT attached to the "T" type arm. Those threads are squeaky clean. Mea Culpa.

tekparasite is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2011, 10:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Do not put the stopper back on. Mine came off in flight and ruined a set of blades. Either buy a new head block or just dont use it.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Use red loctite when you reassemble the tail pitch slider. Same thing happened to me.

Did you hit hold right away and try to auto? Usually the spinning stops and you can auto in safely in cases like this.
OnTheSnap is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2011, 11:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheSnap View Post
Use red loctite when you reassemble the tail pitch slider. Same thing happened to me.

Did you hit hold right away and try to auto? Usually the spinning stops and you can auto in safely in cases like this.
Yeah. I hit Throttle Hold right away and I did try to auto. Notice the landing gear is intact and no stripped gears or torque tube gears.
The heli was far way from me plus spinning as I had no tail control. It was when it landed where it tipped over and main blades hit the boom..etc.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Sorry for your loss.

I personally don't like the way the head button looks on the 700 so I leave it off and go neg pitch after landing to slow down the head. By the time I've walked up to the heli, the blades are pretty much slowed down to nothing.

Beside that, there weren't always head buttons.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

take off the head button, your luck you have a fb or else you will still need a new head so you could get your blade pitch right.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekparasite View Post
Yes my fellow helifreakers.... had to do the walk of shame and everything.
This morning had "the case of the loctite". (seems like anyway).

I was just about to complete 83 flights without incident when I lost tail control. It wasn't anything spectacular and I actually landed softly, but the spinning of the blades was just too much.

Before I show pics. It seems like the only thing worth mentioning for HELP is the head button was gone. The female threads inside the main rotor housing (head block) sheared.

I'm picky about things and like to put everything 100% back to normal. So, is there anything I can do to save the existing head block? I guess I can fly it without a head button, but I prefer to put it back without having to get a new head block JUST to have the head button.

Notice the slide shaft NOT attached to the "T" type arm. Those threads are squeaky clean. Mea Culpa.

That sucks, looks like you saved the most important parts, how did you loose tail control?
Old 05-22-2011, 03:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Sorry to hear about your loss, Julio. Looks like you did a pretty good job of salvaging it though.

Aram
Futaba 14SG / AMA# 959345 / IRCHA #3954
aramb is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2011, 06:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had my head stopper pull out also in my last "incident". I keep a set of these around for 3mm and 4mm.

http://www.amazon.com/50-Perma-Coil-.../dp/B000WGFBJC

They've saved me a good bit of money repairing some expensive parts on my heli's with stripped out holes. For my head button I just removed everything including those two plastic sleeves in the head. The kit tells you what size drill bit to use and it's a US size. Drill the hole, run the tap in and install the thread insert with red locktite. You do need to be careful not to put the insert in too far. You just want it so the first thread is just below the surface of the head. I've never had another problem with the threads I've repaired. They are especially nice for getting a better grip when a plastic or G10 part gets stripped out. I hope this helps.

Jeff
Jeff396 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2011, 07:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Sorry about your loss.

My first crash with my 700 ripped the head button out. I since replaced the head block, but definitely didn't put the button back on. I need to make sure those threads stay intact in case I need the leveler tool again.

Good luck with the rebuild.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:51 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi there,
The same exact thing happened to me on my second test flight...I managed to land it safely although it was very scary because the heli was about 5 meters away from me..

About the head button; try to use a longer screw - i had the same problem and it solved it, otherwise you can thread the hole just a little bigher and use a shim inside so you can use the same diameter screw again.
I have no life anymore - only heli's in my head..
wonderd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2011, 08:48 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff396 View Post
I had my head stopper pull out also in my last "incident". I keep a set of these around for 3mm and 4mm.

http://www.amazon.com/50-Perma-Coil-.../dp/B000WGFBJC

They've saved me a good bit of money repairing some expensive parts on my heli's with stripped out holes. For my head button I just removed everything including those two plastic sleeves in the head. The kit tells you what size drill bit to use and it's a US size. Drill the hole, run the tap in and install the thread insert with red locktite. You do need to be careful not to put the insert in too far. You just want it so the first thread is just below the surface of the head. I've never had another problem with the threads I've repaired. They are especially nice for getting a better grip when a plastic or G10 part gets stripped out. I hope this helps.

Jeff
Thanks a lot for this reference Jeff... and thanks everyone for your comments!
Old 05-29-2011, 09:11 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekparasite View Post
Thanks a lot for this reference Jeff... and thanks everyone for your comments!
Any preference for a Tap-wrench?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in