Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Batteries and Charging Support > Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2012, 02:29 AM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpotter90 View Post
Is there any way I can get a good picture of the power supplies all wired up and connected for 2 each 24 volts and 2 each 12 volt outputs? I'm electrically stupid and need a good pictures and/or diagrams. Thanks.

Yeah,its on the first page.
Scorny is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2012, 07:53 AM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

For good how to's on PS for 12/24v setups go here:

http://sites.google.com/site/tjinguy...ts/diy-24v-47a
Old 01-20-2012, 10:50 AM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks! Sorry for the seemingly dumb question, it was midnight and I was so confused looking at that picture on page 1 of this thread.
Rpotter90 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2012, 06:50 PM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default My 1st Charging Station

After reading this entire thread and several others, I decided to try building my 1st charging station. The info I learned here was an invaluable aid. Before i go into the details, I would like to say thanks for everyone's input.

After checking out several different toolboxes, I decided on this monster DeWalt 24 in 2 in 1 tool box that I found in Home Depot. While it is definitely one of the larger toolboxes to be used in a charging station, I really like the 2 piece design and the top section fits 2 chargers, balance boards, and misc. adapters without needing any extra storage containers/pouches.

I used 10awg wire for the 24v side and 12awg wire on the 12v side. I also used 2 automotive 30a rocker switches to turn everything on/off. I found a couple of really old PC power supplies that were kind enough to donate their 80mm fans and a power cord receptacle. I soldered 10awg wire to the back of the power cord receptacle and then soldered some spade connectors on the other end of the wires that plug into the power supplies. The left side houses the intake fan/grill while the right side houses the exhaust fan/grill.

Every wire is labeled and neatly wrapped to keep everything nice and clean and to ensure that there is ample room for all the wires.

Once again I would like to thank everyone for their input.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DeWalt Toolbox.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	300616   Click image for larger version

Name:	DeWalt Toolbox top open.jpg
Views:	542
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	300617   Click image for larger version

Name:	DeWalt Toolbox left side.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	300618   Click image for larger version

Name:	DeWalt Toolbox right side.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	300619   Click image for larger version

Name:	DeWalt Toolbox inside.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	300620  

Last edited by ez2bgman; 03-20-2012 at 09:12 PM..
ez2bgman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2012, 07:27 PM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Nice box Gary!
Old 03-21-2012, 09:21 AM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ez2bgman View Post
After reading this entire thread and several others, I decided to try building my 1st charging station. The info I learned here was an invaluable aid. Before i go into the details, I would like to say thanks for everyone's input.

After checking out several different toolboxes, I decided on this monster DeWalt 24 in 2 in 1 tool box that I found in Home Depot. While it is definitely one of the larger toolboxes to be used in a charging station, I really like the 2 piece design and the top section fits 2 chargers, balance boards, and misc. adapters without needing any extra storage containers/pouches.

I used 10awg wire for the 24v side and 12awg wire on the 12v side. I also used 2 automotive 30a rocker switches to turn everything on/off. I found a couple of really old PC power supplies that were kind enough to donate their 80mm fans and a power cord receptacle. I soldered 10awg wire to the back of the power cord receptacle and then soldered some spade connectors on the other end of the wires that plug into the power supplies. The left side houses the intake fan/grill while the right side houses the exhaust fan/grill.

Every wire is labeled and neatly wrapped to keep everything nice and clean and to ensure that there is ample room for all the wires.

how was the AC input wired? i see that both power supplies are wired into one plug? can you do a diagram if possible? also do you have a parts list and where you got everything from?, how are the power suplies bolted down to the box?

i might be copying your design .

thank you
xfactor6 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 09:48 AM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfactor6 View Post
how was the AC input wired? i see that both power supplies are wired into one plug? can you do a diagram if possible? also do you have a parts list and where you got everything from?, how are the power suplies bolted down to the box?

i might be copying your design .

thank you
I used a standard PC power cord receptacle from an old PC power supply that I had laying around. The Dell Poweredge 6650 uses a proprietary receptacle, all 3 prongs in the receptacle lay flat/horizontal. Looking at both receptacles side by side, I matched both right prongs, both left prongs, and both bottom prongs. Basically I soldered 2-10awg wires to the back of the left prong of the PC receptacle then soldered on female spade connectors to the other end of the wires. The spade side them plugs into the left prongs on the 6650's. I repeated the same for the right prongs and bottom prongs. I'm at work right now but I will try to upload some diagrams when I get home. It is actually easier to do then to explain...lol

I have the power supplies secured with aerospace grade double sided tape that a friend of mine uses at work. This is by far the strongest double sided tape I have ever used. I can lift the entire weight of my charging station by grabbing hold of
one of the power supplies. I will have to get the name, but I know it's made by 3M. It's actually designed to adhere metal to metal on full size helis and planes.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:12 PM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hey Gary,
Very nice job with the charging box. It will definitely power up your chargers with no issues. The power connection is a C19, the recepticle on the Dell 6650 is a C20. If you want to power up directly with cords use these.

