Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Electric Micro/Mini Helicopters > Zoom/Shogun 400

Zoom/Shogun 400 Electric - Zoom - Shogun 400 Specific Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2011, 04:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Shogun head and tail compatibility?

I am a newbie! I have searched the forum some, but cant find specifics. Will cnc head and tail units off of other 400 and 450 size helis fit a shogun? Mine is a v1 converted to belt drive. Thanks
huntxtrm is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2011, 09:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't think so, but I've seen upgraded heads on ebay specifically for this heli. Bear in mind, it was sold under several brands, the Shogun/Zoom as well as Walkera dragonfly #35 so expand your searches to those and you will find more out there.

I'm trying to find a cheap source for blades, right now the best I've found is $9.99 for woodies from Hobby People. Hobby People seem to have the best selection of parts at this point, I think they were one of the main distributors for the Shogun back in the day...

Tom
d2tw4all is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2011, 04:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I just ordered the complete head gear, elevator assembly and tail gear from cnchelicopter. Motor, servos, esc, gyro "kit" from xheli. and belt conversion from hobby people. Dang this is getting expensive! but interesting. Hope it works. I'll post some progress pics on how it goes.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow talk about going all out! I couldn't invest that much in this bird, for me since I had most of the stuff it was worth putting a couple bucks more into it to get it fully operational, but if I don't get this tail problem sorted out it may go on the shelf and I'll just order another 400 size heli and move the electronics over to it. At least the shoguns are rising again!
d2tw4all is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2011, 05:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

That's kinda the same idea i have. I am using this for a learning platform. I figure most of the parts will be reusable on another platform, when i decide to progress. that is if this doesnt turn out to be a really good chopper. It might be, with all that i am putting into it.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntxtrm View Post
I just ordered the complete head gear, elevator assembly and tail gear from cnchelicopter. Motor, servos, esc, gyro "kit" from xheli. and belt conversion from hobby people. Dang this is getting expensive! but interesting. Hope it works. I'll post some progress pics on how it goes.

Hey guys take a look at mine. I built the entire heli a part at a time and bought everything from cncheli.com.... I see you already have the head and it is a good one. This heli also uses a trex tail assembly with 12mm boom.

I am very fimiliar with this bird so if you have any questions hit me up. Maybe I can be a help for once instead of the one being helped..lol

Here is a pic of my baby...
Cheryl is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2011, 07:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2tw4all View Post
Wow talk about going all out! I couldn't invest that much in this bird, for me since I had most of the stuff it was worth putting a couple bucks more into it to get it fully operational, but if I don't get this tail problem sorted out it may go on the shelf and I'll just order another 400 size heli and move the electronics over to it. At least the shoguns are rising again!

What is the problem with your tail..Or maybe I should say symptoms
Old 12-31-2011, 10:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow, There is another shogun out there. That is a sweet looking machine, Sort of what i am shooting for. Symptoms, rudder is very unstable. I had the gyro upside down, to try to protect it during a crash. I flipped it right side up to see if that will help. Charging battery right now. The tail gear i ordered came for a smaller tail boom, like the one i removed. It is probably going back on. when i change it over. I figure I will play with it, with the stock stuff for now. That way if i mess something up during the learning curve, which i'm sure i will. I will have the good stuff to repair it with. I am having trouble setting up my tx. Lots of stuff I don't understand. Ill be asking about that im sure. I see you have one similar. Mine is a fly sky TH9X. And thanks
Old 12-31-2011, 10:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Do you have the original plastic frame? or did you go carbon? Can't tell from the picture.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntxtrm View Post
Do you have the original plastic frame? or did you go carbon? Can't tell from the picture.
I have the g10 carbon fiber frame from cncheli. It comes with the tail pully conversion for belt drive. My daughter bought it for me for Christmas last year.

