Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gasser Helicopters

Gasser Helicopters Gasser Specific Discussion

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2012, 03:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Which T-Rex 700 conversion?????

OK, I am about ready to convert my T-Rex 700 to Gas. Question is which conversion and why? Heli Bug or Hobby World? Thanks for the info!
ctyankee is offline        Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2012, 08:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've built both, here are some thoughts

HWC

The HWC kit is more complete out of the box. If you have a donor model and a motor, thats all you really need. Everything is worked out for you just follow the instructions.

It will only work with the PUH motor but includes a first rate cooling system and h/d clutch

It has more bits to assemble though.

Unless you use a longer spacer, only the Century and stock can mufflers can be used

Helibug

The HB kit has fewer parts and is somewhat simpler.

If you've looked at the conversion directions you can see that there are some areas that you have to solve for.

It will only work with the RC format motor which has a built in, very efficient cooling system

If you get the Limited Edition, you'll have to get some additional Align parts to build it. The complete conversion comes with most everything. If you're doing aggressive flying, you'll want one of the aftermarket clutch's, either the Quick UK or the newer Lynx. If you plan to just sport fly you might get away with even the stock clutch.

Any gas muffler can be used

Summary

They both fly like TRex's.
Almost all of the crash parts are std Align parts
Once you include all the necessary parts, they both cost about the same

Last edited by carey shurley; 02-05-2012 at 06:16 PM..
carey shurley is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2012, 03:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Wow. I did not know that. You can't use Zimmerman or Hatory with the on HWC 700?
Trex 600 Gasser FBL | HeliXHeli conv. | OS GT15HZ | iKon | Homemade onboard generator
Azalin is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2012, 07:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

the zimmerman should still work

the wide base hatori and rjx will not work without some sort of spacer. The frame mount for the engine blocks the area below the exhaust port.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

And the Century pipe works very well and is reasonably priced.

TRM Power - RC Racing Engines - - Blackout Mods Conversions - - VP Racing / Powermaster Fuels - - Gas-Powered-Helicopters.com
Doug Darby is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2012, 08:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I appreciate the comparison! Do you have a favored one, or is it truly a toss up?
Old 02-05-2012, 11:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I happen to be a big fan (no pun intended) of the RC format motor which isn't currently supported by the HWC, but the HWC has a better clutch setup on the 700.

HB was offering a Core-7 clutch setup for a while which used the stock zenoah clutch (as does the Whiplash). This locked up very well but has been out of stock now for about a year so I dunno whats up with that

If you already have either a PUH or RC format motor, let that be your deciding factor. If not I think you'll be happy with either one.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

As Carey said above, the HWC 700 conversion has a better clutch/drive system than the Helibug.

With Centurys cooling system, it pretty much nullifies the biggest advantage the RC format engine vs the PUH.

I myself prefer the PUH engines. But if the HWC conversion used the RC engine and the Helibug used the PUH, I would most likely still choose the HWC over the Helibug because of the clutch/drive system.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have the HWC. I am in the process of building it. I hope to get the toxic g26 coming tomorrow. I got it for the HD clutch and the helical gears. The carbon frames are nice too. I want to put an ignition system on mine down the road and shed a little weight. I don't think that is possible with the rc format engines. The cost of each convresion was very close when you go through and add up what is needed for both.

Harlan
traderdave2 is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2012, 04:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I was looking at Heli Bugs website and I notice he does have a version for the PUH engine as well.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Still does not have a clutch/drive system comparable to the HWC conversion.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparx- View Post
But if the HWC conversion used the RC engine and the Helibug used the PUH, I would most likely still choose the HWC over the Helibug because of the clutch/drive system.
Really? That's the only reason?
Old 02-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Talking Made me laugh!

Maybe because he has to, and WHERE do you get those icons from?

-=>Raja.
Jewel on-board Generators, Miniature Aircraft Team Manager
rbort is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2012, 07:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

No one dictates my opinions. Rep or not, I buy what I fly. Just like you, I buy and fly what I think is the best.

Raja, you are the last one that should make such comments.

Rotorterrier, I have flown and worked on both conversions in question here. Have you?
Old 02-06-2012, 08:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great reason sparx, 250 flights on a HB running a G290RC with a bone stock Align clutch relined to proper clearance and zero issues.

I am only sponsored by my own wallet and it sure does seem like you have an agenda.
fastflyer20 is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2012, 08:27 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

You know fastflyer20, you are the last one I expected would make such comments after the Rochester fun fly. I not once held over your head the help I gave you that day. Name me one other person that would take a $120 set of blades off his Heli and allow you to put them on your Heli to try them out. Fully understanding that you could crash them. And i was more than happy to do so. Nice to see how you show your gratitude.

You are welcome.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:43 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I appreciate what you did, but your post is misleading, the op needs unbiased information and you were not giving it. In case others don't know, the blades were Rotortech 690's by Century, and I will put an unbiased plug for them, they are the best I have flown on my gasser and still use them.
fastflyer20 is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2012, 09:13 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry, too little, too late. You had no problem spreading the word of this epiphany you came upon without giving even an ounce of credit where it was due. You asked me what you could do to get better performance from your machine and I share the things that have been working for me. You show your gratitude by going around in these forums calling into question the posts I make. Screaming how biased I am and that I have and agenda. So what was my agenda in helping you get more out of your Helibug kit? I could have just rolled my eyes at you with my biased ways and told you to get something better.

Further more, unlike others in these forums, I did not go around proclaiming myself as some kind of gift to the Gasser community because of the help I have given you and others. I help because I enjoy doing it. My reward is seeing those I help having more fun with their machines. Period!

I would like to bring up two points here.

1. To make a comment on which in your opinion is a better kit, you would have to have experience with both of them to make an unbiased opinion. Otherwise your opinion is biased. So I will ask those in this thread, who has had experience with both of these conversions to make an unbiased opinion?

2. "Great reason sparx, 250 flights on a HB running a G290RC with a bone stock Align clutch relined to proper clearance and zero issues."

Your statement here does nothing but validate what I have said. the HWC Conversion has a better clutch/drive system. There is no need to reline the clutch. There is no need to by an aftermarket "gasser" clutch. There is no need to try a number of stock and aftermarket gears that will not strip in flight. These are all issues that have been reported here by the very people flying the Helibug kits. These are not my experiences, they are yours. Find anything of the sort posted about the HWC Conversion? Clutch works as it should out of the box. Gears do not strip when loads are placed on the air frame. So how are my statements somehow untrue or biased. You guys did not experience these issues?
Old 02-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would also like to point out that this thread was going very well with out any personal confrontations until a certain couple of people decided to take it in that direction. Whether you agree with a persons statements or not, it is not up to you whether they are allowed to share them. We all give our opinions. We all support our opinion, if you can and then it is up the the Original Poster to decide what value he puts to peoples opinions. Would be nice if some people could just let their opinions stand on their own merits instead of trying to degrade another persons opinions to elevate themselves.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in