http://www.cables.com/category/cable...-125-volt.aspx
pctomlin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 09:30 PM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by pctomlin View Post
Hey Gary,
Very nice job with the charging box. It will definitely power up your chargers with no issues. The power connection is a C19, the recepticle on the Dell 6650 is a C20. If you want to power up directly with cords use these.

http://www.cables.com/category/cable...-125-volt.aspx
Paul,

Thanks for posting what type of receptacles I used. I couldn't remember their name...lol

Yea this charging station will definitely suit my needs, and those that need the juice as well.

I plan on getting another iCharger 306B and leaving my old Hyperion on the bench for use with my sons' Revo and Evader.

Thanks again for all your insight. Without this build thread, I would not have been able to build this on my own.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:39 PM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Just got my Dells in today!
Paul is gonna help me make a monster charge station like his...

will be powering a FMA PL6 whihc got here on Monday

waiting for charge boards and cables for it.. and the rest of the supplies to begin creating the monster.

CeeveeSiN is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2012, 02:06 PM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Great thread, electronic engineer myself so looking forward to making one of these.
Ordered 2 Dell 6650 off Ebay, not bad at 20 Euros each brand new from ireland.
Downside is 60 Euros shipping for the pair, not bad overall unless I get the dreaded DOA!
In which case I would move heaven and earth to fix it.
Obtained a Peli Case so will have the bare bones soon enough.
As far as I can deduce from this thread, I understand that there is not the problem with any of the DC poles at mains earth potential with these supplies?
Only other issue is the Terminal Bind posts, I have not found any yet that can handle over 30A, may just wire direct to chargers using EC5's and use the bind posts for 12v outputs
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzTDR + II
Alun
CyprusFlyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2012, 02:41 PM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You are correct the DC ground is isolated from the mains ground so just wire them up and start charging. I went with Deans for my 12v connections and EC5's for my 24v connections
Old 03-26-2012, 10:30 AM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

removed i found them

Last edited by xfactor6; 03-26-2012 at 03:03 PM..
Old 03-27-2012, 12:50 PM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ez2bgman View Post

just one quick oberservation i made yesterday when i went to test fit it in the dewalt box, in your diagram you have the inlet and the outlet backwards the way you put the power supply fan exhaust air will be clashing against the inlet fan.

The fans on the power supply are extracting hot air out of the power supply not blowing it across the power supply. you just have to flip your power supply or change the inlet to an outlet and outlet to inlet. the way i know this is because in our server room for our company all the server fans extract out hot air in to the hot air isle and take cold air from the front (cold isle). Not sure if you noticed this or not.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:03 PM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfactor6 View Post
just one quick oberservation i made yesterday when i went to test fit it in the dewalt box, in your diagram you have the inlet and the outlet backwards the way you put the power supply fan exhaust air will be clashing against the inlet fan.

The fans on the power supply are extracting hot air out of the power supply not blowing it across the power supply. you just have to flip your power supply or change the inlet to an outlet and outlet to inlet. the way i know this is because in our server room for our company all the server fans extract out hot air in to the hot air isle and take cold air from the front (cold isle). Not sure if you noticed this or not.
That's correct. Both fans on the power supply are exhausting fans.

He may have just labeled them wrong on his pictures, but good catch.
Thursday is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2012, 10:07 AM   #76 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I tried searching this thread to see if anyone has experienced a 6650 shutting off the power if they plug a charger in after the power supply has been turned on. I have two 6650s wired to produce 24 volts and I found that one power supply will stop producing if I plug any charger into the unit after they have been started.

I have no issue if the chargers are plugged in first then power up the 6650's. I can draw all the current I want and the power supplies keep running. The only time I have an issue is if the chargers aren't plugged in at startup.

Strange..........

Lou
www.circlecityhelis.com
lperagallo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2012, 10:51 AM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

one thing lou failed to mention which another club member tried the same thing and is experiencing some weird issues is...

They treated the rails like they were all one so basically the 3 rails are bussed together to make one and then split from there. I am starting to think both of them are experiencing issues due to this design.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:06 AM   #78 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Post deleted as I missunderstood Ryan's post above. Ryan is correct in what we did.
Lou
www.circlecityhelis.com

Last edited by lperagallo; 04-23-2012 at 12:36 PM..
lperagallo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 02:52 PM   #79 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hello,

I want to use this alim in Europe.
Do you know if it works with 50 Hz, 230V AC in inlet?

Many thanks
Jerem is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 09:44 PM   #80 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yes, this PSU will work in Europe, it will auto sense the voltage/hertz and adjust accordingly.

Here is a picture of the label specs for this PSU.
pctomlin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in