Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > Hurricane 550

Hurricane 550 Discussion and support of the Gaui Hurricane 550

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2008, 03:54 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was going to order the Z30 but with all the talk about the Z20 being efficient, I went that route and I don't regret it one bit, only regrets was purchasing the H550 with stock motor . I can fly the Z20 for 10 minutes with a pair of 3300mah packs, its awesome.
vicrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2008, 04:08 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm definitely going to have to get one - is the Tonix Z20A 980Kv the same as the Z-Power Z20A 980Kv the same - the specs are exactly the same, but I want to make sure that I get the right one.

Thanks,
Mike.
Mikej is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2008, 04:18 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, be sure to get the 980Kv version. Use either a 14T or 15T pinion for this motor to get good flight time. You won't regret switching the motor.

Dan
ke6d is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2008, 04:39 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

you won't notice the "wag" really in a hover. it's most noticable in forward flight. i can have my gyro gain almost on 100% and it won't wag in a hover. as soon as you fly forward though it does.
so the verdict is that the tonix z20 980kv is the same as the zpower z20 980kv? same motor just re-badged?
Old 02-15-2008, 11:07 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdee14 View Post
But I fly at 68% on the gyro channel, DX7 radio. seems to work OK.Mike
Will give that a bash, thanks Mike. No wind today, no cloud.. Perrrrfect for flying.. BUT... We're moving to Australia in 2 weeks... so I do have chores!
Old 02-15-2008, 11:18 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cralis View Post
Will give that a bash, thanks Mike. No wind today, no cloud.. Perrrrfect for flying.. BUT... We're moving to Australia in 2 weeks... so I do have chores!
Australia !!

Wow what a change.....are you from there? Good luck on the move..

Suppossed to be 55deg f tomorrow...hope to get several flights in myself.

Can't wait for the good weather when I can fly several days or nightsat a time, this waiting for the week end and HOPING the weather will cooperate is a pain in the a**

Just got 2 new hextronic 2200's so I would like to give them a try....now have 4 sets of flight packs....that should be enough for a while....about $500 in lipos....
mjdee14 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2008, 11:23 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

No, not from there. Just decided enough is enough for South Africa - so we're off to live in Brisbane. Nice... Flying on the 1st of March..

I'm trying to find some Kong Power 3300 packs... 2200 packs are pretty good though.. Plenty flight time, it seems. I'm off to a bigger field this morning to try some 'harder' flights. When I say harder.. yes, left to right fly bys... pretty basic stuff..
Old 02-16-2008, 03:36 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

6 minutes in some pretty strong, but steady winds... Flying about, slow steady turns...

1504 taken out of the packs! Not bad! Will up the head speed a bit more, And stick with 6 minutes on the next flight...
Old 02-16-2008, 04:25 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Cralis,
I hope you enjoy Brissie, its a nice city and almost perfect climate. Just a few places to get parts for your Heli:
www.wattsuprc.com.au they are in Brisbane but web only I believe.
www.takeoffandland.com.au they are in Perth but next day postage if urgent

There are a few others but both the above are excellent to deal with.

Eddy
bearwood is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2008, 05:24 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think alot of your tail wobble would be to do with your low head speed. Not many use a 13 tooth on a Z20 but if you can get the model to fly OK with this headspeed then you will get the best out of your flight times which seems to be your main aim at the moment.

Congats on your move down under or I suppose in your case sideways. You will love it here. I have quite a few South Affrican friends and they have never regreted the move.
Kepler is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2008, 11:12 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks Aussies! Yeah, I'm really looking forward to getting there and settling. I see the Reds had a good win on Friday, so at least I'll still have a rugby side to support.

I have been looking at hobby shops there. Prices are WAY better than what is offered here in South Africa... So, I can crash more now!! hehe..
Old 02-17-2008, 02:44 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Cralis, what about your DX7, dont you have to buy a new one in Oz with a certification sticker on it?
Zoobie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2008, 03:33 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Not sure... My DX7 is from the USA anyway.. But not sure.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:11 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The "C Tick" is a requirement of the Aust Model Assoc and it's all about Insurance litigation. Some clubs will let you fly without it, some clubs won't.

The Australian importer imports the Spektrum radios from JR and they come with a C Tick from the Factory (Some radios were sold here without the C Tick, not sure what those owners have done about that). The same factory puts the Horizon Hobby label on the US radios so they meet the same specs etc. I have seen a report that Modelflight (Aust importer) will C Tick a foreign radio if you send it to them with an appropriate fee. I have not pursued this avenue. My radio is a US import.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:18 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'll need to buy a sticker then.. Sounds like a money making scam.

OK, anyone in Aus got an old sticker for me?

I'm not too bothered.. I'll make a plan...
Old 02-17-2008, 04:39 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Just thought you might want to dump it in SA, before you go over, might be worth looking into, just saw that one of the Oz guys bought locally because of the legislation? Perhaps you could PM one of them, I am also "interested" in their response.:-)
Old 02-17-2008, 04:45 AM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

It may not be a scam - the DX7's in the UK are set up to have less power than the US ones, it may be something similar in Aus
Mikej is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2008, 05:40 AM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks for that bearwood, so I will have to actually have my radio "accredidted". Are the RC laws pretty strict over there? (sorry for deviating from the thread Cralis)
Old 02-17-2008, 02:52 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

This has been and probably still is a hot topic. My spin is that it is a political thing.

But to answer the question, yes Australia is very regulated and almost draconian in its rule making departments.

Do a search on Spectrum C Tick and read to your hearts content. There is enough there to make a wet day go by with ease.

There must be a way of getting the imported DX7 certified here, otherwise it would be seen as anticompetitive by he regulating body. Just not sure what sort of handstands you have to do to get it certified. It may be as simple as contacting Modelflight in Adelaide. There must be allowances for people who immigrate such as Cralis and zoobie?, who bring there radio with them.
If it was a frequency radio it would be a different story as only certain freqs are allowed here. 72mhz is not allowed!

I too would like to see what this sticker actually looks like.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:34 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think I can easily get 10 minutes of mild 3d with my 3300 packs as I only put back 2400mah in 7 minutes of flight.
vicrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in