Be sure to check your gears and bearings very closely. An eratic tail is usually a binding problem. Is it eratic or does it hunt from side to side? If it is hunting you probably have the gain set too high on the gyro. start the gain at 50% and work from there. Get the tail to where it just stops hunting and then add 5%. If that isn't the problem check the belt tension. If you go to utube and type in walkera 36 setup you will find some very helpful videos.Yeh running the gyro upright is probably a good idea. I put a thick 2sided foam under mine and I wrap it with velcro when flying. I am not fimiliar with the stock shogun gyro. Mine came from ebay and it had a walkera gyro on it. It didn't take long before I replaced it. originally I bought a 401 gyro from cncheli. I think it was $12.00. Then one day I was surfing ebay and ended getting a fatuba gy401 for $38.00 (I stole it).

Anyway I did the same thing you are doing. I learned to fly it with stock parts and slowly bought parts for it. I used the fly sky tx/rx for about six months and then I broke down and bought a dx6i for $65.00 from an online friend. I really don't understand why people have so completely abandoned this airframe. It is great for scale flying and if you build them as far as I have they are fully 3d capable. I was in long island last august and passed a field where I seen some pilots flying. I stopped in to fly and when they seen my air platform they started making jokes. However when I lifted the heli off the groung and made one figure eight (with authority) they wanted to check it out. One pilot took it full 3d with my permission and it was really impressive. It's no trex but it is definitely a good flying bird.

At this point I don't plan on doing any 3d flying real soon but I did recently purchase a hk 450 pro belt drive kit from hobby king. It ended up costing me 79.00 including shipping. I plan on making it a very budget build. I am doing research on the cheapest parts possible to get it in the air and keep it there.

I am sorry for rambling but it so very nice to have someone to chat with about this heli. Let me know how your flight goes...

Cheryl
Old 12-31-2011, 05:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

[QUOTE=huntxtrm;3512686]The tail gear i ordered came for a smaller tail boom, like the one i removed.

There are two sizes. One is 9mm and the other is 12mm. Check this link out when you get time. Just remember that there is the 9mm boom which I think is V1 and the 12mm is V2. http://www.cnchelicopter.com/servlet...s/1/Categories Contact them and tell them what you are looking for and they will send you the link to their site for the part you need. Thats how I bought a few parts from them such as my motor and esc. They also sell on ebay...
Old 01-01-2012, 07:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I bought the belt conversion kit from hobby people. It came with a 10mm boom. Your right the v1, which is what if have came with a 9mm boom. the cnc stuff i ordered is all 9mm. so i am probably going to go back witha 9mm boom. Going to telescope it from 10 mm at the frame to 9mm at the tail. Should work, i think.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Duplicate.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:59 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Walkera #36 Head is virtually identical. The Raptor G2 (nothing to do with Thunder Tiger) sold by Xheli was the same machine, in yellow.

There was a metal head for the #36-I don't know if it is still available or not.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I do already have the cnc full metal headgear also. I just haven't installed it yet. I figure I'll get all the crashing out of the way before I put on the goods.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:48 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Clem View Post
There was a metal head for the #36-I don't know if it is still available or not.
Be careful of the kit that is sold all over the internet for the walkera 36. I bought 2 seperate sets from two different sites. What I got was very low quality and unusable. I ended up using all my stock plastic parts just to get my bird back in the air. I hope you have better luck if thats the kit you have. It sells from $22.00 to around $26.00.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:08 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I got all my cnc form cnchelicopter.com. The head that i bought, says it's for multiple models. Or so if figured from the site. Looks pretty good. I cannot say the bearings are good quality, untill it has some miles on it. Seems to work smoothly on the bench. Only problem I have, is with the linkage they sent with it. It is either really loose, or really tight? I have some more on the way, going to try and tighten all the linkage slop right off the bat.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:21 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I did alot of searching and what you have is the best on the market for this heli. If there is a problem send them an email and reference to Jeff. Their customer service is very good.

Not sure what you mean by really tight or really loose though.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:23 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Forgot to ask. How did it go with your test hover the other night?
Old 01-02-2012, 05:29 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Talking

I didnt really hover it, just kind of hopped it up in the air. not long enough or with enough power to do any damage. I still have lots of adjusting to do. Blade tracking, and lots of sttuff on my transmitter i can't figure out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in